Just got the news k-2 split!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Aug 14, 2013.

1. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

Ok I am blown away by the thought of having to teach k thru second grade. How is this done? I've taught a 1-2 split but k mixed in???? What are the kinders doing as I'm teaching a 30 min la block twice? I have a meeting to discuss it. I am hoping they at least let the 1 second grader go because that would be one less grade to teach. If that's the case, if anyone has experience teaching k-1 please tell me how it's done. How does the day look? K is usually taught through centers where first is centers only if u get done your work. Please help me, I'm baffled by the whole thing.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2013

How many students in total?

4. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

There is 15 altogether. No aide

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 16, 2013

Is this a split class or a multi-age class?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2013

Congratulations!

7. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 17, 2013

teacherpippi Is this a split class or a multi-age class?
    This is a split. They combined due to low numbers. I have early testers for k. and 1 second grader. The rest r avg. first graders. I'm wondering how to schedule everything. I know k should learn through centers every day. I need them to be occupied for 45 min for la and then la again for second grader. How is that possible? Do I need to change centers every day?

8. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 17, 2013

Whoa...am I reading this right...you have only ONE second-grader?

Could they not fit that one second-grader into another second grade room?

If I was the father of that child, I'd be quite upset...that he/she was in a room with none of his/her peers.

I don't feel that administration made a wise decision.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 17, 2013

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "early testers for K" mean, are they high Kinders?

Are you doing small group instruction? Because I think that would be the ideal place to do those mini-lessons on objectives that are more graduated. The objectives are the same in many ways-for example they are all learning phonics-just different levels. 1st Graders could certainly benefit from workstations as well and you could just be rotating the whole class through stations and small group instruction.

10. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 17, 2013

He is the only second grader in the whole building. The father doesn't seem to care. I think admin needs to say that they are not offering a second grade.

11. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 17, 2013

Early testers are kids who didn't make the cut off date so our admin lets them test in ( per the parents request) it's a mess. I just can't figure out how to rotate workstations so I don't have to change out stations everyday. So for la block I have 4 workstations 4 based on k needs and 4 based on first? Then do it all again for math?

12. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 17, 2013

Check into Daily 5 & CAFE. It can work very well for multi-age classes (I've used it in a 1-3 class before). Even if you don't use it, the 10 steps for teaching independence is really good.

Do you have a program for math or is it open?

Do you have specific standards (Common Core)? If a private school, do you have a focus?

13. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 17, 2013

We use Saxon math and the phonics and reading curriculum for k is just a list of standards and its up to the teacher to come up with the activities. First grade uses bought on muffling spelling and reading A to Z. Ill look into the daily 5. I have the book but never read it. I'm worried about the independent levels of k, especially at the beginning of the year.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 17, 2013

You could use the same workstation materials, just have activities at different levels. So if they were using magnetic letters you could have the K kiddos matching letters to sounds and the 1st graders actually using them to make words. Same with math-the Kinder kids could be counting with manipulatives and the 1st doing a place value activity with them.

I had a split for summer school once and did this, I just color coded their "I Can" lists-the 1st graders did the blue activity/Kinder the green. Most activities I leave up in their workstations for at least a week, maybe more depending on how many kids actually get to rotate there.

15. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 17, 2013

Wow, I had never heard of such a thing...how frustrating!

Is this a public school? If so, I don't believe admin can say, "We're not offering a second grade." However, perhaps there are alternatives (e.g., busing him to a nearby school where there are more second-graders).

I'm guessing this is a VERY small school (population).

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

I think the kid would be better off shoved with 3rd than K/1. (Edit: Actually, maybe not. I guess it depends on how high he is. :|)

Daily 5/CAFE will be your best bet. Good luck!