Just a little vent.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by amochoa, Jan 7, 2010.

1. amochoa

amochoa Rookie

Jan 7, 2010

I teach a morning preschool class on Thursday & Friday. The other teacher I work with has a morning and afternoon class on Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday.

For Christmas, I got my boyfriend tickets to his favorite band. The concert is next week on Thursday. However, when I bought the tickets I thought it was a Friday. I would have no problem working on Friday except that the concert is 3 and 1/2 hours away. I asked the other teacher if she would sub for me. But of course, she said no.

Now, normally this wouldn't upset me, it was my fault in the first place, but I've subbed for her about seven times. Most of it, I had subbed for her five days in a row. Since she only works Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, she hadn't been there for TWO weeks.

I told my principal the situation and asked if there was anyway someone else could come and sub. She called and called but no one would accept. Finally, when I got home she called me back and said she found someone.

It just makes me wonder about some people. I don't want to do her favors now because of this. I probably will though because I'm the type of person that can't say no.

---------------------------
    “Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

3. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Jan 7, 2010

amochoa, when I read your post I totaly felt it. I am the same way. I say yes when I want to say no because I want to help other people out of a jam. I have learned only to say yes because I want to and not to expect people to reciprocate kindness later on because some people will not. Her loss. Now when she ask you to sub you should not feel pressured to say "yes".

Kill em' with kindness and thank the person who did sub for you so that they know they are appreciated. Hopefully if you build equity with them you will not have to ask her ever again.

4. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Jan 7, 2010

And that is exactly why I don't do favors!!!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2010

Wow, she doesn't play nicely with others and she's allowed to teach preschool???

I sense she'll have some regrets the next time you're too busy to sub for her.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 7, 2010

I'm sorry you have to work with somebody so selfish. I'm glad though, that your director finally found somebody so you can enjoy the concert.

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jan 9, 2010

What happens when you are sick? Does the director have to call around all morning trying to find someone?

When I was young I also had a problem saying no. However, once I became a Mom I learned how to say "No" with no explanations.

No. End of conversation.

8. amochoa

amochoa Rookie

Jan 9, 2010

Luckily, I haven't had to call in sick yet. I'm sure she would say no and my principal would have to do this.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jan 11, 2010

so the next couple of times she wnats youto sub say sorry, but you can't. Maybe next time. Should get the messege across

10. casey

casey Rookie

Jan 16, 2010

I'm wondering if anyone gave a reason they couldn't cover for you? I work in a preschool where the teacher have a schedule similar to what you describe. However, most of them have other jobs when they are not at our site. Maybe she really could not sub for you.
    Just wondering.

11. amochoa

amochoa Rookie

Jan 17, 2010

She said she couldn't sub because her family was going shopping an hour away for the weekend and they were leaving early. Even though her kids had school. She doesn't have another job or anything. Her husband supports her completely and her school salary is just spending cash. The day before I left she said she could all of a sudden sub. Our principal wouldn't give her an advance of her check to go shopping with so she wanted the sub pay. However, I had already found another sub and told her sorry.

12. casey

casey Rookie

Jan 18, 2010

Oh, well I can see why you'd be upset at that.

13. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 19, 2010

I had a situation like this when I worked in a daycare. One worker was always coming in late and trying to leave early. We had extremely bad management and she got away with it and I was always taking on her responsibilities. From my experiences, I can say people like that are selfish and spiteful. If she asks you to sub for her again, do it. Simply because you don't want her to throw to your face "Oh, I couldn't sub for you and now you won't sub for me". (Because I'm sure someone like her will forget all the times you did). Then, if she askes you after that time just say, "I would love to, but I already have a doctor's appointment,ect (whatever excuse). Maybe next time," and walk away.