Just been pinked

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Gwen, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 2, 2009

I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this but I've just been pinked slipped early today.:( I'm not really sure what I'm going to do. I don't have hope of being hired back, I'm in a small one school district. I knew it was coming but none the less it hit me hard. I loved my job and am very sad to be leaving it. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, my husband makes less than me. I don't know what I'm going to do. I know there are a lot of other people out there in the same situation but I just feel bummed. If you live in California Friday the 13th is Pinked day. Wear pink in support of all the other teachers that have been pinked slipped this year.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2009

:hugs: Gwen, I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I know that even knowing it's coming doesn't lessen the sting. I wish you good luck in finding another teaching job.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Mar 2, 2009

Gwen, I'm being let go too. Good luck to both of us. Let's just keep telling ourselves there's a much better job out there for us next fall. (No matter how dang hard it is.)

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2009

Gwen, I got mine last Thursday. I was hired on a temp contract, so I knew it was coming. I was pink slipped in the past, and last year, I was also put on the non-renewal list, so I've gone through a LOT. It's so hard, even though you know it's coming. Good luck with your job search.

6. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Mar 2, 2009

I also got pinked...this morning (Monday) at 7am, 20 minutes before classes started!!! Like Peachyness, I was also pinked last year and this is my second year of teaching and it might be my last...

I hold a BS in Math, there are so many other things I could be doing....

So, any reasons given for being pinked or any ranting needing to be done? My principal told me it was due to a poor evaluation and a growth plan that I'm on (even though a growth plan was NEVER discussed with me nor signed nor even brought up!) and with a probabtionary contract, I just wasn't a good fit.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2009

Here is a great place to start looking for next years position in Texas.

http://www.tasanet.org/applications/CareerCenter/ClassifiedSearch.cfm

8. smalltowngal

Mar 3, 2009

I'm curious, where they really white slips like Peach's? I'm sorry that yall are being faced with this. I can only imagine, especially if you weren't given a reason as to why.

am-I've actually never heard of any teacher in TX getting a pink slip. And if you didn't sign a growth plan, then I would fight it. Take it up with the school board.

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

:hugs::hugs::hugs: your way. I'm so sorry. Even when you know it's coming it still bites. At least you knew, I was told on Monday that I was being renewed only to be told that Friday (right before dismissal) that I wasn't. Even today it still hurts.

Go do something nice for yourself. Then begin the process of "extreme budgeting." Make sure you file for unemployment. It lasts a long time now and you can then start getting it over the summer at least.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

So sorry to all of you who have gone through this. I went through it after my first year of teaching!!! I know a fellow teacher found a better job in a neighboring school. Hope you all find what you are looking for!!!

STG when I was pinked it was white. I was like Peach's & a little disappointed it wasn't pink!!! I know that sounds silly, but everyone on staff wanted to see it because they had never seen one & many were surprised because it wasn't pink.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2009

And when you get a non-renewel because you are probationary, you dont get a slip. Just phone call or a meeting saying you are not reelected for next year and a form to sign.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 3, 2009

I'm so sorry to hear this :-(. I sure hope you get something else soon; I know how costly the Bay Area is. Hugs.

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I have hear of other people having pink slips that are white and they were disappointed, too. I'm sorry for everyone who has recently been given a pink slip or non-renewal.

14. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 3, 2009

Your situation may be mine soon as well.

Last year it happened to me and it was disappointingly white too...

Sigh,... :dunno:

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 3, 2009

I'm so sorry to hear this--- I see you all struggle to get a position and then work your butts off and then get let go. It's depressing and I'm not even one to lose their job :( I really really really REALLY hope you all find BETTER positions come Sept (or even earlier).

I looked up Wikipedia and found this out about pink slips since we're discussing it...

Pink slip refers to the American practice, by a personnel department, of including a discharge notice in an employee's pay envelope to notify the worker of his or her termination of employment or layoff.[1] Receiving a "pink slip" has become a metaphor for the termination of employment in general. According to an article in The New York Times, the editors of the Random House Dictionary have dated the term to at least as early as 1910.[1] The origin of the phrase is undetermined, and there is no evidence that termination notices were ever traditionally printed on pink-colored paper.[2] In the UK and Ireland the equivalent of a pink slip is a P45, in Belgium the equivalent is known as a C4.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2009

I'm so sorry for all of you who are in this position, regardless of the color of the slip or the method of notification.

17. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

I'm not sure I want to fight a growth plan that was never mentioned nor discussed especially since I'm being non-renewed anyway. But if I did decide to fight it, how would I go about it? I know it wouldn't change anything but it could be removed from my file, right?

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2009

Did you belong to ATPE or TCTA or some other sort of professional organization. They could help you! Did your principal give you a choice of resigning or was this just sprung on you. I was forced to resign last year and looking back I would fight to the death for my job back. I had tons of evidence that my old principal was looking to get rid of me from the day she hired me. (long story and another post) Bottom line I didn't want to start my career (only two years behind me) fighting with someone that I didn't think I could win against. I found out later she did this to other teachers, they fought and won. She knew she could get me to quit without much fight, she was right BUT I will never do that again. If your principal says you signed a growth plan and you didn't FIGHT!!!!! Mine never even gave me the option of a growth plan. I do have to say the only good thing is that it looks like I resigned on my own. The head of the HR dept is a friend of mine and is trying hard to get me back into the district in another school.

19. smalltowngal

Mar 3, 2009

txmom-I was in the same situation, and I should have fought it because 2 weeks after I resigned, she was forced to retire. :eek: I wish now that I would have gone above her to keep my job.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2009

I'm so sorry to everyone in this awful situation!! I've never had the experience myself, but I didn't get to stay in a district after my one year maternity leave replacement gig was over b/c they didn't have any openings for me...and that was realy hard. Hugs to all of you!!

21. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Mar 3, 2009

I am truly sorry to you that have had this happen! I cannot imagine working so hard, and then being sent away!

I do however, have a question. When one is pink slipped, do you finish the year? Or is that that and you are done? I am sorry if this is an insensitive question.

22. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

When I was non-renewed, I had to finish the year out. It was horrible. The kids didn't know and I all could think about at times was how much I needed to enjoy teaching because it might not happen again for some time.

23. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Mar 3, 2009

That would be awful! Again, I wasn't trying to be insensitive in asking, I just needed some clarification. I am so sorry for this to happen to everyone!

24. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

It doesn't bother me that much anymore. I was told on a Friday afternoon right before dismissal while the kids were in specials. Then after bawling my eyes out, I had to go pick them up. That was not a good day.

25. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

resignations are usually effective at the end of the school year due to contracts. If a district violates that and sends you home right away without due cause, they could be sued easily.

I am part of TCTA and I'm emailing my attorney as I type about not only my resignation letter but also about the growth plan issue. My principal just sprang this on me last Monday. I knew it was coming though because my mentor/dept chair is best friends with my principal and she (mentor) is by far, the most difficult and impossible person to get along with...I'm talking about yelling at me in front of my students, addressing me by first name in front of students, pointing fingers (literally!) and taking whatever I say WAY out of proportion and twisting it to make me look like this rude know-it-all hot shot. Thing is, she is the only one out of a staff of more than 300 people that I haven't been able to get along with well. So with the principal's ear, and the 2 threats she made against my job early in the year, I kinda knew this was coming.

Back to my principal though, when I said I didn't know anything about a growth plan, he said it didn't have to be a formal document; I told him nothing had ever been discussed with me about the issue. He asked who my appraiser was and made a face of disapproval when he heard the name; my appraiser is a new AP and she is becoming known for breaking the law regarding documentation, teacher rights, etc. and just not knowing what she's doing. So wether there is a growth plan or not in my file, I have no idea. I'm just going to email my attorney and see what she says.

26. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2009

What I was told when I was non-reelected is that it doesn't have anything to do with principle evals, and it doesn't have anything to do with the economy, but they can't tell you the reason because if you are probationary they can release you without cause and thus they don't have to have a reason.

27. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 4, 2009

I get to finish the year. My pink slip was just to inform me that my position was being eliminated next year because they are eliminating class size reduction. I am surprised at how tacky some of my co-workers are. They openly talk about it and like many of you experienced with your co-workers, ask to the color. I don't know I guess I understand the curiosity but I think their should be some level of appropriateness on their part.

28. smalltowngal

Mar 4, 2009

am-at my last school, I was put on a growth plan(after only one evaluation where the P was 45 minutes late and the kids were having a bad day). There were several meetings between me and the principal. We both had to sign it after deciding what things needed to be worked on. So it IS a formal document.

29. am elisheva

am elisheva Rookie

Mar 4, 2009

yeah, I've been through the growth plan issue before at my last school. I just don't know what to say about my current school other than the admin doesn't seem to know the law or what they are doing. As a result, I'm not too upset that I'm not wanted next year since I probably would have walked anyway.

There is simply a better job waiting, possibly in education, maybe outside of it. Perhaps I can go back to school for my masters...I would love to teach college level courses.

30. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 4, 2009

Last year my school district gave everyone that had worked for less than 10 years with the district a pink slip. This year they will probably be doing the same thing. Most get hired back but, you may not know that till the day before school, or in that case the week after school started. There is not a district near me that actually hires a permanent position, everyone is temporary, that way you just don't ever get hired on for the next year.

31. palla

palla Companion

Mar 5, 2009

I am sorry, Gwen! And for you too, Zoom3 and Peach and all the others. It is like a punch in the stomach to hear you are losing your job. Take some time for yourself.

It is a hard time for everyone right now. Hope you can find something before the next school year starts.

32. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Mar 7, 2009

:eek: That would SUCK! From what I understand, here in Illinois, (at least in my district) after four years you have tenure and you're set. Of course there's always the possiblity of being RIFed but with tenure you'll just kick some poor newbie out of their job and be set again in a new spot.

I would go nutso if I got hired a week after school started. Wow... all the prep and set-up you have to do... I'd be closing down the place for a week just to get caught up! I really hope I get my new position (or A new position I should say) prior to school starting.

My P is being really cool about the situation though. I guess he emailed someone at special ed and asked about the possibility of me coming back next year. They said that since it's a contract-fulfilled position that I would have to re-apply with special ed again (??) and be re-hired for the position. I believe my P hopes that I get the job again, but if anyone with more senority over me wants it, then they get it. I don't have high hopes.

At least I'm getting used to the idea of possibly leaving and I'm not so down anymore. (I'm sure that will change when I start packing up my things though.)

33. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Mar 8, 2009

So are you all getting a pink slip because your principle is upset with your performance as a teacher or are you getting a pink slip because the district you're in has to save money thereby cutting teachers?

34. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Mar 11, 2009

I'm getting pinked because I was working a one-year contract and the year is over. As long as nobody with more experience than me (almost everyone in the world) wants my current job, then I'll get it again - another one year contract though. (It'll be full-time perm if the chick on med leave resigns after next year.)

35. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

160 pink slips went out this week in my school district. We are implementing pink Fridays and some junior high students are petitioning. But, after the California budget cuts, our school district has no chance at keeping class size therefore no chance at keeping teachers. Class size will go from 20 in K-3 to 30, possibly 32.

36. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2009

zoom- That must be so nerve-wrecking...I think I'd go crazy if that happened year after year.

mego65- I can't imagine teaching that many students all day long...when you include my sped students for science and ss, I have 31, but that's only an hour a day. I only have 24 the rest of the day, thankfully.

37. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Mar 12, 2009

I can't imagine trying to handle 32 five-year olds. Wow.

38. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Mar 12, 2009

I just got pinked today as well. Our district has reduced enrollment and budget cuts. We have 3 HS's in the district and 4 full time science positions were chopped

39. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Mar 13, 2009

Cali is in the dumps anyway with the eco...if you can relocate to another state...