Just curious about something

Discussion in 'General Education' started by showmelady, Nov 11, 2012.

1. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Nov 11, 2012

I just saw a guy on 60 Minutes, and a comment he made made me curious about something.

Do most teachers have a degree in a particular SUBJECT (English, Mathmatics, some science discipline) or do most teachers have a degree in EDUCATION? And if in education, do they all have a minor in some specific discipline too?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 11, 2012

In my neck of the woods it depends on grade level. Elementary teachers have degrees in education. Secondary have degrees in a subject area. This is especially the case with high school teachers (some experienced middle school teachers were grandfathered in and allowed to teach 6th grade with education degrees).

4. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Nov 11, 2012

I have both, but that's just how my program was designed.
    I have a degree in History and "minor" in education. It's not called an education degree, but its the exact same coursework the elem ed majors took (without the el. ed. courses obviously.) The requirements were the equivalent of a bachelors, it just wasn't called such.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2012

This is generally true in my area as well.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 11, 2012

My degree was Interdisciplinary Studies with a minor in English. I can teach any grade or subject 1-8 and English 1-12.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 11, 2012

I find more middle and high school teachers have subject degrees. K-5 tends to be elementary ed or early childhood education. Frankly, I don't think you should get to teach Pre-K or K without an early childhood background.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 11, 2012

I have a degree in elem education, English, and social sciences.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 11, 2012

This.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 11, 2012

My degree is from the College of Education. However, I had to take the same hours in English courses as did those who majored in English. We simply did not have the same requirements as to foreign language.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 11, 2012

In the state I teach in, if you want a certificate to teach grades (Kindergarten to 8th grade) you need an elementary teaching certificate. If you want a certificate to teach grades 7-12 you need to have a teaching certificate where you specialize in a certain subject such as math.

12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 12, 2012

Just watched this today too! I agree with what he said except I would make the distinction that I would agree with it for SECONDARY teachers. I think it's perfectly normal to have an advanced degree in education if you're going to teach primary school.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

I have a Masters in Education. My teaching credential is English,but I don't really any English course work. My BA is Linguistics, but that isn't literature. The job posting I've seen of the past 2 years have not really asked for course work in the subject area, they just asked for credential, and some wanted scores of Cset / Cbest.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2012

I think it's evenly split down here. In Florida, you can take any test and get certified in any subject area once you have an initial certification.

Most of the HS teachers at my school have a subject degree. The MS teachers are evenly split between subject degree and elementary ed with an added cert.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

What was it the guy on 60 Minutes said?

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 12, 2012

Where I went to college-the only choice was to major in something and then do their education certification program. I think it depends on the college program's advice as well. My degree is in Psychology.

17. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Nov 12, 2012

I'm obtaining a degree in my subject area (planning to teach secondary). However, the credential programs I'm applying for are combined credential/Master's in Ed programs.

18. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Nov 12, 2012

I have a major in English and a minor in history. I teach 7-10 (English and social studies).

However, I as well as two other teachers in my school, went through alternative certification.

19. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 12, 2012

I think it depends on your area. At my school there is a mix of education majors and other discipline majors. I personally have my BA in pyschology with minors in religious ed and theology. I went back for my credential

20. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2012

I was a math major with a minor in education.

21. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 12, 2012

Many states are now pushing for secondary teachers to have a degree in their subject areas with a teaching credential. A lot of universities are now offering 5 year programs with a masters in education built-in. My program was secondary education with a concentration in life science, so I took most of the biology major courses plus education courses.

22. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Nov 12, 2012

As others have said, it depends on the program. My program required a degree in content with a minor in education. We also were tracked into a master program in education where we did our student teaching.

23. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Nov 12, 2012

I have my BS in Chemical Biology and MA in education.

24. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 12, 2012

He said no teacher should be an education major and that they should all have majors in their subject matter. This was in response to a question which asked if teachers illiterate in their content are to blame for the poor preparation of students.

25. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 12, 2012

This is something that I considered a lot when I was writing my Honors thesis (which required a lot of research on alternative routes to education). For the first time ever in my experience, a professor (education, of course) told me and a bunch of other student teachers at a workshop that we have an advantage because of our education program. In NY, where she is from, teachers have to do the content area major. I was shocked to hear someone articulate that point of view, even if she is an education school professor.

26. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 12, 2012

Do you have a link to the 60 Minutes episode?

27. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2012

In my state secondary teachers can have a degree in any area but must pass a rigorous content area exam to be credentied in a particular subject. I have a degree in English, but still had to take the content area exam because I didn't have a few of the required courses needed for teaching. The content exam was like a review of my entire 4 year degree. I'd say that if a teacher can pass a content area exam in California that they are qualified to teach that area, no matter what their major.

That said, in this job market and at my school, area of study is a factor.

28. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 12, 2012

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2012

What about elementary teachers who have to teach all subject areas? I can see the case for this at the high school level, and in fact, most of the teachers in my school do have a bachelor's degree in their subject area. However, it shouldn't be mandated, but up to the individual schools.

30. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 12, 2012

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2012

It's mostly elementary teachers with the education degrees, and those of us in secondary have subject area degrees. Some of the elementary teachers get their masters degrees in subjects.

32. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 12, 2012

I would say that it would be my personal opinion that an advanced degree in my content area would be more useful than an advanced degree in education as well.

Certainly there are merits to an advanced degree in education, but for a secondary school teacher, I think a lot of your leverage in getting students excited about learning comes from the love and expertise in your subject. I won't go so far as to say which degree makes you a better teacher, but it is an interesting question to bring up I think.

Should teachers go for masters in education or should they obtain it in the field of their study?

33. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 12, 2012

I totally think getting a content area masters is the most worthwhile. I want to get my masters in Microbiology. :)

34. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2012

David McCullough, a brilliant old guy, said that our youth is history illiterate. He also said that teachers need to major in their subject area instead of Education. I'm guessing he was talking about middle and high school. His book about John Adams is outstanding.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 13, 2012

With scattered exceptions, California's teachers - including the elementary teachers - don't major in education: they major in something else, then go through a teacher preparation program. The recommended major for the elementary teachers seems to be liberal studies, the principle behind which is grand, though I confess to qualms about the execution in many cases.

36. smalltowngal

Nov 13, 2012

I think if a teacher has a bachelor's degree in their subject area, then a masters in education would be benefical. However, if a teacher has a bachelor's in education, then a masters in the subject area would be more beneficial.

37. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2012

I think it would be a challenge to get a masters in certain subjects without the background knowledge gained from a bachelor's in that subject.

38. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 13, 2012

I think most elementary teachers have a degree in education. I have a major in elementary ed, and a minor in language arts.

39. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 13, 2012

I majored in Elementary Ed. with a minor in Sociology.

My credential is for multiple subjects (Grades K-8). I've passed many rigorous tests to become certified to teach grades K-8: CBEST, CSET (Multiple Subjects), and RICA.

40. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2012

At the college I attended it was quite the deal. I did Elem Ed, you have a mandatory minor in math and science, you pick your third... I chose group social sciences (social studies, poli sci and one other sorry it's been awhile) and then I also did a 4th with getting my early childhood cert!!!

41. smalltowngal

Nov 13, 2012

True. There is no way I could get a masters in math; however, if a person takes some undergrad classes dealing with that subject while getting their bachelor's in education, that would help a bit. Maybe?