Just a little nervous

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by ms yolanda, Sep 6, 2004.

1. ms yolanda

ms yolanda Rookie

Sep 6, 2004

Hi, I am new to this forum but am looking forward to making new friends.
    I have 5yr old twin boys, I have been teaching 2yr olds in sunday school for 2yrs now. I substituted last year at the preschool my boys went to. The director called me a couple of weeks ago to see if I would be interested in teaching a 2yr old class on Tues. & Thurs. I start tomorrow and while I am excited I am also a little nervous. My class consist of 8 children, ranging from 24-34 months. Does anyone have any tips or tricks of the trade?

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 8, 2004

How did your first day go? It sounds like you already have good experience w/ 2 year olds, so I'm sure you did fine. :) Better than I would have... I can handle 5-6 year olds, but never have been in charge of a group of 2-3 year olds. I bet it keeps you on your toes.

4. itsjustme

itsjustme Rookie

Sep 8, 2004

I work with 10 three year olds and I know how crazy they can be. Next door to my room are the 2 year olds. I would like to work with that age but I could NEVER work with another teacher (that room normally has 2 teachers in it, it doesn't right now though) I think that age is the cutest. I have had to potty train an entire group on my own before and it was awfull, but I did it. And then you have the parents who can barely handle the one at home! You do have to be on your toes!

5. ms yolanda

ms yolanda Rookie

Sep 9, 2004

You are so right. I think the 2's is a wonderful age they can learn so much during this year. My 1st day wasn't so bad. Out of 8 children I only had 3 that cried when their parents left. One stopped shortly after. The other 2 took about 30 minutes to get them completely stopped. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think that was bad. Any way I still enjoyed it and I am looking forward to a new day tomorrow. P.S. How long have you been scrapbooking?

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 9, 2004

That's not bad at all! Kindergartners sometimes cry longer than that. ;)

7. ms yolanda

ms yolanda Rookie

Sep 9, 2004

Well, I think it went pretty well. Out of 8 children only 3 of them cried and 1 stopped almost immediately. The other 2 took about another 30-45 minutes to stop completely. I hadn't planned on trying to do very much with them the 1st couple of days while we got acquainted but, I learned real quick that I need to have more activities planned for them. This is a very busy little group. They are so sweet and they like to hear stories. That is always a PLUS. Thanks for asking. I am ready to take on my 2nd day.

8. ms yolanda

ms yolanda Rookie

Sep 9, 2004

Wow!!! I Had A Great Day. This Was Only The 2nd Day And It Only Took 15minutes To Have Everyone Calm And Playing. We Colored, We Played With Play Doh And Even Learned A New Way To Line Up. I Read This Idea In A Book Called "transitions" . You Teach The Children To Line Up By Telling Them To "make" Or "be" Spagetti.
    Then They Put One Hand On The Shoulder Of The Child In Front Of Them. My 2 Yr Olds Loved It And Walked Althe Way Down The Hall To And From The Playground As "spagetti" Without Any Problems And They Loved It. I Can't Believe How Much Difference There Was In The 1st And 2nd Day Of School. I Hope Everyone Else Is Doing Well, Also.

9. Mrs. V

Mrs. V Rookie

Sep 12, 2004

I am interested in the Make or Be spagetti idea. Could you explain a little more. It is very hard for my students to line up and be quiet in the hallway. Thanks

10. ms. j

ms. j Guest

Sep 12, 2004

former 2 yr. old teacher

Hello, It sounds like you're doing great! One thing my 2 year olds loved was during circle time we read stories and I had a felt board with different cut out felt pictures of the story. For example Brown Bear Brown Bear, what do you see? I would read the page and call a child to put the animal on the felt board. They love this! The felt board is also great to go along with songs because the children can see and hold the color/number/letter, etc. It sounds as if you're all set but if you need any ideas for songs or books the 2 year olds love I'd be happy to share! Good luck!

11. ms yolanda

ms yolanda Rookie

Sep 19, 2004

Ms. V

Hi, I Am Sorry It Took Me So Long To Get Back To You. I Live In Alabama Where Hurricane Ivan Dropped By For An Unwelcomed Visit. We Had Little Damage. Our Neighbors Tree Fell On Our Chain Link And Privacy Fence. Other Than That We Were Very Fortunate. However, We Had To Evacuate On Tuesday, We Returned Home Friday Morning And Finally Got Power Friday Evening. So We Have All Been Cleaning Up All Weekend.
    Now About The Spagetti, It Is Very Simple. You Just Introduce It As A New Fun Idea And They Simply Line Up With Their Right Hand On Their Classmates Right Shoulder. If You Want To Add More Fun To It Just Lead Them Around The Room In Zig Zags Or Circles.
    If You Like This Let Me Know. I Have Others That I Haven't Had A Chance To Try Yet I Don't Know When We Will Start School Again. Good Luck!!!! Ms. Yolanda

12. ms yolanda

ms yolanda Rookie

Sep 19, 2004

Hi Ms J. Thanks For The Felt Friends Idea. I Will Have To Give It A Try When We Get Back To School After Hurricane Ivan. Thanks A Bunch. Ms. Yolanda

13. TinaAtherton

TinaAtherton Guest

Sep 20, 2004

Mrs. Tina

I have worked with may different ages of children. Here is my advice...
    Keep them BUSY!!! Sing songs (ABC's, Itsy Bitsy Spider, Ring Around the Rosey, etc.), Read books (anything simple.), Play ball (roll it, bouce it, toss it, etc), Just be funny!!!!!!! The main purpose is to entertain them, and to give a GREAT amount of positive feedback. If a "challenging" child sits for 30 seconds without hurting someone, say,"Timmy, I am so happy you are playing nicely!!!!" Some of these children NEVER hear anything positive ... give them any and all positive feedback that you can! And remember ... PLAY PLAY PLAY!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

14. ms yolanda

ms yolanda Rookie

Sep 20, 2004

Mrs. Tina, Thank You. Especially For Reminding Me Of The Little Things Like "positive Words Often" And "play, Play, Play" Although My Twins Are Only 5 (well Almost Six) I Had Already Forgotten That Just About Everything They Learned Was From Play. (ex. They Learned Their Colors From What Color Their Kool-aid Or Juice Was). Thanks Again For The Reminder. Ms. Yolanda

15. kingsworker

kingsworker Companion

Sep 21, 2004

A couple of neat ideas the early learning center at our school suggests are: fun, educational music playing in the background during play times, she uses a bell to signal clean up time (works great once they figure out what the bell means), uses songs to transition from one activity to another. For example she has a "clean up song", a "line up song", a "lunch song"....you get the picture. It's amazing what kids can remember when you put it in a song. A really cute thing she did this year is teach the kids their shapes by taping the shape on the floor in blue painters tape and having the whole class lay down to form the shape. Then she takes their picture and posts it on the wall. When they discussed family, she had parents bring in pictures of their families (mom, dad, brother, sister, grandparents, even pets) and put each family on a poster board and posted them around the room and let them tell their classmates who was in the pictures. Hope this helps! PS- in case you hadn't realized, disposable gloves are your new best friend when it comes diaper changing time (freezer paper or paper from a doctors office comes in handy, too, on changing tables), and don't forget the hand sanitizer!!! :)

16. ms yolanda

ms yolanda Rookie

Sep 21, 2004

Ms. Kingsworker, Thanks for all the tips. I especially like the shapes idea.
    Ms. Yolanda