Just a little venting...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissTeach22, Apr 5, 2010.

1. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Apr 5, 2010

So I am on Easter break right now and had a parent email me because she wanted to know if I didn't hand out birthday invitations she left on my desk. Her child's birthday is over the break. I passed out each invitation directly to parents or put them in the child's backpack. Another parent is saying she didn't receive an invite. This just annoys me, I can not help what children/parents do with things once in their backpacks! Besides, last I checked it was't my responsibility to make sure people come to his birthday party!

Okay, now that I got that out I feel better :p

3. daisyfoot

daisyfoot Rookie

Apr 5, 2010

I hear ya! On Thursday we were supposed to leave for a field trip at 9am. We were boarding the bus when child X showed up at 9:05 with party invites in hand. Invitations were placed on a shelf outside classroom door. Some of the class left for home immediately following the field trip - never going back to school. We put the invites on the kids' name tags on the coatrack. By the time everyone left for the day only 2 had been taken (most of the kids stay for the after-school program and teachers are gone by the time they are picked up). There was no school on Friday and the party was on Saturday. We felt horrible for the poor child and a bit ticked at the parent (as well as the parents who know to check for papers when they p/u their kids!)

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2010

You are on vacation. I wouldn't answer the email. Not your responsibility.

5. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Apr 5, 2010

That's exactly how I feel! I knew my teacher friends would understand! :)

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 5, 2010

I would suggest making a note in your newsletter at the beginning of the school year that parents are responsible for handing out birthday invitations. I don't touch them when my students bring them in and they are not allowed to pass them out during school hours (as the whole class is never invited and feelings will get hurt).

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2010

Oh, I would most defiitely reply.

She has no basis for complaint that you didn't get the invitations out. But choosing not to answer an email gives her grounds. I would answer ASAP with an explanation as to why the invites didn't get out.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2010

I would only halfway agree with Alice. Answer your email...after you return from vacation. If you were out of town for vacation you probably would not even access email while you were on your trip. Why should you be expected to be on duty as a teacher 24/7?

9. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Apr 5, 2010

It really aggrevates me when parents do that. They expect you to be their "secretary". I always tell my parents in a polite way to put them in their take home folders so I don't have any responsibility if something happens.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2010

We also have a school wide policy that if birthday invitations come to school, every child in the class has to receive one.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2010

Answer the email. Explain how you distributed the invites...I think I'd even say that you were soooo surprised to see the stack of invites unexpectedly on your desk without any further communication with the parent but luckily you DID see them and distribute them. I'd even cc the principal.

Most schools don't allow parents to use classrooms as 'post offices' for such invitations...bottom line, I'd be ticked that a parent 'left something' for me to do on my desk.

12. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 6, 2010

At the beginning of the school year, the parents receive a class roster with phone numbers and addresses. If they choose to save a stamp and not mail their invitations, they must hand them out at pick up or drop off. I don't get involved. It's not my job or my responsibility. We have enough to do!!!

13. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Apr 6, 2010

Thank you everyone for your ideas for next year, I am planning to incorporate them! I agree, we DO have enough to do and my classroom is not a post office...loved that one!! :lol:

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting...so glad to see that others felt the same way.