just got hired.

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by GiGi27, Jul 25, 2014.

1. GiGi27

GiGi27 Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

So I finally just got hired as an elementary art teacher after searching for about a year. I am really excited about this opportunity but I am also a little nervous. I was just wondering if any fellow art teachers can give me any advice on being a first year art teacher. I just I am more nervous about getting things together for september. I am sharing a room with another art teacher so the room is set up already. Im thinking in terms of lesson plans. Do I spend the rest of the summer planning for the whole year or the first few months? I am unsure of what else I should be doing to prepare for the school year. The principal has not said anything yet about ordering art supplies so im guessing they have some from the other teacher or might talk to me about it closer to the school year. But what kinds of office materials should i invest in? Any advice will be helpful.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

Not an art teacher, but just wanted to say "Congrats!"

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 26, 2014

congrats! im not an art teacher but do you have an overall unit map and curriclum that must be followed? I know that I only plan a few months ahead because things always change, especially being new you may want to focuss on the first days of expectations and the first few months instead of planning the whole year to realize that you want to change it. Dont know if that is good advice but it's what i got :)

5. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Aug 30, 2014

Hey all the best on your art teacher job, dont get nervous and stay cool. every thing going to be in order, after some course of time and plan everything well in advance and be prepared what to teach kids.

6. AnnieC

AnnieC Rookie

Feb 28, 2015

Congratulations! I am also not an art teacher, but would love to teach art one day! Kids love art, and it's one of those fun classes that they look forward to, good luck and lots of success to you throughout your journey as a teacher! :)

7. ArtTeacher01

ArtTeacher01 Rookie

Mar 2, 2015

Good times... I am an art teacher! :)

So, for the first year, you are in a great position with another art teacher to bounce ideas off. This other teachers should be able to give you a lot of advice on expectations at your school, scheduling, supplies, etc...

For planning, I would not plan too far ahead until you have some more experience with your students. I would check if your district has a curriculum. My state does not, so I created my own. The map gives me a general plan for what standards I plan to cover during each block of time throughout the year.

I suggest not setting any hard and fast dates for anything, because you will find that it is difficult to keep an exact plan because of field trips, testing, special events, etc... All of which cause some classes to miss art.

Pro Tip: I teach elementary currently as well. I plan for all grades to use the same materials at the same time so you are not constantly putting away and getting out materials between classes.

I hope that helps. I'm on here fairly frequently these days, so you're welcome to ask any questions that come up.

Adam

8. TayTeach

TayTeach New Member

Apr 14, 2015

Well Done - useful tool

Hey, I am not an Art Teacher (Psych, Sociology). I have been using a website to share student work. It is pretty good for motivating and thought it might be useful for Art?

It is called Walldisplay. Let me know what you think!

9. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

May 30, 2015

Congratulations, GiGi27. I am an art teacher, and I've taught K-8th grade Art for 4 years now. I feel like I'm still learning, let me tell you. I agree with artteacher01 that I wouldn't try to plan too far in advance, especially since at this point you don't know about supplies, you haven't had a chance to meet/work with your new students, etc. I would suggest looking up your states standards for the arts, as well as checking to see if your school district has a set art curriculum. Another thing, since you are going to be sharing your room with another art teacher, if it's possible to contact him/her I would! Being able to collaborate with another teacher, especially as a FIRST year art teacher, I see as a gift! There is indeed strength in numbers, don't be afraid to ask for help....as you have done here. :)
    Anyhow, congrats again to you!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2015

Congrats!