just applied -how long to wait

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by jd123, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Aug 31, 2006

I finally put in my application to sub with one of the local elementary school districts. The school year has already begun, so I'm not sure when I'll hear from anyone. I guess I can give it a week, and if I don't hear anything, I can call to see if the person in charge has seen the recent applications?? I don't know if there is general time-line, or if it just depends on the district's needs.

3. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

I probably wouldn't even wait that long. However, if they just started school they are probably pretty busy. But I wouldn't think the sub office would be that bogged down yet? I mailed mine in last Friday and then called in yesterday. Hope you hear something soon! :)

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2006

A lot of schools don't need subs. until the second or even third week of school. If you could, I would wait until Tuesday so that things calm down a little, then give them a call and make sure they have everything they need from you...

5. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Sep 1, 2006

Follow through

I'm a sub with 2 districts. In both cases, they were slow to contact me after I turned in my application. Follow up with them if you don't hear back after a reasonable amount of time. With one school district, it was easier for me to get a response if I directly emailed the person in personnel responsible for subs. The other school was impossible. One phone call a week for 2 months to schedule my appointment to "complete the application process". There were more hoops to jump through after I was hired. For example, I had to go to a "Safety Training" class. I would leave messages for the person at the district asking to sign up for this class, but I wouldn't get a return phone call confirming that I was signed up. Instead, all I got (twice) was a message saying, "We had you signed up to take today's class. You didn't show up. Please call us to reschedule." UGH!

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  6. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 1, 2006

When I applied for Sunstitute in Northeastern IL, the districts usually gave me W2s and other employment forms almost immediately on the spot and in the cases where I mailed in my résumé, I usually received W2s and such 1 to 2 weeks after they received my stuff.

Once the HR or school recieved my completed W2s and other employment forms, it usually took a day or two for me to be added to the sub lists.

You'll probably hear from them the first time they'd like you to come in and sub or a few days prior to your first day, if not and you feel the need to talk to someone then pick up the phone and call them right after the long Labor Day weekend and inquire about the current status of your application.

7. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Sep 2, 2006

Thank you, everyone, for your comments!

8. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Sep 2, 2006

Hi jd123-

I turned in my 30 day emergency paper work to a school district near me last month. Earlier last week the CCTC emailed me to say they got the paper work and that it would be 2-4 months for the paper work to be processed. I called the lady at the school district to find out if I could sub now and if I had to wait for the paper work to be processed, she said no and then transferred me to the HR person. The HR person advised me to go on line and apply on line to be a sub, and once that is done then I will be set to sub. Don't know if this helps at all.