Jury Duty Postponement

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Evergreen, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Aug 3, 2016

Hi all,

I'm beginning my first year as the lead teacher (1st grade) and I just got my first jury duty summons (county) for the 2nd and 3rd days of school. Has anyone had any experience receiving postponement of jury duty for a similar reason? Or been denied? What language did you use when requesting postponement?

Experience in NJ would be especially helpful.

I'm feeling very worried, but I am hoping it's not that hard to postpone? :(

I appreciate all responses.

3. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Aug 3, 2016

I'm not from NJ, but I have postponed jury duty before. You just request for postponement and get a letter months later for jury duty. When I postponed I don't think I ever even got a new assignment.

4. evesmeow

evesmeow Rookie

Aug 3, 2016

I teach in NJ and have postponed jury duty. The county sent a new assignment right at the beginning of summer vacation. I'm due to go in 2 weeks. Blech.

To answer your question, you can ask for a postponement. Explain in your request you are the lead teacher and your absence would be detrimental to students' transition into the new school year.

See below for the letter I sent asking to postpone my jury duty assignment. I took out any specific identity information for privacy reasons. :)

Dear Sir or Madam,
    I am honored by the privilege to serve our justice system, but need to postpone my petit juror duty to a later date.

I am currently employed by the Name of Town Board of Education as a Fill in Subject Matter teacher in a 5th grade inclusion classroom. My absence from the classroom would be a significant disruption to the students’ progress (both academic and behavioral). Additionally, parent conferences are scheduled the week of my summons. As an integral member of the teaching team, I must be present during these conferences to thoroughly advise parents of their child’s development.

I hope you understand my position and will postpone my service to the summer months (mid-July to August) when school is not in session. If there are any questions, please contact me at phone number or via email, email address.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Hope this helps!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2016

I had a summons for the first day of school. It's been so long ago that I don't remember the exact words I used but pointed out how vital it is that the school year start with my expectations. I was excused. I got my second notice for the week of Valentine's Day. The poor sub had to be there on a party day.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2016

I was called to jury duty on the first day of school my second year of teaching. I wrote a letter explaining the situation, and they changed my date to later in the fall... Then I got selected and was out a total of six days before it was settled out of court. Talk about stressful. I had to go in to school nearly every night to get ready for a sub because I never knew how long I'd be out. My principal was supportive because she knew it was out of my control. It was a very interesting experience but not one I want to repeat. Apparently lawyers like having teachers on juries.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 7, 2016

That sucks. I wouldn't mind at all, to be on a jury in the summer. I mean... I'd mind it in that it is taking away from my Break. But I'd prefer it, just so I wouldn't have to do what you had to do.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2016

Here is the letter I wrote to postpone my duty (forgot to include it with my post earlier):

To Whom It May Concern:

Please consider this my request to be excused from jury duty on [date]. I am a third grade teacher at [school] in [city], and this particular day happens to be the first day of school for the students. It is critical that I am present at school this day in order to establish the routines and procedures that will create a successful classroom for the remainder of the school year. I would be happy to serve my civic duty another day, but [date] happens to be a day in which I am needed at school. Thank you for considering my request to be excused from service.

Sincerely,
    [name]

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 7, 2016

You had to write letters? Wow, I only had to click a few buttons on my county website and select a new start date.

10. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Aug 7, 2016

Yeah, here you can either call or just fill out a form with an alternate date in a certain time frame. A lot of the time if you call they will just excuse you completely until the next year, I have heard. I don't do that because I feel like jury duty is really important, but I did postpone it last year when my original date was the week before state testing.

11. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Aug 8, 2016

Thank you everyone for the responses - it is helpful to hear these experiences and the language you used. I called and they said I should be able to postpone if I request a date they can accommodate, but that I needed to fill out the online form.

The online form only had room for like two sentences to answer for what reason I'd like to postpone and to put in new dates (!!!), so I said, "Original dates are 2nd/3rd days of school. As a new teacher of young children, I must provide consistency in the first month. Can I please reschedule to spring break - Apr...?"

I'm hoping that is sufficient! I also hope they let me know soon so I can stop worrying about it.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 8, 2016

Good luck! I know I always seem to get a summons at the worst time. I postponed once or twice then HAD to report during state testing. I got to the courthouse and told the judge the situation and he let me go, thank goodness. It really is hard for teachers to take time out of the school year for this.

Evergreen likes this.
  13. Evergreen

Evergreen Rookie

Aug 11, 2016

Update: Got postponed until spring break. Phew! *Wipes brow* Thanks again for the support.

catnfiddle likes this.
  14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 11, 2016

Hopefully it won't waste your whole break!!

Evergreen likes this.