Just Curious... Why?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Fulminator, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Fulminator

Fulminator Rookie

Sep 24, 2012

This is coming from a student, mind. (Yes, if you were wondering, I DO feel very much like a Russian in Cold War Britain :angel: , but I'll trudge on, anyways.) I was just wondering why the average teacher bothers to deal with the angry parents, lazy students, demanding administrators, etc. What philosophy drives you? Or is it more of a... disposition? And, if you care to mention, what got you into teaching? I have my own abstract philosophical reasoning for education in general, but can't think of a reason for a given individual to, well, suffer through it. So... why?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2012

The kids. That's why I do it. I'm lucky in that I don't have demanding administrators or angry parents.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 24, 2012

Because on a good day, my heart sings and I feel God has put me in the classroom for a reason!

5. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Sep 24, 2012

Seeing the growth and maturity of the students as they go from 9th to 12th grade.

Seeing the "light turn on" for somebody who finally gets what its all about.

6. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 24, 2012

:thumb: This!

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 24, 2012

Simple math is why.

I spend 30 hours a week with children I truly enjoy teaching.

I spend less than 2 hours a week with parents or administrators who are annoying. (Even less this year as I have a great principal). Yes, I spend more than that with parents some weeks, but most parents aren't annoying.

If over 90% of my job is great, and I get to make a lasting difference--that is not a bad deal.

8. bondo

bondo Cohort

Sep 27, 2012

Definitely the "lightbulb" moment.

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2012

Well said

10. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 27, 2012

Because if the next generation isn't a heck of a lot smarter than my own, we're all screwed. :huh:

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2012

I enjoy what I do. My job is such an important job and therefore what I do is very meaningful. At the end of the day it feels great to be able to do something so big every day.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2012

Every job is going to have it's pros and cons. My husband and my friend's husband both work for the same company. They put in very long hours and it's the same thing, basically, everyday. He loves it but is also stressed about doing his job right (he's a programmer for an oil company).

My brother worked for Microsoft. Same thing. Very stressful.

As an educator, the pros (I feel) outweigh the cons.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 27, 2012

:yeahthat:

The other stuff (parents, paperwork, meetings, etc.) can be completely overwhelming at times, but I try to keep them off of my mind from 8:45-3:20 when the kids are there.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

To be honest, that's NOT a description of my job.

I think the last angry parent I had was 2 years ago. The story she got from her daughter was not the truth. My AP made a phone call on behalf of myself and the other teacher involved, and I got an apology from the mom.

Lazy students are part of teaching high school. The trick is to build a relationship with them; most will come around. As to the others, you try every trick in your repetoire, then come up with more. You won't get through to every one... you have to hope and pray that someone else has found a hook that eludes you.

As to the demanding administrators-- ours are very demanding. They demand professionalism, competency in dealing with our kids, their parents and our material. And that's as it should be; I demand the same of myself.

I love my job, and can't imagine doing anything else.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2012

Why?

Last night, at our Meet the Teacher Night, I had visits (and hugs) from at least 6 former students, who are all now in high school. One stayed for half an hour after the parents left, just chatting and catching us up on what he is doing.