just got job (6th grade)

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by Stephanie21, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Stephanie21

Stephanie21 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Hi everyone,
    I just got a job teaching 6th grade. The 6th graders are with me all day- no switching classes. It is in a tough area. I am a little nervous and a little excited. I taught 5th grade 2 years ago in a well off area (it was my first year). It was a little chaotic- I got the job a week before school started, had 34 students in a tiny room with no supplies or help- even with 4 kids with IEPs in my room. I left there and subbed all last year in an inner city- K to 8th grade. I have been looking for a job non-stop since about May 06 and finally got this 6th grade job this morning.

Anyway, how different is 6th from 5th? I want to know what to expect.

Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 19, 2007

Congratulations, Stephanie. Good for you.

6th graders are even more social than 5th graders. They are distracted by hormones and increasing expectations. They may be expected to take notes for the first time and not be prepared.

Will you be in a K-6 elementary building? That is a little easier than if you are in a middle school setting.

4. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

Congratulations

on your new job:)
    Good luck you will do fine!!!

5. Stephanie21

Stephanie21 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

The school is K-8th but there is a seperate building for 6-8th grades. It is a little strange of a set up I think. Sixth graders have one teacher and 7th and 8th graders switch classes- weird (I dont know why they dont just keep them in the elementary building- maybe no room). The elementary building (K-5) is right across the parking lot though. Thanks for your help though!

6. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I taught 5th for my first year and at the end of that year, the school board decided to keep 6th at the elementary school. So I taught the same kids for 6th grade during my second year. We switched classes though, meaning I actually taught 5th and 6th at separate times. From my experience of seeing them one group after another, and seeing the same group go from 5th to 6th, I would say that 6th graders (from my experience) mature a lot during the time from 5th to 6th. I thoroughly enjoyed my 6th graders and can't say the same about my particular group of 5th graders.

I think you will find them to be enjoyable. Yes, they are at a stage where hormones are running wild, but they are independent and can do a lot of fun projects.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

First of all Congratulations on your new job! It is a bit strange that the 6th will be self-contained in the same building where the 7 and 8th grade is departmentalized! I don't know. I think because 6th graders are such social beings, you will need to plan interesting projects for meeting the state standards. I suppose the good thing about self-contained is you can integrate your curriculum. This will allow you much more time to really dig deep into certain areas. Just make sure you have a lot of time filler activities ready for those moments where you just need a break. Also, try to incorporate as much technology as possible....internet, videos, power points, etc...
    Best wishes to you!! You'll enjoy the 6th grade!

8. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I teach 6th grade in a self-contained classroom (we do switch for Math). We are in a Middle School, where 7/8 is departmentalized. I love it, actually. It's a "soft landing" for kids going into the middle school. They get a lot of the benefits of being there (lots of exploratory subjects, etc. etc.) but they have the safety of a homeroom class for their core subjects.

9. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Congrats!

My only advice is to have fun with the students. Show them where the lines are drawn and keep them on their toes. I had a couple of toughies last year and I killed 'em with kindness and humor. I needed to be firm and tough with them, but they knew if they were on task and above the line, I could have fun with them. This kept the behavior down and they had a great year.

Congrats again, I hope you enjoy your new position.

10. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I taught a 5/6 split last year. The 6th graders seemed more mature in some things (they could control their giggles most of the time), but definitely more hormonal, and seemed to have more what I would call "territorial issues." They are all trying to establish their place in the room. I will be teaching 6th grade self contained this year also, in a k-6 school.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

Congrats!!

12. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I think you'll enjoy 6th! Congrats!

13. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Congratulations! I don't have too much advice for you as I just got my first 6th grade teaching job as well. I student taught in a 6th grade classroom a few years ago, but I feel like by the time I got there (in January) it was already established and had it's momentum. I'm still trying to figure out how I'll get that going for my own room in September! :)

14. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Firm, fair, consistent and keep your sense of humor. Don't sweat the small stuff . . . You will do a great job!