Just a vent

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by HoldenCaulfield, Feb 1, 2011.

1. HoldenCaulfield

HoldenCaulfield Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

I've been a lurker on these forums for some time, but just now decided to register and post a vent about something. I work in two local systems and have been doing the subbing thing for three years with both districts combined.

I recently had a third grade class for two days in a row. When I was leaving today the principal asked me if I had a couple minutes and I said yes. He went on to say that the third grade teacher I subbed for complained that "things weren't getting done the way she wanted them to". I was taken aback and honestly felt very saddened to hear this. I explained that things were a little rough because:

1. She wanted me to use the Promethean board, but didn't leave the password for her computer and it was shut down.
    2. The plans she left were on the "back" table, but were actually on the front table covered with assignments.
    3. The pen and remote for the promethean board were in a cup located on the far side of the room behind stacks of paper where they couldn't be seen,
    4. Neighboring teachers had no idea what her plans entailed or where things were located.

On top of all this I've had no training (as with other subs in this district) with Promethean boards and this was the bulk of her assignment.

Have any of you had similar situations? I'm really just aggravated.

:help:

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Did the principal seem to understand?

This teacher could have been trying to cover her own a**. We all know that it happens.

4. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Feb 1, 2011

It would have been practical for her to adapt the lesson without the board, especially if she was only gone two days. Not only did she not plan well but she also made sure to place a lot of blame on you. That's unfortunate.

Is there any way you can get trained on how to use the board?

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 1, 2011

The district really should offer training to the subs in how to use the boards--I assume that's the same as a SmartBoard, right? I work in two districts that use them, and they offer training to subs. I'm not sure how in-depth it goes, though. I assume it at least covers the basics.

And why would a teacher who leaves such a mess complain? How would she even know that you were doing something that she didn't like? It sounds like one of her coworkers told her you were asking questions and she decided to cover her own ass.

I hate it when they don't leave the password. I've had that happen also. The only thing you can do is improvise and explain in your note that you didn't have it. You did the right thing by telling the principal your side.

6. HoldenCaulfield

HoldenCaulfield Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

Yes, this is the same as a Smartboard. It just really irks me because the principal said he wanted to get both sides of the story, yet he was really taking up for her.

I also had an EA with me the majority of the day and she wasn't willing to help and justed looked at me like I should know what to do.

I'll probably just pass on the jobs in this school in the future if this is how they want to be. It will really be their loss anyway.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

I wouldn't necessarily pass on the jobs in that school...but just for that teacher.

8. HoldenCaulfield

HoldenCaulfield Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

I forgot to mention that this is an open classroom school which just drives me crazy. Basically everyone in the pod hears what goes on.

9. TeachSoCal

TeachSoCal Rookie

Feb 3, 2011

So funny I was just about to post a vent about the same thing!

I got a call yesterday from a new district I applied to & told I would be placed on the sub list & that they would contact me to arrange an orintation & get set up on subfinder.

Well the next morning I get a call from that district asking me to sub. I show up at the school & the rooms a hot mess. When I read over the plans, she has everything planned for the smartboard or using the computer. Well the problem was, there was no computer in the classroom & I could not log into the smartboard! Turns out the district gives the teachers laptops to dock & use- well hers was obviously at home with her :help:

If the district relies on technology they really need to take the time to train the subs to use it too!

10. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Feb 3, 2011

That's pretty awful.

Promethean does offer an online course, at least they used to. It may be worth checking out if not for this job but a future one.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 4, 2011

I agree & I also wouldn't sub for her specifically anymore either.

12. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Feb 4, 2011

I just got my Smartboard in my room and try to use it as much as possible. However, yesterday I needed a sub to do training, so I changed my lesson plans to not involve the Smartboard at all. I did not know the sub in my room well and did not know if she knew how to use the Smartboard. I figured this would be easier for everyone.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

My very first sub assignment was in a middle school math class. When I walked into the room, one whiteboard was completely covered with the lessons and HW assignments for the entire week for all 3 grades. No way was I about to erase that!

The other whiteboard was mostly covered by the Smartboard, which the teacher used primarily in her lesson presentations. Since I had no access to her computer and NO IDEA how to use a Smartboard, I went to the library and borrowed a portable whiteboard (on an easel frame).

I stayed in this assignment for 10 days. On the 2nd day, I approached the P and asked if he could show me how to use the Smartboard. He gave me the generic "Student" password and about 5 minutes instruction on Smartboard basics. The kids were able to offer other tips and suggestions and by Day 3 things were running much more smoothly.

I definitely would NOT sub for this teacher again. She obviously did not plan her substitute lessons very well and then put the blame on you to cover her backside. I can understand the P supporting the teacher, but I would bet he took mental notes of everything you said and very likely approached the teacher in private after hearing your version of the events. At least one would hope so.