Just another "teaching" lie?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SportsJunkie25, Jul 30, 2009.

1. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

What happened to "Oh! Science and math teachers will always have a job. They're in such high demand!" Um...I'm thinking that's a lie, just like the so-called "teaching shortage"?? Am I the only one thinking this?

I've called around to numerous schools, in my district (one of the worst districts in the U.S.; no one wants to live/work here. Fyi - I'm not here by choice. Lol. Times are hard right now so this new grad has to bum free rent off of the parents. But anyway, TMI for this thread :whistle:), and no one is hiring a math or science teacher. I can teach any level math or science classes; that's not helping me either.

Really? I thought every district was in dire need of us? My district websites states "math, science and special ed" as high needs area and they're looking for teachers. Could have fooled me. None of the high schools need us.

Apparently no teachers are needed...anywhere. What gives?

3. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 30, 2009

I think there is a teacher shortage in M, S, Sped. But, I also think that the level of that shortage depends on where you are located. I had to do quite a few SPED interviews before I got offered a position. If you are in LA, they are having difficulty right now. I know it is frustrating. I was frustrated too. I applied to districts that did not advertise that they were hiring and I got some interviews that way. Are you just not getting interview calls?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

IF there are jobs, they're for secondary math, Chemistry and Physics.

But this is no normal year. Thousands and thousands of teachers were RIF'd in the spring, and their districts will hire them before they look outside.

You say you've "called." Does that mean you've submitted a resume and a cover letter? That's the absolute first step in any job search; no school will consider you to be a serious applicant without both of those documents in their hands.

5. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Right now, I'm in Las Vegas; we only have one district...and most people don't want to work here (so I thought and based on what's always on the news: "Las Vegas...desperate for teachers!") b/c the schools are so bad. I figured they'd have plenty of positions available. I guess I'm mistaken. :unsure:

I'm only interested in secondary positions. That's another reason why I'm like, "Um...where are all of the jobs!?"

When I say call, I mean a "follow-up" call. I contact the principal via email so I can attach my resume and cover letter then call them a couple of days later and ask them about any possible openings. If their email is not online, I'll call and ask to speak with him/her or their secretary and get all of the necessary information needed so they'll have my resume/CL.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.a...09-07-21+11:17:00&seq=1&fseo=1&isjs=1&re=1000

OK, from what you say, I assume your entire application is already on file. Now drop off a copy of your resume and cover letter, in person if possible, with each principal in the district.

Now apply to every Catholic high school in the diocese, whether or not they're showing an opening. http://www.lasvegas-diocese.org/schools_gorman.html

Here's a charter school: http://odysseyk12.org/hs/pages/common/contact_form.asp

If you're serious about moving, here are some openings:
    http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search...hemistry teacher&cy=us&lid=316&re=0&pg=1&dv=1

http://jobsearch.monster.com/Search...1&q=math teacher&cy=us&lid=316&re=0&pg=1&dv=1

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.a...09-07-01+15:26:00&seq=1&fseo=1&isjs=1&re=1000

7. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

8. ChaseJuggler

ChaseJuggler New Member

Jul 31, 2009

Same here

Yeah man... I'm a new graduate with a degree in physics and licensed to teach science and math. I've been able to find positions teaching other courses (earth science, chemistry), but I have not yet found an opening for a math & physics job.

It's just a weird year to be entering the teaching world I guess.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

Check those last links I gave sportsjunkie; they're math, chem and physics openings around the country.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 1, 2009

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

This is not a typical year.

12. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

<<Apparently no teachers are needed...anywhere. What gives? >>

Ever read a newspaper?

I'm not trying to be rude but do you honestly not know why jobs are scarce right now?

13. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

Not trying to be rude? Ok. :yawn:

I was talking about my district/state. Despite what's going on in other states, they're still adamant on there being a teaching shortage here and are trying to recruit teachers from other states/districts. Fyi.

14. edu

edu Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

There are math jobs

Every school wants to hire the teacher with appropriate credentials/licensure. Idon't know in what state else you are eligible to teach but if you can teach in New Mexico right now there are 6 math positions open in Albuquerque Public Schools, NM alone and there are many in that state. I was offered jobs in Albuquerque and in Los Angeles but I chose Los Angeles.

15. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 1, 2009

Right now, finding a job will be difficult for anyone. When I was looking last summer, I first tried applying to only my surrounding area (the Chicago area), and got absolutely nowhere. I then extended my search to the entire state, and had a job within a month.

If you're willing to relocate, either to another part of your state, or even to another region, with some dedication and effort, you will almost certainly find a job. If you limit yourself to just one metropolitan area.... in this economy... you may find yourself searching for years. I realize moving isn't feasible for everyone, but that's the situation I dealt with....

16. edu

edu Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

I guess that at least next 2 years are going to be tough. We should be ready to relocate to any part of the country. Better to take the teaching licenses in 2 or 3 states more so we can use it if needed.

17. Alex2Eng

Alex2Eng Rookie

Aug 1, 2009

Ugh you scare me! Does anybody know what it's like for Secondary English jobs? I feel like when I graduate in May 2010 there will be nothing in Long Island N.Y., but I could be totally wrong. Sometimes I feel like I might be able to get a Doctorate's before finding a position in a high school.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

Alex, English jobs are tough to come by in my area (southern Texas). We seem to be a dime a dozen.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2009

It's a very tough year indeed!!! For both elementary and secondary. Last year, this time, I had applied to well over 20 positions, all in elementary, but I did notice quite a few for secondary. THis year, I''ve been ONLY able to apply to two, and both of these are secondary, and are not really a teaching job. It's more like tutoring. It's a VERY tough year indeed. I have a feeling that there will be more hiring going on the closer we get to school. I mean, even though there is no money, there still are kids, they haven't disappeared. We still need teachers for the kids! It's just a very tough market right now, for all. I saw a couple of math and science positions in the beginning of the summer, but they were quickly snatched up.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2009

Long Islandi s tough for almost anything, anytime. The typical exceptions are Math, Chemistry and Physics.

And don't rush to get that PhD!!! In rough economic times, VERY few districts have the money to hire someone THAT qualified. They would much prefer a new teacher with a BA than a new teacher who will cost them a lot more.

You still have a year before you graduate. Use that time to become a familiar face. Go to the plays and the homecomings; talk to the teachers you meet.

Also, consider coaching Speech & Debate. It's HARD to find teachers willing to give all the time that Forensics requires; it may just be the edge that you need. Here's a list of last year's schedule; it will give you an idea of some of the schools involved:
    http://www.lifa.org/schedule.html

21. Alex2Eng

Alex2Eng Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

Thanks Alice! The reason I mentioned a PhD was because I eventually want to teach college. So I guess things will work out for me either way. I can get a job teaching right away and start working toward higher degrees or not find a job at all and work toward those degrees and find colleges to work at.

Who knows? Things could be totally different by next year especially since all the standards are changing.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

We still need a ton of teachers here! We're recruiting out of the country! We show 95 openings still, and we start in a week!

23. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I am in the same boat. Well, I have a year before I finish my MAT. Hopefully, the economy will get a little bit better by then. I am going into middle school science. In Kentucky, there were 34 positions for middle school science positions this year. Hopefully, this trend will continue for next year. Fingers cross.

24. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Aug 2, 2009

I sure hope this is just not a typical year!
    I faced a similar situation 8 years ago (in Portugal) and don't look forward to reliving it again, now that I moved to the US.

25. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 6, 2009

Well, I teach science (was laid off this spring after 2 years in a district), have a total of 7 years experience and am licensed in physics, bio, earth/space and general science and there were only 3 positions in my area of the state of WI that had openings (2 were LTS positions), one was a physics position. I got one of the LTS positions, but that is an hour from where I live. There are more jobs here near bigger cities (Milwaukee), but for me that's a 2-3 hr commute and not doable (since my hubby had a good job here). Anyway, in past years there have been more jobs and fewer applicants (I wasn't the only science teacher laid off in my district nor the only district who laid off teachers, that plus new graduates= a more flooded market), not to mention the fact that the districts who laid off teacher aren't hiring.

26. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

QUESTION!?

WHO'S GOING TO TEACH ALL OF THESE KIDS!!??

This is one thing I can't understand - classes are already oversized...what's going to happen to the students/classes the laid off teachers used to teach? I guess they're just going to pile these students in on other teachers? Wouldn't classes be 40-45+ students? :eek:

27. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2009

I already have from 38-42 students in each class, and I have a feeling the average will be closer to 40-41 this year.

28. isthisrob

isthisrob Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

It's bad in NJ

I got let go after teaching algebra for two years at a middle school. I have been applying to jobs all summer (20+ resumes) and only got one interview. Didn't get the job. The only districts that are hiring are the very dangerous ones (e.g., Newark, Irvington). Best I could do was get a sub position at a nearby district. Most districts around here aren't even taking sub applications any more.

Last time I was looking in 2007, I had 3 offers to choose from (2 private, 1 public).

Teacher shortage? It's a lie.

29. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

Most of the postings for CPS have seemed to be Math, Science, Sped and Bilingual (and not just Spanish).

30. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Aug 10, 2009

Many postings here are just a "formality," as the jobs themselves will be filled by other (tenured) teachers who used to teach at one of several schools that have been shut down due to budget cuts. There *are* no openings here, period.

p.s. I did see tons of postings in Louisiana. Are those formalities, too, or what's their story?

31. SSA

SSA Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I think one look at the soaring unemployment rate could have told you that.

In the current economy *any* edge that you have compared to another job candidate could be the difference. I personally knew a teacher who said that being willing to coach speech and debate helped him get a job. I've been told that a number of young teachers often manage to snag jobs by being willing to take on some coaching role that no current teacher wanted for whatever reason. Speech and Debate coach due to the long schedule often isn't a popular role.

One really has to broaden their horizons to find a job these days, but merely because one's neck of the woods isn't hiring doesn't mean nobody is hiring. That being said you are right that those with little experience will face a large uphill battle to get a job.

32. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

I am just going to throw this out there...schools of education are big money makers for colleges.....

33. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Exactly. They just want our money!!! :mad: I'm not falling for it...I need to think of a Plan C. Lol.

34. SSA

SSA Companion

Aug 11, 2009

Most colleges though, even the private ones, tend to be non-profit in nature so I don't think most colleges have schools of education for your implied profit motive.

Furthermore, if there aren't any jobs in education than the certifications wouldn't be worth much and hence they probably wouldn't be a lot of alumni giving from graduates of ed schools. If you were looking to expand your college with the idea of maximizing alumni giving I would think you would be trying to open a law school of a business school.

35. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

My college was limited in who they took in to the program. They only accepted about 20 people to each department each year.

36. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 12, 2009

I am not saying that colleges have schools of education for the absolute purpose of making money. I went to a small private liberal arts college, so I am aware, that they are non-profits. Education was only 1 of 60 majors offered. I do, however, live in a major metropolitan area with 16 private 4 year schools within a 150 mile radius. None of them limit who they take into the education program. Any one can get in as long as they meet Ed. Dept. admissions requirements. Of these 16, only two offered certification programs in higher need areas of Special Education and ESL/Bilingual Ed. They all offered math and science certs. But, candidates in those two areas are harder to come by. Also, I have a good friend in higher education administration at one the local private schools and it was she who filled me in on how her school/employer was gaining "something" by adding to an already "flooded market", as she put it. I did not say that there are not any jobs available, nor that schools just want students' money. I understand the other poster's frustration. However, teaching skills can be marketed to many other fields. Unfortunately, the economy is not lending helping hand in this respect.

37. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

No one is guaranteed anything, no matter what license you hold. I tried to tell that to a preservice teacher the other day. The University has convinced her that she will be guaranteed a job when she graduates no matter what because she can teach science. I told her if elementary and english teachers are a dime a dozen, then science and math teachers are a quarter a dozen. You might see more postings in those areas, but they could already be filled by someone in the district, a former student teacher, the superintendent's daughter, etc. There might be 10 other people applying for that position. Very rarely will you be the only one. And we have all heard the same song about science and math teachers being a shortage area for years. Do you think you are the only one that decided to go into education heard that and chose one of those shortage fields for a "guaranteed job"? No matter what you are applying for it takes a mix of charm, timing, and luck to secure any position. But she poopooed me. Ah, well.

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2009

That "guarantee" should be a huge red flag!!!

Let's assume that the teacher in question is indeed everything an employer could ask for-- the perfect combination of Plato, Mary Poppins and Mr. Chips. So they guarantee that she'll find a job. Wonderful.

But, somewhere in those same classes, is what my friends and I refer to as a "slug." You know the type-- they skate by, doing the absolute minimum. She's dressed way too inappropriately-- lots of cleavage-- absolutely no trace of professionalism as she chomps on her gum and text messages her way through class.

She also has a guarantee of employment??? WHO will hire her??? Realistically, unless the college is willing to put her on the payroll themselves, they CAN'T guarantee a job to the "unhireables" out there!

You know the old saying "let the buyer beware"???? It applies here too. Anyone who assumes that they'll have a job upon graduation without doing their homework is setting themselves up for a huge disappointment!!

39. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

Update: So, I know why my district isn't hiring teachers...they prefer to use long-term subs so they can pay them less (and not have to worry about benefits).

School starts on Monday and I just saw over 30 vacancies, listed for subs to sign up for, across the district. :eek: I was only on the site for about 15 mins but I'm sure more will pop up. Especially Monday morning...

40. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 21, 2009

We were told the same about reading. But where I'm from, the emphasis is definately on math and science. But I'm still trying to figure out how far one can go if you can't read. Literacy is not a major focus anymore as math and science have taken over. Can someone explain this to me?

41. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 21, 2009

Chicago got away with doing this for many years.

They had people as full time subs, with minimal benefits and not working towards tenure.

Apparently it was changed just before I was hired.

Both because of NCLB and the union contract- though it still happens in some schools of course.

Some schools though are hard to get teachers to want to work at and then there are subs there for another reason.