Just for fun -cell phone poll

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 22, 2013.

?

What kind of cell phone do you have?

1. iPhone

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. Android

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Blackberry

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. "Dumbphone"

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 22, 2013

I'm wasting some time this morning waiting for my clothes to finish the dryer so I can leave :)

What kind of phone do you have? Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S3. I love it, I truly do, but I think I'll go iPhone next time (another year) because the app selection is so much better.

On a side note, my carrier is AT&T. I'm perfectly happy and I'll gladly renew my contract. I have had Sprint (terrible!), T-Mobile (poor coverage, great customer service), Verizon (mediocre coverage [7 years ago], terrible customer service.)

3. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Sep 22, 2013

Mine is a Samsung, I think Stratosphere. I really like it. It has a slide out keyboard which I didn't think I would like, but I use ALL the time. My husband and I are fairly new to the smartphone world, but we were just talking yesterday that it would be hard to go back now!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

It's a "dumbphone" for me.

I'm not a phone person. I use my cell primarily to let my kids know I'm outside a friend's house to pick them up.

At home, I use our land line.
    At work, my phone is off. Call the office if there's an emergency.
    In the car, my phone is off. I don't have a hands free device, and otherwise it's illegal in NY state.

So my cell gets minimal use. There's no reason to invest in a smartphone.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2013

I have an iphone. Thinking about getting the 5s today. They'll give me $200 for my 4s and I am due for an upgrade, so why not? I'll have to buy a new case (I love mine- it is a custom case I got with a Groupon deal).

Back in 1999 I had Verizon on my mom's plan. I switched to NEXTEL and went on my dad's plan. He paid :) Terrible. Back to Verizon w/Mom. Switched to T-Mobile on my own- terrible service. Switched to Sprint/NEXTEL again (boyfriend at the time influenced that). Switched back to Verizon (back in 2004 or 2005) and I have been with them ever since. I was never unhappy with Verizon.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 22, 2013

I just upgraded to a touchscreen LG. All I do is the rare phone call or text. Mine is prepaid. I use less than 15 minutes a month.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 22, 2013

Giraffe, it seems like you'd be silly not to upgrade for free! :) Which color will you get? I like the silver one best.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2013

I have a sh*tty nokia that doesn't take pictures, go on the internet, or even have color.

9. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 22, 2013

I have a Samsung Galaxy. I only got it recently and previously, I had a "dumbphone." Why? Because I don't text or talk on a cellphone all that much and I don't feel the need to access the internet from my phone - okay, maybe once in a blue moon. But I went ahead and got it because I felt like maybe I was missing something. It's okay, but paying for a data plan every month hardly seems worth it. I would give up the data in a heartbeat if they would let me use the thing without having to pay for an obscenely priced data plan. But, you are not allowed to own and use a smartphone without buying a data plan.

Anyway...I like the Galaxy for its big screen, but I prefer the functionality of an iphone so that's probably what I'll get next time around.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 22, 2013

I have a Samsung Charge. We always get whatever Verizon is offering for free. My grocery store uses digital coupons, they have an app that lets me see what coupons I've downloaded. I love that feature! I also have the mapmywalk app. Love it!

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 22, 2013

Everyone on my grade level team has an iPhone.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2013

I like the dark gray, but I want a white face. Probably silver. It will be in a case anyway, so I suppose it doesn't really matter.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 22, 2013

I have an iPhone 4S. I love it! I don't have a landline since I live by myself.

14. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Sep 22, 2013

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I love it. I have had a SmartPhone for a few years, and I cannot imagine not having one now. Some days I think I'm a little too attached to my phone.

I use my phone for the obvious texting and calling. I also use it to manage finances, make grocery lists, check email, make to-do lists, and the occasional game to kill time.

15. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Sep 22, 2013

I love my iphone! We have other mac products so I like being able to sync things and use the icloud.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

I have an IPhone 5. I LOVE it!! I don't think I will ever have another phone. I also have AT&T for my carrier. I couldn't be happier with them either. I've had Verizon before, but the coverage is much better with AT&T.

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2013

I have IPhone and live on it. My oldest daughter and I text back and forth all day. (We have the same off hour this year so we text during that time.) I have an hour drive to school and I talk to her (my other kids are not into having long conversations with mom yet) or my mom most of the way to school and back. I pretty much live on my phone like the teenagers I teach. We have a landline because they come back up during hurricanes faster than cells but we do not keep a phone hooked up to it so the only way that we know someone is calling it is because it shows on the TV screen.

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 22, 2013

My husband and I got iPhone 5s the day they came out last September. We had dumb phones until then. I now have no idea how I functioned without a smart phone. SCARY...haha. It's really an amazing tool, though! We'll probably get the iPhone 6 when it comes out next year because we'll be eligible for an upgrade then. We have Verizon - we switched from Tmobile. We don't really love or hate Verizon. It's fine, I guess. Expensive...

19. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 22, 2013

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I got it last winter and it was my first smart phone. I cringed at the cost, but I can't imagine not having it now! The biggest thing it helps me with is directions and public transportation. I have NO sense of direction whatsoever and have to go somewhere at least 10 times before I'll remember. I can just use the "trip planner" on my phone to figure out what light rail I need to get on, and then google maps will navigate me the rest of the way on foot. I would be horribly lost walking around downtown otherwise, because I tend to explore different areas and not go back to the same few places over and over again. Just last night I had to use my navigation to get back to the light rail station and it terrified me to think what I would do if I didn't have it! I used to not want to go to things like that because I was afraid I'd get lost or miss the transportation or whatever. I also like that I can check e-mails from anywhere and look up anything I want. I actually use mine all the time.

Unfortunately, AT&T is horrible for me. When I lived on the north side of the city it was fine. I recently moved to the south side and I literally have almost no reception. It's not like it's a rural area or anything- it's right on the edge of the city. When I try to call my parents (the only people I really have long cell conversations with) it will drop the call 3-5 times in a 30 minute conversation, and they say my voice goes in and out too. It doesn't matter if I go outside, wonder around, etc. I even tried calling from school, which is the same side of the city but 20 minutes from here, and it was the same thing. I'll definitely switch to another carrier next time, but I have over a year left on my contract :(. I'll also probably get an iphone next time just because of the size. I don't like that my samsung doesn't really fit in my pocket or into my tiny purses.

20. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Sep 22, 2013

Love, love, love my iphone 5. I have ATT because we don't have a lot of choice when it comes to carriers. It works because we are on a family plan that allows me and my two kids to share data. My husband will switch to that plan (and an iphone) next month. On a side note, my son has an HTC One, and it is absolutely a horrible phone. He is on his third one in two months!

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

waterfall~I don't know what I did before my phone for directions! I use it for GPS all the time! There are lots of times in the past that I would be horribly lost if I didn't have my phone.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 22, 2013

I have an iPhone 4s. I like it, but when I got it, circumstances basically took the choice out of my hands. It was get that phone or nothing at all. I took the iPhone. :)

23. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 22, 2013

I have a Galaxy S3. Love me my Galaxy S3. So many fun things it can do!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 22, 2013

Same here & I have a Samsung too. Otherwise, I want to switch to some no-contract plan...whatever phone I get to choose from for that.

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2013

I ordered my 5s. It won't ship for a few weeks :down:
    Local stores only have the 32GB.

26. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 22, 2013

I have an iPhone 4. I'll probably be upgrading to the 5s in the near future, though.

27. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2013

I just upgraded to the iphone5 when I broke my "dumbphone" last month.

I'm not convinced it is worth the extra $$ I have to pay each month, but just on Saturday, I -
    a)used it to find a workshop I was attending
    b) used it to pull up a copy of the common core standards when I wanted to read along with what the speaker was saying
    c) used it to find where my husband was going when he called me because he was lost
    d) used it to find the closest starbucks when I needed more coffee!

so I guess it is handy!

28. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 23, 2013

I have what I like to call my 'faux'berry right now, on Straight Talk. I am too cheap to pay so much for most cell phone plans. I am thinking of buying an iphone now that they are available on Straight Talk. The catch is you pay retail price for the phone, but still just 45/month after that.

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 23, 2013

Get the Mark the Spot app and send them a report every single day. I credit doing that with getting better service in the town our second house is in.

30. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 23, 2013

I have a Galaxy S3, it's a great phone and the app selection is great. I use T-Mobile, they have a cell tower 100 feet from where I am sitting right now. Just switched to them this past March, occasionally have spotty coverage.

Before that, was on Verizon, got too expensive.

Before that, was on AT&T, had somewhat bad reception at college.

31. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 24, 2013

I love my Android phone!