Just curious...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 22, 2020.

?

Do you live in the town you teach in?

This poll will close on Apr 12, 2020 at 3:56 PM.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

I was born and raised in the town I work in. Curious about whether or not you live in the town you work in.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2020

I didn't answer the question because I am retired, but for the majority of my career I taught in the town I was living in at that time. I left the town I grew up in right after college to escape to Florida!

4. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Mar 22, 2020

I used to live in the same town but my new district is in a town that didn't have any available/affordable housing so I live about 15 miles away in another town.

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Mar 22, 2020

Negative I live about twenty minutes away, a pothole further from Boston proper.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2020

Yes. I'm close to the south end of the town and the school is just past the northern border.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 22, 2020

Yes. I live in the town where I grew up. I work in the same district, but a different school than I attended. DH does not. He teaches in the county where he went to college, but not where he grew up.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Devotee

Mar 22, 2020

No, I live an hour away. Where I live is a really beautiful, nice area. Very secluded surrounded by a lake and state forest. It is a summer tourist trap, so most people only come here in the summer. They winter in Hawaii or Arizona usually.
    The place I work is beautiful in nature, but some very strange people live there. A lot of the families are started from Viet Nam vets who came here for various reasons and settled. They have some real strange beliefs ( to me) about the government. Maybe their strange beliefs are true from their experiences.
    Plus, where I work, I think criminals may go to hide out too or start over again. A few have been caught there for huge crimes in other states after living there for a long time.. You would think in the middle of nowhere drugs would not be a problem, but they are there. People make their own, I think.
    Also, we get a lot of grandkids living w/grandparents because the parents are so screwed up.

Then we have 2 strong gene pools. I am not kidding you, it blows my mind how smart some kids are who come from these families. I taught gifted kids in another state for yrs, but I have never seen anything like some of these kids who come from those 2 families. The kids tend to marry other really bright people they meet in college.
    Oh, and they also tend to be in the habit of 1 parent staying home to raise their kids.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

I live in the towns I work. Commute is about 13 minutes with stoplights and traffic. Now that there is no school (I have to go through where the main high school is), I could probably make it in 7 minutes.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Mar 22, 2020

I live in the community where I teach, but we chose a home in the country. I enjoy that little separation from the main part of the community.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 22, 2020

I've always lived in the community where I taught. When I first started teaching, I taught at a school in my city, but not in my neighborhood. (I taught in a public housing project in my city.) Later I transferred to another school in my city, but still not in my neighborhood (about 15 minutes away.) I finally ended up teaching in my neighborhood school. That had huge advantages (it only took me 5 minutes to get to work) and huge disadvantages (students living next door to me, or showing up uninvited on my door step "to say hi!"

When I moved to NC, I taught at a private school very close to where a I lived. Seventy percent of the families lived in my neighborhood, and most of the school (not me) belonged to the same church! We couldn't even have a rule about not facebook friending parents, because they were also your neighbors, your church members, your cousins, your god-children, your godparents, in your book club, your kids played soccer together, etc. It also became complicated because eventually, everyone ended up with your private cell phone number, because "somebody" in town knew it, and it soon was shared. {Call screening worked well.} Parents would even text you on your personal cell phone, even if you asked them not to. It was a different world.

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 22, 2020

I'm literally a half-block outside of city limits.

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2020

I teach in the city school district. We used to live in an apartment 2 miles from my school.

When we built our house we wanted to live a little further out so we live outside one of the suburbs. It's only about a 20 minute commute for me, though.

There are no grocery stores close to my school and I've run into several of my students at the store near my house. So while I'm not in the same city as my school, I'm not terribly far away.

14. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 22, 2020

I do not teach in the community I grew up in. In fact, I teach in a state different from where I live. I teach in an amazing rural district. The kids reminds me of Mayberry or Leave it to Beaver. They are caring, respectful, and for the most part the parents are there to support. I came from a large, urban district that really makes you appreciate being somewhere that is the complete opposite. I don't ever want to leave.

mrsf70 likes this.
  15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 23, 2020

I would love to teach in my town. Right now my school is 2 towns away (20 miles). It's too bad. On the way to work I keep passing this adorable cottage that's for sale!! I would love to live 5 minutes from work! My husband doesn't think the cottage is so cute :(

stargirl likes this.
  16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2020

Maybe you could get him to look at it and just keep suggesting things he likes that you could do in that location...:)

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 23, 2020

I doubt it! He's very stubborn LOL

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

This is all so interesting to me. I truly thought that the majority of us would live and work in the same city.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2020

When I first started teaching I taught in the district I grew up in. Went to k-12 there. It was a complete disaster. I hated it. Probably because of the principal but still hated it. Then we moved and I work in the same town I teach in. I go to little league games of my students. I attend birthday parties, weddings, funerals. I feel very much apart of the community. I wouldn't have it any other way. My daughter on the other hand hates living in the same town she teaches in. She lived here in the town with me and moved. When she moved she didn't live in the same town that she taught in and loves it. She has moved again to a new town and new school. They bought a house and there is a school literally out her back door. I asked her all the time if she wants to teach there. She says no. I think it's a perfect scenario. Walk out my back door to school. Sooooo much gas saved.

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 24, 2020

It makes sense. My mentality (coming from my parents) is that why live far from work and commute long periods of time every single day, when you can live close, especially since you're going to work 5 days a week.

However, there are so many reasons why someone would live far, or not too close. For example you're a home owner and now got a new job your school is 30 minutes away. You're not going to sell your house to move closer, right?
    Or maybe the school district you're teaching at is not considered the best academically and you'd rather live in an area where your kids can go to a better school. This goes for the school being in a high crime area, etc.
    And I'm sure there are plenty more reasons.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 24, 2020

I like there to be some separation. I don't want to be asked to have a parent/teacher conference in the grocery aisle or have to worry about seeing kids or parents out. I try to have boundaries between my home and school life. Interestingly, my parents are both teachers and my dad feels the same way I do. My mom LOVED seeing her students all around town. However, she's much more respectable than me and would never dream of going to the grocery store in sweat pants and 3 day old hair ;). She always said it made her feel like a celebrity when she'd go out and kids would call her name.

I used to live a few towns away. When I moved there, it was about a 20 minute commute. Over time, traffic got much worse (people won't stop moving here!) and it turned into a very unpredictable commute in the mornings and a minimum of 40 minutes in the afternoons. Now I live just one town over. My commute is about 15 minutes in the mornings and 20 minutes in the afternoons.

I teach in a different state than the one I grew up in. I graduated into an abysmal job market in 2010 and I had no hope of landing a job in my home state, and I just ended up staying here.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

There are probably a ton of reasons. Maybe 50-100 years ago it was easier for teachers to live in the same town as their school due to transportation issues but now that probably isn't the case. Also, there's no way all the teachers can work in their neighborhood district if there happens to be a glut of teachers living in the area. There just aren't enough jobs to go around sometimes.

23. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

I should consider myself fortunate!

24. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Mar 25, 2020

For as long as I've been on here I never knew how to vote on the polls.

25. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Mar 25, 2020

Nope, I live in one suburb and work in another. My SO was already here when I moved in because he stayed in the neighborhood his mom moved to because of the schools. We thought about moving to where I work, but there just weren't good housing situations available, so we stayed put. It's only a 15 min. commute since we live a mile off the highway. We draw students from mainly 3 different 'burbs, so it's not a big deal that I don't live there.
    I've run into the kids a few times, but it's not a big deal since everyone from that suburb goes to the big mall in the 'burb next to mine. *Gasp! Teachers go shopping too!* So long as I'm not buying underwear or anything overly personal, no problem.

There's pros and cons, but when I was in IL, I know my mom got more prompt care when she had to be hospitalized last year because the nurse at the admittance desk had been one of my students when I worked at a CC.