Just applied to 6 different districts...now what?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cfletcher84, Mar 6, 2013.

1. cfletcher84

cfletcher84 Rookie

Mar 6, 2013

Hi...I just sent out my resume and cover letter to 6 different districts for an elementary teacher position. I was wondering do I call them the next week and find out about where my application is standing? What do you say to the person in human resources? I was wondering what is my next step in this waiting game to get a teaching job.

What has worked for everyone else?

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 7, 2013

If you applied to large districts there is little the people in H.R. can do to help your chances. If you know which schools are hiring you can try to contact the principals.
    I learned the hard way that you should always contact H.R. to at least check on the status of your Application. I was first certified in 2005. I wasn't getting any interviews. In 2009 I found out that First Advantage Background Services was sending schools background checks that included two murders among other crimes committed by a person with the same name and birth date. These schools were using a 100% electronic Application process. The software put my application in a "needs review" status meaning principals could not access it. The people in H.R. weren't doing their jobs. They should have reviewed it and they legally needed to notify me but I know for certain 15 of 15 districts did not. Now I wait a few days after applying and call H.R. to make sure the status is clear.

4. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Mar 7, 2013

Yikes Robert - how did you find out that your information was mixed with someone else's? I worry about that because there is definitely more than one person in my city with my name, let alone how many in my state have the same name. The county even mixed us up with our voter cards this past year.

As for the original post, you typically wait unfortunately. Schools are just now (in my area) receiving their intent forms, notifying the school if the teacher is returning or not next year. Some positions are posting for next year, but typically the jobs start posting for next year in May, close to school ending (especially for jobs where teachers are not renewed).

5. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 7, 2013

I was looking hard for a teaching job in 2005 and 2006. That didn't work out so I talk a job in a different field and went back to school to add certifications in math. I started applying again in 2009. In 2009 I did receive a letter from a school district stating that they could not consider me because of issues with background check.

I requested in writing that First Advantage send me my background check and the employers they sent it to. There were 15 school districts including the school district were I did my student teaching. I believe they like me there and they hired 3 middle school history teachers that year. I was surprised and disappointed that I didn't even get an interview.

You just need to call H.R. and ask them politely for the status of your application. Do this with all districts you apply to a few days after you send your application. Also by law they are required to notify you if your background check is keeping them from considering you. However, they don't always comply with the law.

6. cfletcher84

cfletcher84 Rookie

Mar 10, 2013

I sent out paper applications to districts and even applied online to them. Some of the districts don't accept paper applications anymore. Some positions haven't even been announced yet. Some districts didn't even announce positions and I sent them one anyway. Do I still call HR as well as these districts and ask them the status of my application? Do I call them like every other week checking?