Jumping Grades

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissMae, Aug 31, 2013.

1. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Aug 31, 2013

What is it like to jump from elem grades to middle school, or from middle school to HS? Is it very difficult? Or just different?

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 31, 2013

Just different. I have gone from 2nd/3rd to 6th and now 7th. They are strangely similar in many ways. You still need routines and procedures, still need to build relationships, etc.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2013

I've taught every grade from 7-12 except, somehow, 8th.

A few years ago, I stopped teaching my 7th graders for 6 weeks to cover a Precalc maternity leave (we simply could NOT find a qualified precalc teacher; it was MUCH easier finding someone who could cover 7th grade for 6 weeks.)

In the beginning of your career, it's probably a lot more difficult than once you're more settled into what you're doing. After a while, it becomes just a matter of adjusting your teaching persona to a different age group.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2013

I really think it depends on the teacher's personality and personal preferences - what they enjoy most about teaching. I am teaching HS this year after years of teaching 6th, 7th and 8th grade and I prefer it. But, a co-worker of mine who also made the jump to HS this year is NOT feeling it at all. I think her personality fits more with younger children and teaching 16-, 17- and 18-year olds and their attitudes does not seem to be her thing. Likewise, my school's MS team has a few new people who have made the switch from Elem to MS this year and they also have mixed reactions so far.

6. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Aug 31, 2013

Ok. Good info. My program will be rotating us from 1-3, 4-6, and then 7-8. So we get to experience them all. How similar or dissimilar is MS from HS?