Just contacted my "union" for the first time

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gr3teacher, Sep 21, 2014.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2014

You have explained it better than me. Thanks

2. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Nov 14, 2014

My district has a policy that if a parent wants to observe in a classroom they must submit a written request at least two days in advance for admin approval and an admin must be in the classroom with the parent.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2014

Our school board approves volunteers and teachers notify the office of any parents/volunteers they are expecting. Not 'needing any volunteer help at this time' seems reasonable.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2014

The reality is, it doesn't matter what policies our individual schools have in terms of volunteering or in terms of observation. The only policies that are important in OP's case is the policies in place at OP's school and district. They will be the ones used to judge whether or not the parent was being disruptive for staying and observing or not allowed to volunteer or observe in the future.

An open school that will ban a parent better have a very sound reason to do so beyond the parent is filing a suit, talking behind my back to other parents, and sending lots of e-mails that state she wants something else done for her child.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 15, 2014

I get why she can't be banned from volunteering at times when all parents could volunteer, as frustrating as it is. I have severely limited the amount that parents can volunteer in the classroom though (and have limited to ALL parents, so there's no discriminating). Basically, I've shut down any volunteer opportunities that involve interacting with either me or students. If a parent wants to come in and copy, they are welcome to, and I keep a bin of copy work by the door. I also am reducing the number of in-class activities that I have previously asked for parent volunteers for. Other than one more field trip, I'll simply go the rest of the year without parent volunteers. It's not fair to any of the parents (or myself... or the kids, for that matter), but it's equally unfair to all the parents.

My administrator has shut down direct contact between this parent and I. She has to contact an administrator, who will contact me, get my response, and send the response to her. Similarly, any meetings between her and I will include an administrator (and possibly a division representative), and the teacher association has offered to have a representative at any meetings between me and the parent, also.

As for the earlier suggestion of CPS... I'd be truly shocked if there was not CPS-type issues going on at home, given how scared the student looks anytime she receives a paper that isn't completely perfect... but I have absolutely no evidence of it, and there's no way I could even consider filing a report without being accused (rightfully) of retaliation or discrimination.

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Nov 16, 2014

I was thinking the exact same thing....plus record the conversations with her child.

7. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Nov 16, 2014

My school had a restraining order issued against a parent a couple of years ago. The child's other parent was the only one allowed on school premises for conferences, to pick up the child, etc. from then on. It kind of sounds like you might be headed the same way.
    (And I know years ago there was a restraining order issued against an older sibling of a student. Both cases were deemed necessary for the safety of students and staff.)

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 16, 2014

Before doing any type of recordings, either audio or video, it's important to check with admin. That sort of thing could be illegal in certain states and could end up causing much more trouble than it's worth.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 17, 2014

I believe Virginia is a one-party recording consent state, but those laws change rather quickly when schools are involved.

10. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Nov 17, 2014

Yes Virginia is a one party consent state.

I would do whatever I could to cover my butt though....schools can throw teachers under the bus faster than you can yell "help".