Just curious about destination weddings...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by eddygirl, Jun 20, 2012.

1. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jun 20, 2012

I have weddings on the brain! My son is having a traditional, in-town wedding, which I am familiar with after attending many of them. His future sister-in-law is starting to plan her destination wedding for next spring. I have never been to a destination wedding, so I am curious...

Are destination weddings almost always just for close family and friends?
    Do most invited guests attend or do many decline due to distance or finances?
    If you had a destination wedding and had to do it again, would you still do it the same way or opt for something more traditional?

Although my daughter is far from getting married (she needs to find the right man first!), she has mentioned that she likes the idea of a destination wedding. I'd love to hear some pros and cons.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

My sister got married in Bermuda. Because of expenses, the attendees were really just close friends and immediate family.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2012

I've never been to a destination wedding, but one of my friends who had one in Jamaica had just close family and friends. I think it was around 15 people there total.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

We considered it because we want something more intimate, but my grandma doesn't travel and I would want her there.

I know for ones that have occurred in my family, they usually invite everyone but I think most decline because of the expense, having young children, etc. The benefits are that most resorts do an all inclusive wedding, and with fewer people there, the wedding is probably cheaper than a typical wedding, just not for the guests. Some people like that they get an instant honeymoon, too, but a lot of your relatives would be hanging around, so you might not get that alone time. Also, a lot of people still have a reception when they get back, so if that happens, the cost isn't as cheap.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

My sister got married in Jamaica.
    Everyone was invited. Only immediate family and one of each of their friends attended (they were not in the wedding party).

As the sister of the bride, I was super frustrated because her wedding cost me about $2000 that I did not have (dress, travel, passport, etc...)

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

I know several people who have had destination weddings. In almost all cases, the main reason for the destination wedding was to limit the number of guests. By having a wedding that is a little more inconvenient to get to, the couple can limit the number of guests without having to worry about causing strife or drama by not inviting people. It's usually only the people who are very close to the couple who will be willing to participate in a destination wedding because it's just so expensive and cost-prohibitive to the casual attendee.

My hoosband and I considered a destination wedding. We decided against it because it would have been too expensive for us at the time. We were sooooooo broke.... :lol:

8. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jun 20, 2012

I did a destination wedding ( puerto Rico... Hubs grandma is from there). I invited about 120 people and 50 came...close family, friends, and my school team.

9. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jun 20, 2012

We did it to keep costs down... In my area our wedding would have cost 50k, it was significantly less for venues and food on the island.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 20, 2012

I've been to one destination wedding. It was the wedding of STBX's first cousin. It was his first marriage, his wife's second. They had a wedding for family/close friends in a small wedding chapel. It was about a 5 hour drive for his family, and about 4 for us.

They thought it would be a good idea to rent cabins on the same mountain, and 40-something people went. It was a disaster. I hated being stranded in the middle of nowhere at the mercy of the in-laws and the rest of the family.

I wouldn't turn down another destination wedding for a close friend, but I'd prefer to go only to attend the wedding and be on my own the rest of the time.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

Persnally I'm not a fan. I think they present a financial hardship for the people you love the most.

Your wedding in ______ may indeed be the wedding of your dreams. But it pretty much means that my vacation planning for that year-- and conceivably more than that, if the price is high enough, goes towards YOUR dream destination, not mine.

If you don't want to invite me to your wedding in town, then feel free not to. But I hate the idea of an invitation that involves airfare and a huge hotel bill. If I wanted to travel to ___, I would book the vacation myself.

Then again, I got married in the church where I had been Baptized, received First Communion, First Confession, and Confirmation. My dad was an usher there for most of my life. The same was true for each of my sisters. I always say I grew up at St.xxx's, not in the particular village. So my ties to home and church are pretty strong; it would never have occurred to me NOT to get married there. We went to our dream destination for a honeymoon.

OK, rant over.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2012

I would only have a destination wedding if it were just for us two. I would say the exception would be if I were wealthy and could afford to pay for my parents and siblings...but even then it leaves cows to be milked and vacation days used and so on. So, just not something I would have considered.

We got married in the mountains, just the two of us.