Just found out I'm being transferred AGAIN!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mellz Bellz, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jun 12, 2012

I'm totally devestated. Came in this morning for our second to last workday and I got an e-mail from our EC director wanting me to call her about my position. I know I'm safe because I just signed my contract for next year yesterday. Turns out that they are cutting an inclusion teacher at my building (huge surprise) and that since I'm the lowest man on the totem pole I'm the one who has to move. This makes three different schools in three years of teaching.

Devestated can't even exactly describe how I feel. I'm SOOO happy here in my new building and love all my co-workers. I really feel like I'm an essential piece to the team. I've invested so much this year and have already began to start preparing for the incoming 6th graders. I've even met with a few of their parents! I've been crying all morning. I have a choice of three new positions: a split between the other middle school and high school, a full time inclusion position at the other middle school, or a full time inclusion position at the HS on the other side of the county. I wouldn't mind the middle school position, but it is at least 40 minutes from home versus the 25 minute commute I have now. I don't know what to do. Several of my coworkers are really upset at this desicion because there is an older teacher in my dept who has no clue what she's doing and they feel I would be the better person for the job.

Right now I have a day or two to consider my options. The commute will be an issue for me. I am also getting very fed up with being shafted every year to different schools. I am considering e-mailing our head of human resources to see if there are going to be any positions availble in elementary or 6th grade next year and if there are to please keep me in mind. I would hate to have to leave Special Ed, but I need more stability. What do you guys think? Also our instructional facilitator said that he would speak to our head of Special Ed about me staying since he feels that I would be the best person for the job. There is also the possibility of a self-contained position being added to my building. I don't love self-contained, I pretty much hated it last year, but it might be my only other option. :(

3. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jun 12, 2012

Look for another job, but do not quit until you find one. I had the same thing happen my first 6 years of teaching. Every single year I was moved due to no fault of my own. I switched to another county last year, and I am so happy I get to go back to the same class next school year. This county is ran so much more effectively.

TAKE CARE!

4. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jun 12, 2012

Thanks for the advice. My administration is really trying to fight for me, but my current P is leaving in a few weeks so he can't do too much unfortunately. I'm just crossing my fingers that something works out. There is a 6th grade Social Studies/Science position in my building possibly open for next year because the teacher has been out half the year for health reasons and says she's coming back next year, but I don't know if that'll actually happen. She can technically retire, so if that is open I'm hoping to be considered for the position. * crosses fingers*

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

I would definitely let others know that you are interested in staying at this school in any way possible. Talk yourself up and write a resume and cover letter, just in case (with a new P coming in, you never know).

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 12, 2012

Personally, the way the economy is right now, I wouldn't look for a job in another school district. However, I would definitely let Human Resources (or whoever else will listen) know that you're interested in staying at your current school.

Best wishes and keep us posted!

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2012

I'm sorry to hear that- how frustrating! I agree that you should let them know you're wanting to stay in the current school any way possible- and if you do look elsewhere, I think it goes without saying don't give up your current job until you're sure you have something else lined up!

8. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jun 12, 2012

I e-mailed the head of HR this afternoon explaining the situation and requesting that I be considered for any K-6 jobs that may open up through retirements or resignations. I've also spoken to my administrators of my current school and let them know that if anything in 6th grade opens up to please keep me in mind. I just heard that the Social Studies/Science teacher will be coming back next year after all, but there have also been rumors about having seperate Social Studies and Science classes next year which may require an extra teacher, so I'm hoping.

In the meantime I plan on going in and having a talk with our Sp Ed director and accepting the middle school position, but letting her know that I have expressed interest in general ed positions closer to home and if one does come availble I intend on taking it. I am hoping that things will work themselves out. I suppose I've done just about all I can do for the time being.

I may also see if there are any other positions posted anywhere else in another district, but I am afraid of being cut in the long run. Why is teaching such a frustrating profession?

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2012

I found out I'm moving to another grade yesterday. While it will be in the same school I can totally, totally sympathize with feeling like you had plans for things and things ready for next year. It's like I had this whole idea of something and now it's gone and lost. Since we started common core this year I felt like I invested a lot in planning each unit. I hope you find something where there will be some positives to look at.

10. Jimhassel

Jimhassel Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

I agree with this one. You should try to look for another option and continue with the same until you get another one. And same time try to talk and convene your management. hope you get the best one.

11. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jun 13, 2012

Now today I get an e-mail from our head of EC offering me a part time split between my current school and the high school. So far that is my best option, but I am not thrilled about being split. Also coming from an elementary background the idea of HS just terrifies me. I'm meeting with her this afternoon to discuss the position and how the split is supposed to work. I am also still planning on trying to find a reg ed position in the district. I know that there are postings for K-6 teachers on our county website. *crosses fingers*

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2012

Find out if you get to submit an expense report for your mileage between the two schools. My school reimburses me for gas spent traveling on its behalf.

13. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jun 13, 2012

The middle and high school are just up the road from each other so mileage between the schools is not really an issue.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 13, 2012

Okay, that's a better scenario than having to drive that extra 20 minutes from your home. You'll also get to see your MS kids as they hit the high school, and you'll be an anchor for one another in new surroundings as they grow up and you get acclimated. There are a lot of positives to this arrangement.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

I went from an elementary background to HS. The change really isn't all that bad, especially since you've been in the middle school.