Just for fun...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tired Teacher, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 2, 2019

We only have a 4 day week coming up. If you feel up to it, look for humor in the day. I am curious how many funny stories we could have on here by next weekend.
    If nothing seems funny to you, try to find something you are thankful for.
    Last week, I saved my sanity by making up part of a song. I started singing in my head. The chorus had to do w/ : You waste my time, but it is on your dime. ( It REALLY is a waste.) I'll perfect it by the end of the yr in my 2 wasted hours weekly. :)

Backroads likes this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 2, 2019

We are heading into our first week of school; I'm sure there will be some funny stories to share as we get to know each other this week.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 2, 2019

I have a three-day week. Today (Labor Day) and tomorrow I took off to take my kid to her medical clinic.

I am anticipating humor.

Reason 1) This will only be the second week of school, meaning I only had last week to teach them classroom behavior.

Reason 2) Building off of reason 1, I obviously have a sub for tomorrow. She is brilliant and knows the school better than I, but I'm also probably throwing her to the wolves.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 2, 2019

Oh, having a sub this early in the ballgame would bring a lot of humor for sure! :) I am a big chicken to get subs this early because I know I would come back to chaos.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 2, 2019

Hah!

I actually apologized to her and the secretary for the early thing. When we schedule this, we begged for an August date (per our recommended clinic schedule, it should have been August) but the clinic was booked.

So... my deepest apologies and good luck to you, Ms. Sub!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 2, 2019

We had fun introducing our dogs to our new guinea pig. They keep trying to smell of her butt. They aren’t sure about her yet. She makes the cutest noises, and she seems to love her big enclosure in my classroom.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Sep 2, 2019

We got caterpillars last week and most of them had hatched by Friday... hoping they're all still alive and well tomorrow and that none of them have eaten the smaller ones :D

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 7, 2019

I looked for humor and found a bit :) There is 1 teacher/aide who is really kind in ways, but doesn't have a filter. She has been in a feud w/ the P for yrs. I was in a room w/ 2 other people and her for a duty. Unbeknownst to her, the P was sitting outside the door. The door was cracked open.
    She was venting about the P when I caught a glimpse of him. I tried every facial contortion I could make to shut her up. I have never gotten to know that group very well and no1 was picking up on my signals. ( Anyone who knows me would have known instantly what I was saying, but I had to have looked pretty spastic to them.)
    Finally, all I could do was point out something unusual in the room and go on and on about it until she stopped talking about him. By then 1 other teacher had noticed the P eavesdropping. It was like a lightbulb went off in her head. I do not think the other 2 ever noticed it and both probably spent sometime wondering what was wrong with me.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 7, 2019

Ok, I think it is more cute than funny, but here it goes.
    I teach independent study, and one of my student, let's call her Maria (Not her real name) comes every week, like clockworks right on time, behind on credit so she's working super hard, and does a lot of work and gets good grades. Last year she didn't tell me she was pregnant, and by the time she was showing I didn't want to ask, because you know, you can be wrong. She really didn't look that pregnant, even at 8 months.Then about a month before her due date she tells me that she will have a baby. She actually came in twice on that week to pick up her work, just in case she was going to miss her appointment.
    Then a week later she's back, said everything went well, she has a boy. About a month later she comes with 2 babies!
    She said one baby is hers and the other is her mom's ! They were pregnant at the same time, actually I think the mom was due a month later, but they ended up having the babies 1 day apart.
    So Maria's baby is a boy, and he is the nephew of the other baby, who is a girl and is actually 1 day younger. I had to take a moment to process that. Both beautiful babies and good babies, she often brings both, sometimes the mom comes as well (it's allowed). The mom is very young, very pretty and very nice, I love them both and the 2 babies who will grow up as brothers and sisters but they're aunt and nephew .

I have another student, she's 14, and I knew that her brother comes to independent study at the same time she comes, but to a different teacher. One day I made a reference to him, she said "he's not my brother, he's my uncle " (only 3 years older)

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 7, 2019

This in itself is funny to me...lol I went from tiny to huge w/ my first. Even after 1 month of having him, I was still really swollen in the tum area. Someone saw me in a store and asked, "When are you going to have that baby?" At the time, it was not really funny, but looking back, I can smile! That is just 1 of those questions best left unasked, for sure!
    That is awesome you have a student that motivated too. My family can get really confusing like that too because I had my 1st young while others had theirs much later in life. I love that you can see the joy in both babies! :)

Linguist92021 likes this.
  12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 9, 2019

I took a kid's desk away.

He's a sweet kid. He's not even the one I peg as "squirrely". But, dang it all, I have never seen a desk used so much as a toy!

I wasn't even particularly angry. Just, wow, let's try keeping you in just a chair for a while when we're not elsewhere. Thought it amusing.

13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 13, 2019

I never thought of taking a kid's desk away from him until last yr. I had a few who were unsafe w/ desks, made noise a lot with desks, and about drove me batty. I started taking desks away and having them work at a counter (standing). You put squirrels with squirrels and you are going to get nuts!

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 13, 2019

Was that going to go nuts, or someone's going out to get the nuts? ;)

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Sep 14, 2019

Both! The squirrels drove me nuts!