Just got my first interview! Portfolio help, please?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by yellowdaisies, Apr 9, 2012.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 9, 2012

Just got my first interview for a teaching job! Portfolio help, please?

I went to a charter schools job fair last month, and today I got a magic e-mail, as a direct result of the job fair, to schedule an interview with a really great charter school I'd LOVE to work for! :D My interview is next Saturday.

They are asking to bring a portfolio. I've never created a portfolio, so my question is -what does it need to include?

So far I'm thinking:
    - necessary documents (credential, copies of transcripts, etc)
    - letters of rec
    - lesson plans
    - student work samples
    - classroom management plan
    - and...?
    - I also created a project for my masters degree that includes a teacher handbook about having high expectations of students from low-income communities and the asset vs deficit perspective, so would it be beneficial to include some of the handbook? (I say "some" because the handbook portion of my project is 55 pages...) The school has a large # of students from low-income homes, so it's very relevant.

I've seen lots of people talking about portfolios on here, but they have usually already had a classroom and can include pictures of their room set up, etc...I have never had my own classroom, so I can't really include a lot of those things...

I am using a binder with a clear sleeve in the front, because that's what I've usually seen used. I also have a box of page protectors for this. Does that sound ok?

Last question - What do I do about pictures???? I'm assuming student pictures are a big no no? I have student pictures from my after school jobs during college, as well as from student teaching and my current after school job.

Thanks everyone! This forum has helped me SO much already!! I created a brochure and put together packets in folders for the job fair based on info I got here, and I guess it paid off! :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2012

You can use pictures and just block out student faces. I would try to include some of the handbook but in an abbreviated form...maybe turn some of it into a brochure.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 9, 2012

Thanks! I've seen people block out student faces using happy face stickers - is that really cheesy? I think it's kind of cute, but that's just me...haha.

I like the idea of including some of the handbook in an abbreviated form - it's actually really lends itself to a brochure format, so I'll see what I can do.. :)

5. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 9, 2012

Do you have the pictures saved on your hard drive or a CD? If you have photshop or another editing program you could just go through and blur out the faces? That might make you feel a bit better than the sticker approach. I think the more confident you are going in about everything makes for a better interview. Good Luck! :)