Just a vent!

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by KLaMonda, Jul 31, 2002.

1. KLaMonda

KLaMonda Rookie

Jul 31, 2002

I will be in a portable this year, and as of right now, I am not able to get in it because the school board has to send people over to my school and inspect it before they will let me move in. We had a long meeting this morning at school, but after that, everyone was fixing up their rooms, and setting up, and I can't even get my stuff in the room yet!! The bad thing is, they don't even KNOW when they will be over to inspect it- they have to go to all the schools in polk county that have portables and do this- isn't this something they should have thought about way before teachers got back?! So I don't know what I'm going to do the rest of the week- what does the administration expect of me, knowing I can't move into my classroom? I am so detailed oriented, so not being able to get in there until last minute is going to kill me- I don't have any materials, any books, any furniture- how in the heck will i start the first day? I really need to catch the principal and talk to her about all of this, but it seems like they never know much about ESE- she was stuck with this unit only 2 weeks ago!
    Ugh! So anyway, I just wanted to vent about this- I was crying all the way home today...
    Not a great way to start my second year teaching.

3. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 31, 2002

That is the worst feeling ever for someone who likes to plan ahead! My first year, I had no tables or chairs, much less manips, paper, etc. until MARCH! It was essentially me and 18 kids in an empty classroom, with the stuff I borrowed from other teachers. Unbelievable.

What I learned was to relax- worrying will NOT make the materials come faster, or the school system to get it together any sooner. You can do it! Good teachers like yourself can teach with nothing but their own minds and their kids'. In a few months, things will all be normal and your anxiety will be a memory. This is easier said than done, I know, but hang in there. The more you dwell on it, the more worked up you'll get and that doesn't do anyone any good. :)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 8, 2002

Keep your head up! All you an do is make the best of the situation. If you let it start your year off on the wrong foot, the year will drag on and seem o get worse.
    You can over come this! Special education teachers are resilient! Let your resilience shine, because your children will pick up on it too!
    Best of luck!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 9, 2002

Hi,
    You're in a tough situation, but you can do it, despite not having what you need!
    My suggestion would be to assume the worst case scenerio and plan for it. Go to garage sales and look for what you need. Often times I tell folks that I'm a special ed teacher and they reduce the price, give me the item free, or I ask if I can come back for things that don't sell and would thus be donated.
    Books, furniture, costumes for dress up, McDonald's toys for manipulatives and more!
    Surf the net for ideas, lesson plans or expanding your bag-o-tricks. You can have fun this year, no matter where they put you!

6. debbieb

debbieb Rookie

Dec 6, 2002

Get to know the custodians. they can be very helpful finding bookcases, desks, tables, and other supplies. They know where any
    additional things are and can get them to you.
    I make a practice of meeting and getting to know the lunchroom and custodial personell. They are the backbone of the school. This school year the custodians have found me: a white board, a nice bookcases, a half round table and great christmas decorations and a pool for my ball pit.
    The lunch room ladies prompt my students so they can go through the lunch line independent of me. They have helped us bake cookies and make punch. They do more for me than the administration ever has.
    Debbie