Just a question...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Teaching Grace, May 23, 2007.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 23, 2007

I've subbed a total of maybe 3 times. However, I do understand the fact of going into a classroom and being nervous and wanting to know all the different things that are going to happen. However, as a first yera teacher this fall, I'm putting together a sub folder for whenever I'll be out. I'm curious to know what is the 1 main and most-important piece of information that you want to know when you go into the classroom? I'm hoping to make the folder somewhat extensive but to the point. I got a really nice digital camera for graduation. So I want to be able to take pictures of all my kids so that the sub will know who's who and where the sit. (You know how kids love to take advantage of a sub who doesn't know them! They always want to change seats and tell them they are somebody else.) Any help or ideas you can supply would be great! Thanks :)

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 23, 2007

If you are going to make a sub folder with pictures of the students. You might want to give a brief description of each child. Like: Jonny likes to use the bathroom to get out of work. Or Jenny is very helpful with handing out supplies but don't let her be a partner to Carry because they will talk the whole time.

I had a teacher do that with just names no pictures once. It was nice, when I started having a problem to look and see it wasn't just me that had this same one.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 23, 2007

Thanks! I was going to definitely tell who were the helpful ones and who would be the most problem children. But I'll do the other students as well!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 27, 2007

I always get compliments on my sub folder, although it's really extensive.

Here are the basics I always wanted:
    1. List of students, preferrabley in a seating chart.
    2. Class schedule/assignments.
    3. Irregularities in class schedule.
    4. Specifics on "problem children".
    5. Who to ask when I have questions--both students AND teachers.

Here's what I have in my sub folder:
    1. Seating charts with pictures of the students.
    2. Page of specifics of each class, which includes medical issues, problem areas, and general class overview. I also include dismissal times.
    3. Outline of the school day.
    4. A "where to find it" list so they'll know where to find any necessary supplies.
    5. List of responsible students in each class.
    6. List of teachers who know where my things are, phone numbers and room numbers.
    7. Fire, tornado, earthquake, and code papers.
    8. List of all of my procedures and expectations for each activity and transition, including the quiet signal.
    9. "behavior journal" sheets for problem students
    10. office referrals for major problems
    11. sub's notes--I ask for absent students, tardy students, work completed, and behavior report.
    12. sign out sheet for kids who ask to leave the classroom
    13. the daily lesson plan

I have it all in a binder with index tabs.

6. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

May 27, 2007

As a sub, one thing that is different from school to school is their roll sheet. Some schools don't want you writing on it, some want it right away while others at 10 and things like that. Its always helpful when their on instructions on how the roll sheet should be used.

Also, if you could have extra time filler activities. A few weeks ago I subbed for 3rd grade and the teacher had about 5 different educational crosswords and math activitiy sheets and she said "here is my copy code, use these if you run out of things to do" and sure enough, they came in handy!

7. smilingteacher

smilingteacher Rookie

May 28, 2007

wow Ima_teacher I'd love to sub for you! Do you leave your number as well?

John

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

May 29, 2007

I'm out tomorrow because my dad's having survey . . . come on over. LOL

I leave my cell phone number. The majority of the time I'm out it's because I'm gone somewhere . . . hospital, workshop, etc. My home phone wouldn't be that useful.

9. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

May 29, 2007

In my binder, I have:

my morning routine, classroom management plan, restroom and lunch procedures, what to do when we have indoor recess, student schedules (who goes where, when), who the sub can contact for help, reliable students, a seating chart, and any other notes I feel are necessary.

I have a template saved in word. If you would like it I can send it to you.

10. DramaQueen!!

DramaQueen!! Rookie

Jun 1, 2007

I always get asked" When is it due." or " What am I supposed to do." from students who were gone the day before. That is usually when the teacher has left the instructions of ,"They know how to do this, we went over it yesterday." It's also hard to answer those questions when I don't know what the objective is for the assignment. Is it an introduction, is it a kind of pretest, is it a time filler, a review. Those differing situations changes the advice I give to those struggling. If it is an introduction then I would say look for it and see what else is in the chapter. if it is a pretest I know that they should probably have some notes.

The more details on the assignments and general class procedures, or even who is the least trust worthy is always infinitely better. If your seating chart isn't up to date, and you really don't care where they sit- tell me that, however if they are always - no matter what- supposed to be in an assigned seat, tell me that too. That will also help someone who is a brand new sub.

Details, Details, Details.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 1, 2007

Our first grade and including fourth grade have name tags on their desk. On each desk we put a tri-pod with the students name on both sides. The name helps me, (the first few days), subs or as we like to call them (our guest teacher) , Paras and visitors know students names. These stay on the desk all year. If a student starts destroying the name. Quickly pass out a piece of bubble gum or 3 or 4 M&M’s none on that students desk. “Oh, I didn’t get____” You have their attention. “I didn’t forget you, but you weren’t following directions” Give them some tape and when they repair their names. They get the treat, but none if you do it again” it works……Another name idea….cut a piece of molding into 6 inch strips. This is molding that is only about 3 inches wide with a big bump on one end and then it scoops down to a small lip on the other. It is just basic molding. Anyway, you cut it into strips and then through the fat part you can cut a slit with a saw that will hold their name cards. Then the scoop out that comes back up at the bottom is a pencil holder.