Just found out they hired someone else

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lamariposa, Aug 10, 2016.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2016

Everything is relative. Those of us who have jobs might seem to be in cushy positions....but regardless of our pay check or SES status of our districts, we have worked hard to earn our positions. We got good educations and experience, built our resumes through varied ways, made connections...and continue to do those things. And yes, we face bumps in the road in the form of administrators, parents, politics, work conditions...no one is saying any of this is easy....or 'cushy'.
    I've mentored student teachers, served on our hiring committee, and coached new teachers. I've seen and been a part of 'the process' and while I may work in a great place, I've seen decisions I scratch my head over and having taught in inner city, Title 1, yeah, I kind of know how hard, very hard it can be in some educational settings. But I also know what I bring to the table... it wasn't luck or nepotism or a rigged, corrupt system that got me my position. It was creating a competitive package through the qualities listed in the above, a LOT of work and passion, poise and professionalism. I empathize with those struggling in this tough educational climate-please consider though, that despite what seems like insurmountable conditions, there ARE teachers out there being hired because of what qualities they possess and not because of corruption. Rise above those situations if you run into them and reflect on how you can present a more competitive profile to those who are looking for the best fit for their open positions. Mindset matters.
    Good luck to you.

2. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 15, 2016

Great points. I'm really upset with myself for subbing and putting myself into a position to have to do it again, but it's not like it's anyone else's fault. I have to be better and I know that.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2016

It can be really hard to get a job in some places, even when you've done everything right. The reason I moved to my current district is that there were literally zero jobs or potential future jobs in my content area in my entire state. It didn't matter how amazing I was--there were no jobs. Sometimes moving or commuting are the only options. What I'm suggesting is that even in those cases, you still need a stellar resume and excellent interviewing skills. Control what you can, let go of what you can't, and be flexible wherever possible.

4. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 16, 2016

Don't beat yourself up. Its tough to break into this field. Your turn will come. It is a very crowded field at this point in time. Back in the day, they were begging for teachers, that is not the case anymore. The requirements to become a teacher are becoming more robust as well. In my state it went from a 2.5 to a 3.0 recently. Also, there are Praxis tests (core reading, writing and math) to declare your major in Education. This should thin out the field a little as many cannot pass those tests. It should ease up soon. Keep your head up.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 16, 2016

You'll see the pendulum will swing back and forth many times. When I graduated, teachers were pretty thick on the ground, got thin, got thick again, and got thin again. It's like a horrible yo-yo diet!

newteacher99 likes this.
  6. lamariposa

lamariposa Rookie

Aug 23, 2016

IDK how you guessed this but you did. My old para called me yesterday (first day of school) and told me that the new teacher told them she worked with the principal in her old school and they knew each other before that from church. Not only that, but she wasn't the only one the principal brought in. In total it was five teachers:eek:. The other 5 positions were filled from district. I'm still trying to understand how she was able to bring in 5 teachers from her old school ?????

You honestly cannot make this stuff up.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 23, 2016

If they were good, qualified teachers, what is wrong with her bringing them in? If the option exists, why not hire good teachers who are familiar rather than risking the unknown?

I think there are some bitter people on this board lately... :rolleyes:

Caesar753 likes this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2016

It saves the administrator valuable time and resources to hire candidates in whom he has confidence...confidence and trust based on past working relationships. All the more reason for job hunters to make connections Education is a small world. One never knows how a prior colleague/administrator could help you out with a recommendation or future position.

bella84 and Caesar753 like this.
  9. lamariposa

lamariposa Rookie

Aug 25, 2016

Point me to where I said I knew they weren't qualified tho??? No need to call anyone bitter. I was relaying information to another poster on something they said. Feel free to keep scrolling.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 25, 2016

You said:
    "The other 5 positions were filled from district. I'm still trying to understand how she was able to bring in 5 teachers from her old school ?????

You honestly cannot make this stuff up."

Whether or not you said they were unqualified is irrelevant. You didn't mention qualifications at all, one way or the other, yet you still seem to be personally offended.

11. DriventoTeach

DriventoTeach New Member

Aug 26, 2016

Some people never get the opportunity to be a teacher. It does not mean they did not have the ability. It is easy to blame a person when it worked for the person speaking. Everybody's experience is different. Substituting does not lead to a full time job for many people. Life is not always fair.

12. lamariposa

lamariposa Rookie

Aug 26, 2016

K but *you* brought up their qualifications?? And asked me what's wrong with bringing in good, qualified teachers?? Your words not mine. Me being offended or 'bitter' as you also said doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you saw fit to put words in my mouth and infer about what I wrote. Your roll eyes emoji added a nice touch too. Again, scroll on.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2016

I think you misinterpreted my first post... When I mentioned qualifications, I was saying that IF they were qualified, what is the problem? If they were unqualified, then I could see how you would be offended (assuming you are qualified). It would seem quite confusing... and insulting... to have unqualified people chosen over you, if you were more qualified. In that case, I would understand why you might be upset.

However, you did NOT say that they were unqualified, so I made the assumption that they were. You're right; those were my words, not yours.

So, that's why I said in my second post that it didn't matter whether or not you brought up qualifications. I was not trying to put words in your mouth. My point was that you sound personally offended by this, but I really don't see the problem with the principal hiring people who are qualified.

I don't mean to call you out personally for being bitter, but I guess I've just read enough posts here where the job seeker had blamed administrators for being unprofessional and promoting nepotism rather than acknowledging that there could be actual, valid reasons why they didn't get the job... Although it's an understandable defense mechanism, it gives off a "bitter" vibe when a job seeker portrays this as the reason that they didn't get a job.

I apologize for offending you, but I stand by what I said. And, I'll continue to feel free to read and post on any thread that I would like on this board.

Caesar753 likes this.
  14. lamariposa

lamariposa Rookie

Aug 27, 2016

I apologize too. I realize now I came off as hella defensive to you. My original post sorta explained why I was upset I didn't even get considered for that specific position, especially now that I found out that she has none of the certifications and will have to get trained. And then learning there were 9 other job openings I never even knew about. I hesitated to go into further details because I figure anyone can match up my info and find out what specific district this is if they really wanted to. But the school the other teachers were pulled from was a low-performance school where they have extended hours because they scored low on reading. My disbelief at the situation included the amount of pull she must have to be able to transfer multiple teachers out of that school when it's usually unheard of. So finding out all this and then realizing I was never even a factor after working a year there did make me feel crappy. But posting here about this was helfpul and I got a lot of good feedback I've since applied and will continue to do so. I'm really glad I found this board.