Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2009

How do you guys feel about JD? Love it or hate it? What kind of cases have you been on, any unique experiences?

I've always found it interesting & so doing JD has never bothered me. I usually hope they pick me (unless I'm on my summer vacation :D).

I was an alt juror several yrs ago on a car accident case. That lasted about a week.

BUT, in spring of '07, I was on a 2 month car accident case where someone died, unfortunately. However, those were the BEST 2 mos of my life. I was a 1st yr special ed teacher at the time & knew they wouldn't be hiring me back. I reported to JD a couple days after we returned to work from spring break & was chosen. The courthouse is about 7 min away from my house. I got to talk to new people & a few jurors who I went to lunch w/ just about daily. When the case was over, school was out in a few days & I was free to enjoy my summer!

That situation may not happen ever again, but it was fabulous while it lasted.
    I may get the chance to be a juror again in May.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I've always been OK with it. Aside from the whole civic-responsibility thing, I think it's interesting.

The last case I got interviewed for involved a fight outside a bar, where someone was cut with a broken bottle. Surprisingly, I wasn't chosen, but a surgeon and a police sargeant both were.

Another time, I thankfully was not chosen. It was child abuse where the child eventually died. That one would have stayed with me a long long time.

One of my sisters was once on a case that made national headlnes. The brutality involved kept her up at night for months.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I got called a few years ago and was able to postpone until summer (I hate being out of the classroom although the school is required to allow teachers to do jury duty, I just can't stand writing sub plans for what could end up being an indeterminate amount of time)...Anyhow...teachers do not get paid for their jury duty...not that the $10 per day is a big deal but seriously, time is $$$.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2009

Wow, I got paid my FULL teacher salary when I was out & for me (as long as I had JD during the 11 mos out of the yr since that's how I had my paydays set up), writing lesson plans for the sub was a snap.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I would still get my 'teacher paycheck' if I went in the school year for jury duty...you just don't get paid by the court system the big $10 that everyone else gets because you are already a public employee.

It's not that writing sub plans is HARD, I just hate it. (See the thread on what teachers and subs wish each other 'new' (SIC)...I would just rather be teaching.)

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

I am happy to do my civic duty -- however, in our city they draw way too many names for each cycle. So there are 200 people sitting in a waiting room, and usually after about an hour, they tell you to go home and come back next week on the same day of the week. You have to do that for 4 weeks, unless you are actually called. I only got called once, and even then, there were 60 of us, and they selected 5 for the jury (evidently, there are different numbers on different kinds of juries.) I know why I wasn't selected. I knew what a "physiatrist" was -- and that was the reason I was dismissed with cause by the prosecution. They called me up privately to ask for the definition, and I told it to the judge. The prosecutor then asked if I had ever used a physiatrist, and I answered truthfully, yes. Evidently, they didn't want anyone on the jury who had a physiatrist.

However, since I actually made it into the courtroom that day, I'm not eligible to be selected for jury duty again for another 4 years. I'm kind of glad. I wouldn't mind serving, but I've gone 3 previous times (and that's 4 days in a month -- so 12 days) and that was the only time I was even called out of the waiting room.

8. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 15, 2009

I was JUST summoned for jury duty in March and I am at a loss as to what to do. Personally, I hate it. My job will not pay me anything for going, and I will lose a lot of money over this. Not to mention that we do not have substitutes at all, so I will be leaving my assistant with all of our children by herself for however long I am out. I would LOVE to write a letter and postpone, and I probably would be given a postponement. The problem is, my summer job is also one where there are no substitutes and no pay for me. So either way I am screwed. I'm sure this happens to many people, and it's not fair. They at least need to find a way to make it so that you do not lose money by going to something that you have no choice over. Losing the time and screwing over the people you work with is bad enough, but in these economic times, who can afford to take time off of work??

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2009

I've never been called (oddly enough). Several of my co-workers have been called to report, but none have ever been chosen to sit on a case--they don't tend to pick teachers very often.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 15, 2009

I have been called twice and postponed once. The first time I got up to the point where they interviewed everyone. I guess they didn't like my answers so I wasn't picked. The 2nd time we just sat there until our name was drawn. Mine wasn't picked so I got to go home. They will probably call me again in 2 years or so.

11. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Feb 15, 2009

I have been called once, it was in the summer and I didn't get picked to be on the jury. I guess I need to find out if I'd still get paid for that if I were picked during the school year because I couldn't swing it financially if I didn't get my regular teacher pay. I think I'd love the break from the classroom, but writing sub plans would not be fun!

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 15, 2009

I have been called two times; the first time the case was settled out of court, and the second time I was not seated after one side found out that I am a member of the Michigan Bar.

Both times my students were excited to hear about my experiences.

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2009

I served this past summer- the first two weeks that our building was open. It WAS NERVE-WRACKING! It was a room full of teachers who wanted to go work in their classrooms. I was on one trial where we listened all day to a thug proclaim his innocence- only for him to plead guilty at 3:00. BLECH!!

I did get paid, since it was the summer time. I think it was $60.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Feb 16, 2009

I got called a few times once when I was 16! I got out of that one with no problem.
    I went a few years ago and it wasn't bad, just kinda boring. I missed our 100th day of school!

15. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2009

Today I was suppose to have Jury Duty actually. :haha: We have a right to send in an appeal if we can't serve duty. In my case, I am home with my kids during the day without childcare. Plus, today my oldest happens to be home from school sick. They approved the appeal.

For me it would have been a huge mess for me to have to find someone to care for them if I had to go, especially since it would have been a two-week span. If that would not have been an issue though, I think it would have been interesting and I would not mind serving on a jury.

ETA: I should also add that our county only pays $25 a day, and that is if it's ALL day. Only $15 for a half day. Considering my husband would have to take off work (where he makes $17 an hour) to watch the kids, then I would also have to be out of work (which is $15 an hour) because the time would have overlapped with the beginning of my shift (4pm)...I would be losing out on some SERIOUS cash from our income.:eek:

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 17, 2009

Well, I'm glad some people actually don't mind it!

17. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 17, 2009

I want JD!!! I've only been requested once, but it was for the day after my wedding and we were leaving on the honeymoon. That was 12 years ago. I've never been requested since. :( My mom gets it all the time!! I wonder if I can call and find out why I am never chosen. I just think it would be really interesting.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 17, 2009

Well, I must say you're as enthusiastic about it as I am! I have a chance to be picked as a juror again in May & I hope I get it. You can really learn a lot & it's so interesting.

When I was a juror last time, I pictured myself as a lawyer stating my case & having all eyes in the courtroom on me! :D

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 17, 2009

I've been called several times but dismissed by the prosecuters every time. I even asked a lawyer friend once why that happened, and she told me that as soon as I stated my occupation as "college professor" (I taught at a community college for 5 years before becoming a middle school teacher, and I still work for the college, though in a different department), and then said I teach mathematics, they find any reason they can to ditch me. I guess they don't like mathematicians. :dunno:

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 17, 2009

Yeah, I wish I knew exactly why certain professions are favored or not favored among the lawyers.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 17, 2009

I suppose with the mathematicians, it's the way we tend to approach a problem. We're looking for dry, unemotional logic. Many cases rely on emotion to a certain extent, and the prosecutors (or the defense) want the jury to be swayed by the emotions of the crime, even if all of the evidence doesn't exactly line up. I know personally, even faced with with a gut wrenching problem, I'll always take a step back and follow the "evidence" from an unemotional, logical prespective. My family says I go into "problem solving" mode. It really torques my mom, especially when dealing with some issue with one of the foster kids.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 17, 2009

Never been called, but I would love to. Our high school ss teacher took us to court one day to watch a trial. It was a medical malpractice suit over a hernia screen. I don't think many of us ate lunch afterwards.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 17, 2009

:lol: Not to hijack the thread, but imagine how we felt when the 9th grade bio teacher took us to view an autopsy.

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 17, 2009

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A HUMAN autopsy??????

Our same ss teacher took us to the funeral home the Friday before prom to scare us, and we had to watch a sad memorial video of a local man, but thankfully we did NOT have to see any bodies, let alone open bodies!!!!!

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 17, 2009

I thought it was really cool...if a little gross :D. It was a routine autopsy on a middle aged man who died of sudden cardiac arrest. I don't think they'd have let us observe anything more "exciting". I've actually observed several others, as forensic pathology is a morbid interest of mine.

26. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 18, 2009

A person close to me just finished serving jury duty in my state. It was for the murder of a cop. While they couldn't talk about anything about the case it was a very stressful portion of their life.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 18, 2009

Is it true that after serving as a juror, they (the lawyers) could still try to contact you or even bring you back to the courthouse for something? I kinow it's highly unlikely, but I think a fellow juror of mine said they were called back by the lawyer to answer questions or something.

The lawyer of the 2 month case I was on was trying to reach us jurors wks/mos later to ask questions. He tried to call me, but I wanted nothing to do w/ it. He showed up unexpectedly at at one of my feloow juror's house! :eek: That's bordering harassment!

28. piggy2009

piggy2009 Rookie

Feb 21, 2009

whenever i received a letter for JD, i hate it. it's a waste of time and they don't pay much ($15/day). i really hope that i don't get pick. but unfortunately, i got picked during last time. it was about a property line -- who does it belong to? this case was very boring and it even lasted for a whole week. and now i pray i never going to get another letter again.