Just for Fun: Introvert or Extrovert?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Furthuron, May 16, 2013.

1. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

May 16, 2013

I had my students take a Myers-Briggs-type personality test last week, and it got me thinking...

I talked wtih my co-teacher after class, and I told her I was a "Super Introvert." She was surprised because I'm very chatty with my classes. However, I require a lot of quiet time in class, and once the kids are gone for the day, I retire into my warm, comfy shell behind my computer to work. I don't want to collaborate if I don't have to. I don't want to talk to other teachers or the custodian. I just want to be alone - not because I don't like other people, but because I need to re-energize after a long, busy day.

In researching introverts and teaching, I found that we are few and far between, which was surprising to me since it seems like teaching can be a lonesome job for extroverts since you get little adult interaction.

Thoughts? Are you an introvert or an extrovert? How do you get what you need socialy (or antisocially) in either case in a job that requires you to be "on" all day?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 16, 2013

I think I am exactly in the middle of the introvert-extrovert spectrum.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 16, 2013

Definitely an introvert even though I am very talkative and sociable.

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 16, 2013

Me too. I tend to be an extrovert in that I crave stimulation through conversation & being around people, but I also can't just jump into a conversation with a complete stranger, and sometimes I get stumped when trying to continue a discussion, like I'm not sure what to say. Because of this, I can feel a bit anxious when I have to go to new places or meet new people alone, and would rather skip the event or whatever entirely.

I have taken the test before, and I was classified as an extrovert, but I do think that (as I'm sure with everyone) it can change depending on the situation. I think my letters were ESTJ...don't recall completely.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 16, 2013

Very much an introvert.

Put me in a room of students or a room of colleagues and I can be very talkative. (But, I must have time afterward to decompress)

Put me in any other situation and I am not talkative AT ALL.

I MUST have alone time. I crave alone time. My husband is traveling this week and it has been awesome to be alone at home. I will love when he comes back, too, though.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2013

Research that identifies most teachers as extroverts is probably research produced by extroverts, frankly.

8. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

May 16, 2013

I am a total extrovert. I am married to a complete introvert, and he is a high school teacher as well.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 16, 2013

I am very much an extrovert married to an introvert. Our children inherited his tendencies.

10. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 16, 2013

ku_alum, just out of curiosity, what do you do while home alone?

I say this because I'm not great at entertaining myself. I've been on maternity leave and going a little crazy. I'm worried for when my husband goes back to work next week and I'll be alone all day with the baby-how the heck will I occupy myself when everyone I know is at work?? I really feel like entertaining yourself when alone is a skill, and definitely not one I have mastered!

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 16, 2013

My MB test classified me as an INTP, and I've been an introvert most of my life. However, working at a job like this, I find that I interact a lot with not only my students but also my co-workers, and I relish attending PDs and collaborating after school. I may not be completely comfortable with it, however as I sometimes get nervous talking and I find that I do NEED my alone time quite frequently. (Some days I just need to keep my door shut at lunch and at preps and get some alone time away from everyone, and I like to leave as soon as I can from school after my contracted time because I need to be home in my comfort zone to complete whatever work I need to do -- I'm rarely productive on the horrible computers at work anyway).

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 16, 2013

I read, walk the dogs, watch favorite tv programs, surf the net, tidy up.

13. platypusok

platypusok Companion

May 16, 2013

complete introvert

I have no problem with large groups of kids or small groups of my coworkers but big groups of coworkers stress me out.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2013

15. Tom_B

Tom_B Rookie

May 16, 2013

I am defiantly an introvert. I am sociable and work well with people but at the end of the day when its time to unwind and recharge I need some quiet alone time.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 16, 2013

I'm an introvert, but I'm also a bit shy.

I have no trouble being "on" at work, and I'm sociable with friends.

I require a lot of quiet time, and I enjoy my down time.

In new situations or around strangers I can be shy. The combination of introverted and shy leads some people to believe that I'm standoffish and not friendly. I'm really the opposite.

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 16, 2013

This is me! I'm not the type to initial a conversation if I don't know you, though.

18. Sweet_P

Sweet_P Rookie

May 17, 2013

^^^ This is me exactly.

I'm definitely an introvert and kind of shy. I'm trying to work on it, but I'm also not the type to initiate conversation (but if you talk to me I'll respond.) I feel much more comfortable in small groups and I appreciate my alone time (I feel kind of bad for saying this, but I love it when my family leaves and I get the house all to myself.) I'm also a huge homebody as well.

19. MsTeresa

MsTeresa Rookie

May 17, 2013

Interesting thread :)

Myers-briggs always says I'm introverted (INFJ) and nerdtests says I am balanced. But honestly I don't know..

I work well with people, and I hate being alone, but at the same time, some social situations do make me feel drained and often anxious, so I need to recharge. And I am definitely not a social butterfly. Large groups especially stress me out- I do prefer small groups/ one-on-one interactions. Also, I tend to be shy.

But if I am around people I know well, I never need alone time- I need to remind myself to leave people alone sometimes. At home as a child I always got into trouble for talking too much to my siblings while they were trying to do their homework. Every spare moment I had, I would find someone to talk to at home.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 18, 2013

I am an Introvert with a capital "I"! I love my job, collaborating with colleagues, working with my students. But that hour drive home at the end of the day is necessary for me to re-charge.

21. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

May 20, 2013

I'm an INFJ too. We're unique individuals for sure (less than 2% of the population)! :)

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 20, 2013

This!

I spent the entire day on Saturday with one of my best friends from college and my boyfriend (both more extroverted). I had a great time, but I was completely worn out and in desperate need of some quiet time by that evening...

Also, I don't consider interactions with kids the same as interactions with other adults--to me they are completely different.

23. bison

bison Habitué

May 20, 2013

Extroverted introvert. I'm very social and enjoy the company of others, but I can't survive without plenty of alone time to recharge and relax.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 20, 2013

I would have called myself an Introvert, but your test tells me that I'm balanced.

25. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

May 21, 2013

Every time I take the Myers Briggs test, I get INFP. I take some other version of it, because I always feel like, "No really, I'm more of an objective person! I'm an awesome public speaker, and I'm not a spineless weanie! And by golly, I've learned to be better organized!" Then, I get the same answer. I'm doomed, naturally, to be an INFP.

So, I think it's all a spectrum, and I think we learn methods to deal with some of our natural personality attributes that make life a little more difficult. As an introvert, I live in an extrovert's world, and over time, I've learned how to play the part of the extrovert, especially in front of a classroom. When I get home, however, I need complete silence for a little while. Luckily my husband is also an introvert that works for the public, so we both get home, give each other a kiss, and sit in near complete silence until dinner time.

26. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

May 22, 2013

This is my husband and me as well! :thumb:

I don't see INFPs as spineless weenies, though. Isn't that the Idealist? Are you thinking you're an INTP?

27. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

May 22, 2013

No, it's the INFP. Not exactly spineless, but an individual who avoids confrontation like the plague. I don't like confrontation, but it's not something I'm afraid of.

28. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

May 24, 2013

What I meant was isn't the INFP the Idealist? I see what you mean, though. I do naturally want to avoid confrontation, but as a teacher, it's part of the job and must be addressed.

29. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2013

I just took this recently, and I am an ISFJ. My personality has actually really shifted over the last 10 years or so. When I took the test about 5 years ago in college, I was an ENFJ. As I've taken the test over the years I've gotten less E and more I progressively, and now I am very decidedly an introvert. So I am an extrovert turned introvert.

I seem like an extrovert among my close friends, but I do need time to decompress after being in social situations. It is very, very hard for me to become comfortable in new situations and with new people. Meeting new people is actually extremely stressful for me, but I love being in situations where I know people. I am in my first year of teaching, and one of the most stressful elements for me was getting to know my coworkers. I am naturally shy in new situations and it was a struggle to "put myself out there." Meanwhile, my coworker friend, also a new teacher, made lots of friends with other teachers at our school very easily. Sometimes that aspect of my personality really frustrates me - I wish it were easier. But it has paid off and I now feel very comfortable with my coworkers.

My husband is an introvert, too, but a stronger one than I am I think. The major difference between us is that I need to process out loud, so I talk a lot and share with him or to my mom or one of my 3 closest friends...but no one beyond that, really.

I am super outgoing and upbeat with my kids, but I need to sit in my quiet classroom at the end of the day for a bit to recharge. My 25 minute commute helps with that, too. :)

ISFJs avoid confrontation, too. I recently experienced this at work, and it was so interesting how my coworker (who is a STRONG extrovert) reacted to a situation completely differently than I did.

30. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

May 27, 2013

Yes, you're right. I think the idea goes that the INFP will avoid personal confrontation, but when it comes to a value or ideal that is being crossed, they can become dogged defenders. I have found this to be true for me, but I have had to learn to be better at dealing with more personal confrontations.

31. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 28, 2013

I'm surprised so many teachers are introverted. It always surprised me when I was in my teaching classes in college and there were people in them who were scared to get up and speak in front of the class. I always wondered how those people would do teaching a class full of high school students.

32. ATwainedTeacher

ATwainedTeacher Rookie

May 28, 2013

That's quite a common misconception about introverts. I am an introvert, but I am an excellent public speaker and spent most of my time in high school and college on the stage either in plays or speaking at conferences. I've never been nervous speaking in front of a large audience if I am properly prepared. Introversion does not equate to shyness, but rather it is a way of interacting with the world. I am more energized by my time alone, and I can become drained by too much social interaction. I'm often mistaken for shy, because when I am in a room full of people talking, I don't really care to talk. I enjoy listening. This doesn't mean I have some social anxiety, however.

I understand what you mean about the people who ARE afraid to speak in front of a crowd, however. Then again, very few people are tailor-made for teaching, so I imagine most of us have personality traits we have to overcome to be better teachers.

33. bison

bison Habitué

May 28, 2013

As ATwainedTeacher said, this doesn't necessarily have to do with being introverted. Public speaking is a skill that most people build, often not until college. I used to get nervous speaking in front of a class of peers because it was completely new, not because I'm introverted. With practice I have become fairly comfortable and maybe even good at it. I was always fine speaking to a large group of children. It's not really the same.

34. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

May 28, 2013

I think being introverted is different from that, though (although I'm imagine most people who are afraid to talk in front of the class are probably introverts). I always HATED talking in front of people until I became a teacher. Now I'm a bit of a ham, and I actively participate in conversations with my students. I guess it's just learned. Being around kids is different than being in social situations with adults, though. For me, I am much more likely to strike up a conversation with a student than a peer because I want to show my students I care and that I'm interested in them.

However, once the day is done, I am in my little introvert shell.

35. Db8Coach

Db8Coach Rookie

May 28, 2013

THIS!

I can be extroverted when I want to be, but quiet time is a must.

36. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

I'm an introvert who has to mimic extroversion at work. Sometimes I feel like "Mr. Rhesus" is a character I do. I am spent after a day of being "on" and I require a certain amount of solitude.

37. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2014

I play a very good extrovert, most people don't know I am actually painfully shy (I mean physical pain when I am about to put myself into an uncomfortable situation, it sucks)

If I had it my way, I would never leave the house, and spend most of the time curled up either in bed or my favorite chair reading a book with the TV on for background sound. However, that is not the life I want to live, so I force myself to go out there and experience the world.

I just live with the stomach aches because once I am out and about doing things I tend to settle in and enjoy myself.

38. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 24, 2014

I always fall right in the middle for introvert-extrovert.