Just a sub

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by somedayteacher, Aug 24, 2007.

1. somedayteacher

somedayteacher Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

Do other teachers ever say something about you being only the sub or just a sub? If so, does it bother you?
    -Paula

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2007

Not to my face anyway!! And even if they did, I would be sure they knew I was a certified teacher.

4. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

A very few do but most are very respectful! Especially those who have been sub at some time themselves!!!
    It does really bother me when it happens though. I consider myself a professional and act like one at all times regardless of pay or comments!
    MsSub

5. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 24, 2007

Remember - in our profession, there's no such thing as "just" an anything. Everyone's job is important.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

Most of the supply teachers who work in our school are treated with respect, and many become almost like a member of the staff. Those who don't are those who: are consistently late for school, classes or duties; don't follow plans left by the teacher; complain about the staff and students; fail to treat students with respect. Classroom teachers could not do their jobs effectively without fabulous, dependable supply teachers!

7. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

I have found that it depends on the school system you are working in. I work for three different school districts and each school and building treats their subs differently. At my daughters school for instance the teachers don't even talk much to me, but at another school in the same district I get talked to by everyone. I think it greatly depends on the demenaor that is set by the building principal. In my daughters building new teachers were told not to talk to older teachers in their building. I really don't like working there.

8. smalltowngal

Aug 26, 2007

I wonder what the purpose is by not having the new teachers talk to the older teachers. I think teaching should be a team thing were everyone can get ideas from each other!!

9. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

The principal was trying to get all new young teachers and didn't want the older teachers in the bulding. This building ahs a very high turnover rate. Every year their are several new teachers in the building.

10. smalltowngal

Aug 26, 2007

That's crazy!! I know that sometimes, older teachers are set in their ways (old school teaching), but there are older teachers that fuse the old way into what's new. I wouldn't want to work for that type of principal..

11. kmb7

kmb7 New Member

Aug 26, 2007

I know that the teachers in our School have a hard time with subs. We spend a bunch of time planning and making it easy for them and they never follow our plans. The hard part for me is knowing the subs only have to have 24 credit hours to be able to sub. When I lived in MI I was cert. and I subbed. I also know that you had to have 90 credits to sub in MI and at least 12 had to be education.

12. smalltowngal

Aug 26, 2007

When I have subbed before, it was when I was actually going to school to be a teacher. I always tried to follow the teachers plans to a T. I noticed when talking to other subs, that I was the one getting the calls. I know there was a particular AP that was always calling me for assignments, and even wanted me for a long term position but the principal overruled him w/ a retired teacher. I find that most districts would rather have retired teachers, certified teachers in the classrooms.

13. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 26, 2007

In my school we treat substitutes with great respect. I tell my class what they do when I am not present reflects on how well they have learned the conflict resolution and behavior skills both their parents and I are trying to teach them. I take it very personally if they cause another teacher in the room a problem. Teachers who don't treat a substitute correctly should not make you feel bad if you are trying your best. They probably feel very insecure about he job they are doing in the classroom.
    I feel very sorry for the new teachers in the school where they are told by the principal not to associate with veteran teachers. This is how you learn. It sounds like a school where a new unproven method is being implemented and the principal wants new teachers who they can force to use this method,becausethey know of nothing better to do.
    Good luck in subbing. You are essential to a well run school system.

14. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Most teachers are supportive

I guess I am pretty lucky I have never had a teacher refer to me as "just a sub". If we are in the techer's lounge they always include me in discussions and ask my opinions on certain things.

Mldouglas

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2007

If they say it I've never heard it.... everyone has to start somewhere, and I make an extra effort to make sure everything is accomplished that was left for me. I leave detailed notes, and I essentially do what I would want someone else to do for me.

Sub or not you still have a teaching degree- that makes you a TEACHER....

16. roamer

roamer Companion

Aug 27, 2007

Oops. :sorry: I've been known to refer to myself as "just a sub" or "just an aide." I greatly admire all of the teachers in my building and I am not yet on the same level, professionally, that they are. When talking to people about work, I emphasize that I'm not yet a teacher, but am "just" a sub or an aide (I had to quit my aide position this year for student teaching).

The teachers, however, have never referred to me as anything other than a teacher.

17. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 27, 2007

I have business cards I use that let people know I am a certified teacher. However, I will admit I am "just a sub" in the aspect I don't know the little things about how each school works.