Jury duty

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by swansong1, Sep 19, 2010.

1. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2010

Several of my friends and colleagues have been called for jury duty recently and many of them are saying that this is a pretty regular occurrence for them. I have been an adult for many decades but have never been called for jury duty. I really would like to try the experience. How often have any of you been called?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I've never been called. My husband has been called twice but wasn't selected either time.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I've been called twice in the last ten years. Only once before that.

Swan-do you have a drivers' license? Do you vote? I'm not sure, but some areas use 'public records' such as license and voting registries as sources for jury pools.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

When I lived in my hometown I was called once in the 8 years after I turned 18, and was chosen. I have lived in my current city for only 4 years and have been called twice in less than a year. The first time I exempted myself since I had to look after my daughter. The 2nd time is coming up next month.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 19, 2010

7. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

In the past 5 years I have been called three times. The last time I was chosen. The trial lasted 2 days.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2010

I've been called a couple of times. Every time I was called, I got to the point of being questioned by the lawyers. I was dismissed at the point where my profession was disclosed. Apparently, lawyers don't like mathematicians.

I went a LONG time without being called. During that time, my sister, who lived in CA, got called in Miami Dade county 14 times. Each time, we mailed the summons in with a letter explaining that she was no longer living in Florida. It got to the point where she was cited for failure to show. That was a mess. She had to fly in with proof that she had established residency in another state. She was madder than a hornet's nest.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2010

I've been called 7 times in the last 11 years. I've never had to serve.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2010

I get called every couple of years, but I've never made it out of the waiting room. They always call a ton more people than they need. It's not so bad now that they have wi-fi and I can take my laptop and get some work done.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 19, 2010

I've had a driver's license since 1986, and I haven't missed voting in a single election since 1988. Yet I wasn't called until 2001 and again in 2007. The first time I was released from duty due to an illness. I'd just had surgery a few days before I had to appear. The second time I was released because both of my parents were ill, and I was having to work full time and help with them as well.

Mom was called one, and she enjoyed it. I don't think Dad was ever called, and DH has never been called either.

Several of my co-workers have been called recently. Now they tend to call more frequently for less time. It used to be much longer periods. I actually told them that I'd serve in the summer.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 19, 2010

I've been called 3 times. One time the principal wrote a letter for me stating that I couldn't go because of state testing that week. The other 2 times that I went in, I got to leave after a few hours.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2010

I've had a license and have voted since I was 18. Just never been called.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 19, 2010

I'm 28 and I was called last year. I had to go in one day, but I wasn't selected to be on the jury (I wasn't even called up for questioning). THANK GOD, because I know someone who was selected, and I guess the case was an ugly one involving a 4-year-old who was allegedly molested by a family member.

15. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2010

I've never been called in my life. I'm 39. I've always thought it could be interesting, too.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I've gotten it a number of times, most recently 4 years ago. (That probably means I'm due again sometime soon.)

I've never been chosen for a jury, though I've been questioned a few times. Probably a combination of teacher, mom, and sister-in-law of a lawyer.