Just Curious....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Sep 29, 2015.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Sep 29, 2015

I teach Pre-K in a privately owned center. I have several behavior issues in my classroom right now. I have one child who has anger issues. He is four years old. If the slightest thing happens such as if he can't get his blocks to stack the right way or if he's asked to clean up, he starts screaming. I have tried the usual tactics. We read lots of books on how to handle anger, we have done the Tucker Turtle story, practiced taking deep breaths, using words, etc. I talk to him privately in the morning and we talk about things he can do if he is feeling angry or overwhelmed. It just always comes back to the same thing. From what I understand this child has done the same thing in other classrooms at the school through the years. Today he was screaming at me, "I hate you!" and he makes the finger gun symbol at me when he's angry. I also found out that he slapped the afternoon teacher this afternoon. My question is, what would the consequences be for this behavior at your schools or in your classrooms?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2015

For hitting the teacher he would be removed from the classroom, taken to the office and the parents called to pick him up.

As to the other behaviors, it is difficult and there is no general rule. Are you giving lots of warnings of transitions so nothing is a surprise? He is not behaving as a typical 4 year old, so these behaviors must have worked for him in the past (or at home). Most of our teachers would remove him from any activity he had a temper tantrum doing and if severe, he would be removed from the classroom until he calmed down.

Is there a quiet area he can go to if he feels himself escalating? Talk about feelings a lot. Praise and attention for when he overcomes frustration. Would a basket of calm down activities help? Talk to the parents and develop a plan you both work on so there is consistency.

Good luck. We had twins like this last year who had the whole school in an uproar and we eventually had to let go because they beat up teachers daily. They needed more help than we could give them.

4. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Sep 30, 2015

Has he been referred to be evaluated for services? He made need some additional supports. Are you using PBIS?

5. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Oct 2, 2015

Thanks so much for the replies. I agree scmom that he should be removed and parent called to pick up when a teacher is hit. The problem is that the support is not consistent from administration. When I talk to them I have to hear how the parent is a single parent and they don't want her to lose her job. Lots of excuses. He is not the only child I hear this about so it makes it very difficult for me. There are really no consequences. I have heard that this child has had these behaviors since the two year old class. He has never been referred for evaluation. I definitely remove him from whatever activity he is doing when the screaming/throwing begins but it continues and results in my being called names. I give lots of warnings about transitions, read lots of books and talked endlessly about what he can do and where he can go if he feels angry or frustrated. He would throw the calm down activities. Parental support is not going to happen. Lately I have been by myself a lot which makes it more difficult to manage the other children as well as several children with behavior problems. I guess I'm just feeling frustrated and overwhelmed right now. I feel like I'm working with my hands tied and the kids who don't have issues are missing out because I'm constantly putting out fires with the others. Thanks for listening.

6. goofydad21

goofydad21 Rookie

Oct 3, 2015

I feel for you! Last year I had a boy who really struggled with anger and hitting, in my center we have incident reports and a system where after so many the parents are involved and the child placed on a behavior management system. If that doesn't help eventually the child can be expelled. My director is really big about documenting each and every instance. Luckily the behavior management worked and he got to graduate with his class :) Hope things start to look up for you soon!

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 25, 2015

ah, that sucks. If the admin and/or the parent is not on your side or is not willing to help you, there's not much you can do but keep trying different ways to get him to behave.
    I had a girl in my class 2 years ago who had behavior problems. She was never angry; she laughed while misbehaving and knew what she was doing. She was very violent with the other kids and with the teachers, throw chairs, run out of the room, and even took a big bite out of a tissue box... She never screamed or was angry about anything; she laughed and smiled while doing all this.
    The admin kicked her out after 2.5 weeks due to safety concerns.