July 21 CSET

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by jd123, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I noticed it says on the cset website the testing year is over... does it begin again in September ?

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

Yes. The testing year more or less follows the academic calendar. The new dates should be posted on the Web site - and there should be a slight fee decrease, as well as some decrease in the time it takes to get results.

A general note: Anyone who took CSET yesterday and suspects it will be necessary to retake it would do well to hold off till the test results come out - the late fee is automatically waived for retakers.

3. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 22, 2007

OH, hee hee. I guess the way I wrote that out made it look like I thought I bombed it. I'm just an extremely cautious person. But thank you so much for the information. You are such a well informed person.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

Jarenko, that's why I labeled that "a general note" - it wasn't intended specifically for YOUR consumption, but this is a question that comes up with some frequency, and your post reminded me that it was time to mention it.

5. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I see. I did not mean to be presumptious. I apologize.

6. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

FASTER test results? Too bad that doesn't apply to those of us who just took the test.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

(gently) Peace, sir knight. No offense taken.

8. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Longbowmrs-

You spent eight hours in testing yesterday? Wow!

I thought about you driving home yesterday- somehow my addled brain thought you were taking all three subtests plus a writing portion within the five hours of testing time. I kept thinking there was no way I could have done that. It took me all five hours to do the three subtests and I didn't even revisit my work on the CR.

Enjoy Vancouver!

:)

9. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Just to clarify, the late fee is waived if you are taking another subtest. It can be the same one or a different one. The reasoning is that the test taker does not know whether to sign up for the same subtest or to register for the next one (any order, of course). It can be any CSET test--the late fee is waived if you were registered for the previous test date. So, all Sept. 15th test takers can register late without a penalty if they also took a CSET on July 22.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

I wouldn't, however, recommend that people make a practice of signing up late for subtests they haven't taken before: if such a loophole is abused, testing companies are unlikely to hesitate in deciding to slam that loophole shut.

11. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

I don't see it as a loophole at all. If you pass the test you just took, of course you will want to register for a different one, not the same one. And, you will need your test results to know whether or not you passed.

I would say to prevent "abusing the system," do this: register when you get your results and before the deadline (if you can do so financially.) In other words, IF you get your test results ON TIME and are taking another CSET, do so within the regular deadline. Don't think, "well, I can be late without a penalty, so I will be." That is, unless you have a hardship where waiting another couple of weeks for the next pay period or whatever means registering late. In that case, hey, you have the free pass, so take advantage of it. (But don't if you don't need to. I hope that makes sense.)

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

Makes sense to me.

And people tend to study differently once they've actually signed up and ponied up...

13. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

By the way, I love Trader Joe's. Ours is new and features a free taste of something. Last time they had easy to make cheese balls which Allegra (my 12 year old) loved, so we bought flour for a buck, Parmesan cheese and cheese sticks, and she makes them herself at home. What's your favorite stuff from there? Sorry you have to lay off the booze for awhile, TG.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

The tastes of something at Trader Joe's don't stop happening when the TJ's stops being new - there was barbecued-chicken salad and ginger ale yesterday at the local one.

What's this about me and booze??

15. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

How soon we forget...

16. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Oh, I read the wrong tense. So you are drinking again. Well, you know what I mean. I know you're no drunkard and Drink Responsibly.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

In which we experience firsthand the value of mathematics:
    All right, class: the glass in question is a cylinder 7 cm in diameter that was filled to a depth of 4 cm. If 1 cu cm = 1 ml and if the Moscato in question is 10% alcohol by volume, how many ml of pure alcohol constituted TeacherGroupie's ostensibly massive bender?

18. jazzminjoy

jazzminjoy Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

Ha ha. Me thinks you are protesting too much, TG. The real question, class, is how many times did TG refill her cylinder if she drank at a steady pace of 4 cylinders every 45 minutes for 2 hours or until the 375 milliliters wine bottle she was drinking from became empty (assume no spills or sharing). (1.00 liter = 33.8 Fl. Oz.)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

Crikey: with my capacity, I would've been under the table after the first half-hour. (The bad thing about having next to no capacity is that I can't keep up with the big kids. The good thing is that I'm a really inexpensive date.)

In point of fact, the glass was filled once and emptied once, and only because I'd promised to hoist one.

20. beavis

beavis Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Volume of cylinder = Pi*R^2*Height

= 3.1415926* (3.5*3.5)*4

= approx 154 cu3 or mls

10% of 154 mls is 15.4 mls

TG consumed 15.4 mls of EtOH

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

Very good, beavis.

In other words, just over a tablespoon.

(Hic!)

22. Longbowmrs

Longbowmrs Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Kippers,

There would be NO way that I would be able to finished all 3 plus the writing portion in 5 hours. I had a VERY rough and LONG day. Started out at 3:50am and didn't get home until 7:00 pm!!!

And as I was reading my last post, I confused subtest II and II, I took III first and then II. I knew that the science and math portion would be harder and I would need more time.

Question, for anyone that knows...on the written portion, if they ask you to write a persuasive essay or anything about "your" own thoughts and views, is it wrong to write something about politics? For example, if you wrote what your political standpoint and opinions are and the marker didn't agree, would he/she mark you low?

23. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 24, 2007

Longbowmrs-

TeacherGroupie would know the answer on this one but as I understand it, as long as you take a stand, support it and fulfil the requirements of the essay, the graders don't care what your stand is. They are looking at meeting the requirements of the assignment. I would imagine anything blatantly inappropriate, illegal or racist might bring you down, but other than that, they're looking for basic criteria to be met.

What a day you had! I can't imagine starting before 4 A.M.!

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

As far as I've been able to determine, the scorers are a good deal less interested in writers' ideology than they are in the writers' ability to state a thesis properly and defend it with a structured argument and a reasonable range of evidence, all garnished with signs of competence in the mechanics of formal written English.

But your story illustrates one of the reasons I'm still recommending CBEST rather than CSET-Writing. (The other is that CSET-Writing doesn't count for the basic-skills requirement that substitute teachers must satisfy till after one has completed the rest of CSET-MS.)

I'm tickled to hear, though, that CSET-Writing results are coming back promptly.

25. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah! At least something relating to this forsaken test is coming back promptly. My day last Saturday started at 2:00 am. Just woke up! Couldn't sleep! I had so much swirling around in my head that I literally couldn't turn my brain off. It was awful. By the time I finished the exam I was done, toast. No more. Did anyone find anything that surprised them about the CSET? Yes, I know please don't state acutal questions. For me during the test, I wasn't kicking myself as hard as I have in the past exams over the questions. I took Subtest II for the 5th time and last I hope! What I've done in the past was hand in the exam and go home and cry, because I was so defeated. But this time was different! Yes, there was some math and science questions that I guessed at. But overall, it was not as bad. And the CR's I actuall felt pretty good about those. Does anyone have any feedback?

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2007

Sounds very promising, jennegirl...

27. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 25, 2007

Jennegirl--I didn't feel too horrible after subtest II this weekend. I felt like I knew most of the stuff, but I had the same feeling on many of the sample questions and later found out that I was wrong, so my instincts aren't always spot-on there. But I did read the questions much more slowly and carefully in the test than I had with the samples.

I do think that one thing that helps is the atmosphere in the testing room. You know that the only thing you have to do right then is take the test. At home, studying, there are always time crunches, phones, noise outside, noise inside....although, after a while, listening to your fellow test-takers stomachs growling gets distracting.:lol:

I felt good about most of the CR questions. I had no clue about the answer to one of them dealing with chemistry...totally guessed and BS'd but when I googled the question later, I found out that I wasn't completely off, so I may get some points for that.

Best of luck to you!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2007

jen12, if you weren't "completely off", you should indeed get some points.

Breathe, please... And you could also practice chemistry up close and personal, in the form of eating some nice chocolate or whatever else works for you equivalently.