Just accepted a position at a Catholic school!

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by rachaelski, May 29, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 29, 2009

After a winding road (interviewed and LOVED the Catholic school, interviewed with district school, offered both positions, accepted district because it would help pay for school and I am taking a major pay cut, found out my license wouldn't allow me to teach at district school, called Catholic school and offer still stood, I accepted Catholic school position), I find myself a future Catholic school teacher, teaching 7th and 8th Language Arts/Literature. I have previously taught at charter schools, where I was creating a lot of the curriculum myself, which I love. In addition, I am used to a culture of high-stakes testing, which will not be the case at my new school. I absolutely LOVE the P and AP of the school, they are very progressive and the total opposite of the stereotypical "catholic school."

I am interested in any advice, experiences, warnings people have to offer. Please share! :woot:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2009

Congratulations!!!

I'm finishing my 23rd year in Catholic schools, and there's no where else in the world I would want to teach!!

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 29, 2009

Thanks Alice!!!

What is it that you enjoy? Any tips or advice?

I am really excited, it was the position that I wanted most...stupid money clouding my head.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2009

I love so many things, some unique to my school, some not.

I love that it's a school I'm proud to be in. Take a look at some of my posts; I brag about my school all the time.

I love that my administration supports us.

I love that we're allowed to say "No, that's WRONG."

I love that we start each class with a prayer and have mass once a month.

I love the fact that we really are a community.

I could go on and on and on.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 29, 2009

Welcome to Catholic Schools--I love them. My administration is the greatest. I do not teach all year so that my students can take a test at the end of the year. We laugh and cry together as a school. We gather as a school community at least every 2 weeks for mass or celebrations. I am supported in what I do by the administration and the parents. I taught for a year in public school and there was not the same feeling as in a catholic school so I went back to catholic schools and have never looked back since.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 30, 2009

As a Catholic person, I'm actually really interested in the prospects of teaching at a Catholic school in the future--- I'm too in love with the school I teach at now to leave. :) Right now since I'm in private, when I'm teaching science I can bring up what I believe faith wise IF the students ask about it--- I never bring it up otherwise (and I always remind the students to speak to their parents about faith since they should be learning it via the parents, not me). So that would be a bigger perk for me if I could work some place that supported my Christian faith.

For those who have or will work in the Catholic education community, do you find that the curriculum supports the Catholic faith or are they hands off when it comes to science type topics?

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

Teaching science in a Catholic School can be tricky especially if the school is very conservative. My last school was owned by a group of very liberal nuns and they really did not care what you taught. The school I am at now is not liberal at all so I usually answer any questions that my students ask and follow it with the statement, "but this is not what we believe as Catholics. We believe..." I really do like the aspect of being able to pray with my students at the beginning of every class and being able to discuss faith issues with my students. I am in the process of working with the religion department to teach a course in Bioethics where I will teach the science and someone from religion will teach the Catholic Church's point of view.

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 30, 2009

I am not Catholic, nor am I an active attender of church, but I am really excited about teaching at this particular school. I have no problems with the prayer, mass, and having to keep my opinions (that differ from the Catholic church) to myself. I understand and respect that. I came from a midsize city that had 6 Catholic high schools, and everyone I know that came from those schools had a great education. The opportunity to teach in an environment like the one I am stepping into makes the compromises seem like nothing.

My current question/concern: How open is the Catholic church to couples living together before marriage? My boyfriend and I live together. We totally plan on getting married this fall. Should I keep quiet that we are living together?

Do Catholic schools have their own teaching guides or do they follow state standards? (or what does your school do, I know it may be different)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 30, 2009

I wouldn't share that you are living with your boyfriend...it's really no one's business...why invite discussion/judgement of your personal life?

I didn't have a curriculum guide when I taught in Catholic schools so I followed the state standards.

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

I have had a morals clause in my contract in the Catholic Schools that I have taught at. It basically says that if we are found doing anything against the moral beliefs of the church, then we can be fired. That being said, the liberal school that I taught at had several people living with boyfriends or girlfriends and had homosexual teachers. There was an understanding between the school and those teachers that as long as it was not publically broadcast then it was not a problem. The school that I teach at now, I could see them firing someone over the morals clause. I would just keep things quiet until you know the atmosphere at your school.
    As far as curriculum goes, I have modified the state and national science standards to teach what I want to teach. My students do not have to take a state test so what I teach is flexible. Check with your school and talk to the teachers above you to see what they expect the students to know the following year and also talk to the grade below you to see what they got to. The good thing about most Catholic schools is that in most cases the kids attend the same school from PreK-8th so the curriculum can be filled in if something has not been taught.

12. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jun 24, 2009

This statement came in handy this year when I was showing an Eyewitness video about Volcanos to my science class. There was a line in the video that stated "some theories suggest that the Red Sea could have been parted by an earthquake" Well, I had 2 girls that told their parents(after stating" I thought God did") and the parents went ballistic. Apparently the girls forgot the "one theory suggests"quote. I then had to defend my position for showing the movie and made sure to clarify the Catholic position on the Red Sea. I look back at the scene and realize how blown up the parents made it, but I can totally see how we have to be careful about the messages. However, I think these parents are not totally in tune with the real world and perhaps sheild their children a little too much. Anyway, it's always good to know the info and be able to back it up!
    I've been teaching in Catholic schools for 10 years and love it!
    GOOD LUCK with your new position.:thumb:

13. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST WISHES!!!!!!

14. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Congrats on the new job rachaelski.

15. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

I have taught in a Catholic school for the past ten years. I really have enjoyed the autonomy I am given in respect to what I teach. But not all of my experiences have been great. The principal is not terribly supportive, and we have had a drop in enrollment which causes me stress about whether or not I will get a new contract.

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 29, 2009

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to share how much I love and admire Catholic schools!

I am going into my 7th year teaching and all years have been in Catholic schools. I have found them to be such nurturing and caring places ~ ~ for both the students and teachers!!!

While there's going to be "cattiness" in most places of work, I really have found some wonderful "angels" while being employed in Catholic Schools!

I hope you enjoy your experience as a Catholic School Educator!

Blessings to You!

17. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks Starista!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 29, 2009

Congrats & enjoy!