Just curious...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by K-5_teacherguy, Jan 30, 2020.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jan 30, 2020

If you had $300 to spend on your classroom (Amazon, Walmart, wherever) how would you spend it? Anything you would consider a must have? I have a few ideas of course, but I thought I might get some new and interesting ideas by asking on here!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 30, 2020

pencils

always pencils

Teachingtoo and Backroads like this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2020

Books, books, books. Always books.

Iris1001 and readingrules12 like this.
  5. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Jan 31, 2020

Some flexible seating options- beanbags, lapboards, maybe a low coffee table or something. And a standing desk. I have SO many kids who prefer to stand, or are always asking if they can work on the floor. I don't mind if they do, but I don't see how it can be that comfortable for most of them and I'd love to find some options to accommodate them.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 31, 2020

Fancy bookshelf. I could get a good, appealing bookshelf for around $300.

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 31, 2020

Just do what I do and somehow (unintentionally) send out to the universe your intention for pencils.

I have sooo many pencils and they just keep happening.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 1, 2020

Glue sticks. Whiteboard markers. Little A4 sized whiteboards (to do quizzes with). Save some money for online subscriptions such as Brainpop, CoSpaces edu etc.

9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2020

I am actually attempting to rid myself of stuff.
    I am not returning next yr. I'd buy items one of my good friends could use and give them to her.

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 1, 2020

I would definitely NOT want more pencils, haha! Students leave their pencils in my classroom so often that I have a massive and ever-growing collection. Just picture having a back counter with bin after bin of just pencils. It’s insanity!

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2020

It depends on what you have.

My #1 focus would be to get a good classroom library. If you don't have that, I would get that. Personally, I think the quality of the books are more important than the quantity. When students love to read, they read. If they read a lot, they are more likely to do better in school and life.

My #2 focus would be any supplies you are missing that admin. and parents won't supply enough for you. This is often pencils, dry erase markers, and dry erase boards. Yours might be different.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 3, 2020

Mine would be weird, because it would be props wed for the musical and equipment we need for filming.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 3, 2020

A scotch laminator and sheets.
    A comb or spiral binding machine.

14. lauraa

lauraa New Member

Nov 5, 2020

Definitely the whiteboard and the marker for the whiteboard. But I will buy a colorful pen so the kids will find it more eye-catching when learning, not boring. I used markers of EXPO have gotten a lot of use and still look fantastic! We use them on the plastic dry erase folders designed for inserting pages for kids to practice writing on and they swipe off easily! My kids love all the variety of colors and makes it more fun than just black. The colors are vibrant! This size are easy to hold for my kids and a daily part of our at home learning!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  15. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Nov 5, 2020

This year is the first year I let myself buy "expensive" things for my classroom. In the past I tried to avoid spending my own money on stuff for work.

Automatic stapler
    Automatic 3 hole punch
    I paid about 100 for both. With everything going on the amount of time these save me has been worth it in the reduced stress.

I also bought something called a "microsoft surface adapter" for $50 that lets me wirelessly display my laptop on my smart board. I have kids in zoom, and others in class and not being tied to a wire has been great.

Laminator (amazon basics and sheets were like 40 on amazon) I'm laminating way more things so they can be wiped down. The laminator at my school is finicky and I try to avoid it.

16. noahenholm

noahenholm New Member

Feb 28, 2021

I have bought whiteboard markers and anchor chart markers. I use Sharpie chart markers for writing on my anchor charts at school. These eight commonly-used and highly-visible colors will indeed draw your students’ attention. If you present your chart on a whiteboard, all contents can be seen clearly from the back of the class.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021