July 21 CSET

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by jd123, Jul 2, 2007.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

So... have we recovered from the last CSET? Who's taking it
    July 21st - just a few short weeks from now? I still have to take subset II.
    Have a happy and safe Fourth of July!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

And just think of all the fun science and math that July 4 presents us with!

Take fireworks. The colors come from the substances in the fireworks: that bright white is magnesium, the blue-green is copper, and so on; and it turns out that the flame test - burning something to see what color it burns - is a classic tool of chemical analysis.

See http://www.answers.com/topic/pyrotechnics?cat=technology for some notes on fireworks technology and colors.

4. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

My son went to a birthday party a while ago. They had a guy from Mad Science doing his thing. I paid attentions to those very things you mentioned above, TG.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Very good! Now try your hand at noticing science in your everyday life...

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 2, 2007

I'll be there on the 21st doing Subtest II. I'm getting discouraged. I haven't done too well with the practice tests. I've always had a mental block against math. I'd hoped to outgrow it, but no...I still have the same childish aversion!

I'll just keep plugging away!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Whereabouts in California are you located, jen12?

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 3, 2007

I'm in Orange County.

9. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

Jen 12, I am also located in OC taking subtest II at the University of Phoenix. Where are you taking it?

10. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

I had a very hard time with math, but I just kept studying and asking questions here and I ended up passing. Just keep at it. I wish you nothing but the best. Good Luck!:D

11. urbancoastoffrd

urbancoastoffrd Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

CSET subtest II is the final one for me--and I am in a love-hate relationship with the science part. I truly don't remember learning this stuff when I was in grade school but it is somewhat exciting--I know I'd have even more appreciation for it if there wasn't a time crunch for learning it.
    My biggest struggles are with the earth and so forth.
    But, I have slowly started going through a really interesting website that includes most of the topics we need to know, as well as a math section. Whether they are up to 8th grade levels I don't know, but it is very easy to understand and most of the info from my books and other resources have been on it.
    <www.geography4kids.com> they have cosmos4kids, biology4kids, etcetc... I highly recommend checking them out if you are still getting confused.
    otherwise, if you ever bought charlie brown's dictionary's [funk and wagnalls ed], which my mom did when I was little---they are a gold mine. I was looking at the pictures with my niece and was shocked by how much content there was in them. While it wasn't as invigorating as Ms Frazzle's science lessons, it really helps you learn the information.
    For those struggling with math...
    numbernut (offered by the same website as those listed above) is really helpful. otherwise, i've gone onto google and just looked up 8th grade class pages and many teachers have quizzes and even lessons up for their students and others to look through...they are really helpful.

Finally on to my question--kind of in the wrong place, but teachergroupie---you know an excessive amount of information about everything I'd like to believe...is there anything you can tell me about the TFE (apparently also called the Praxis III)? I got into an Early Completion Option for my credential program, and I have already registered to take that <before I even know what it is--go figure> because it is a "pre-req" for the program. I am multiple subjects, and all I've heard so far is there is 50 m/c and 4 somewhat long answers involving CA content standards. Someone told me that you have to lesson plan the standard and answer questions involving certain situations--such as you have 20 students, 2 are ESL, 2 are ADD, 10 are 3rd grade 10 2nd.
    Besides being unbelievably overwhelmed...I am so confused! And I feel beyond unprepared for it. Most people take it AFTER their teacher prep program, not before...so I guess I just like to make things difficult. [Considering I am not an educational degree graduate! But I know, that doesn't mean I am any less qualified or enthusiastic!]
    Sorry if this is a long question--if you have ever heard of it or know a forum that discusses it---I would really appreciate the help!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!
    best of luck to all!!!

12. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 6, 2007

jennegirl, I'll be there too!

13. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

Wow, I still have those Charlie Brown encyclopedias somewhere in my house.

14. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 7, 2007

Hi

I'm new to this site. I'm also taking the July 21 CSET- all three sections of the multiple subjects. I've been out of school for years and am feeling pretty overwhelmed.

My big concern now is science and math. I'm pretty much living at the library. I'm using the Kaplan and Boosalis books as guides.

I took the CBEST in June and passed according to unofficial scores.

15. jennegirl

jennegirl Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

Kippers,
    As anyone of us will tell you the CBEST and the CSET are vastly different. However, it sounds as if you are preparing yourself. Don't worry that you've been out of school of a while, look through the threads on this site as there are many of us who have passed and have been out of school for a while. I have passed subtest I and III and am working on subtest II.
    My suggestion is if you have any questions post them there are a lot of savy people who are here to help especially teacher groupie! I will also have my nose to the grind stone until July 20.
    Good luck.
    Jenn

16. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 8, 2007

I agree. I've been out of school for 17 years. I passed sections I and III on the first try.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

urbancoastoffrd, those (whatever)4kids Web sites are indeed quite good.

As to the TFE exams, they are indeed about teaching practice. They've been part of the sort of internship programs in California that allow the participant to test out of some credential classes, and are apparently now an option for all credential programs - there was a thread on this a couple weeks ago on A to Z. I'm sorry I don't know much more than that. Chances are fairly good that some of the resources mentioned in the new-teacher and student-teacher subforums would be helpful.

Kippers, whereabouts in California are you?

18. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 8, 2007

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm in the Inland Empire. I'm 41 and haven't seen a real math or science class since high school- and wasn't the most fantastic math or science student then. I did pretty well on the CBEST but I'm worried about actual subject competency.

How much did you all study for this monster? I am seriously stressed out.

I'm trying to pass to get into a CSU special ed internship program.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been cruising through your resources and links.

:)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

Second-career people often surprise themselves pleasantly with CSET exams. Be a little less terrified, hm?

Inland Empire as in which county?

20. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 8, 2007

Riverside County in Southern California.

I bought a couple of additional books today at a library sale (where I was reading the Complete Idiot's Geometry). I bought an old science textbook and an old MSAT practice book- for 50 cents each, I'm glad to get a little help with cells and earth science.

I see the need for an elementary school teacher to be familiar with all of this and respect it. I'm just a little floored at how much I don't know.:eek:

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

And that's the beginning of wisdom, Kippers. If it's any consolation, I learn something new every time I teach this stuff - and I teach this stuff more than once a year, believe me.

22. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 9, 2007

Thanks Teachergroupie.

My CBEST scores came today with heartening news- total score is 201. Lowest scores were in math. of course.

I appreciate everyone offering advice and resources.

I'm planning on becoming a hermit/neglectful parent for the next two weeks just to finish me off.

Please tell me the RICA isn't nearly this stressful!

:)

23. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 9, 2007

I am also a member of the neglectful parent club. Between studying for the cset and the prerequisites to get into the credentials program...especially this CTAP - anyone doing that in their classes?... I'm feeling mighty guilty about not doing things with the kids. But they have other kids to play with. It's the feeding them 3 times a day that get to me. At least my older kids can make the younger ones corndogs.

24. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 9, 2007

Corndogs is haute cuisine in my house. I'm the mother of 6 year old twins so I have wanna-be cooks around here. I'm making bedtime sacrosanct so I can study.I had one in summer school and one at a Michael's craft class today and thought I could pull off a one-hour geometry session inside the crafts store. Instead, the teacher kindly invited me to join :eek: the crafts class- I wanted to cry- the last thing I needed in my hands was a glue gun- I needed a book!

How do you manage all this without losing children or your mind or both?

I haven't even heard of the CTAP yet, oh no!

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

CTAP could actually be helpful with CSET study: the Web site (http://ctap.k12.ca.us) links to CLRN at http://www.clrn.org, which offers link to Web and media resources that align with California's content standards.

Oh, and CTAP isn't an exam.

26. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 10, 2007

CTAP, I believe, stands for computer technology and proficiency. We have to demonstrate knowlege of the computer and show proof that we can do certain proficiencies. We put this on a computer portfolio. It's very time consuming; hence corndogs for lunch or dinner (or both:( ) But I may actually go shopping tonight. Not to get too of topic, but after being a stay-at-home-mom for many many years, I'm having a hard time with the fact that I won't be as available for my kids, even though they're a little older, and even though I've wanted to teach for a very long time.
    Ah well.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

Going even more off topic: what about cooking in big batches as a family project? There are all sorts of dishes that respond reasonably well to being frozen for a week or so, and several different sorts of prep and cooking can happen at one time. (While the laundry runs, even.)

28. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 10, 2007

I am really concerned about not having enough time for family since I've also been a SAHM/WAHM since my kids were born. One of my girls has special needs- hence the interest in special ed. We can't afford for me not to not work anymore.

I'm a total loss at anything domestic anyway. If anyone has any suggestions for first year teachers with families, I'm game to hear. My family now gets excited about an unfrozen Stouffers lasagna. :) I don't want to fizzle away any extra income on expensive and unhealthy fast food this coming year.

Now I've taken this wayyyy OT.

29. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2007

Hi everyone,
    I found lately that it can actually take just as much time to throw something together at home than driving through a fast food joint. Have the kids help. My 10 yo LOVES to be in the kitchen making Anything!!
    I teach currently in a Head Start program and love my hours,
    because I basically have the same hours as my kids. Plus we are off for holidays/summers together. So that is one benefit of a teaching career. Also, when you have extra work in the classroom, they can come and help you set up your room, prepare things, etc. Children usually love to hang out in "mom's classroom".
    JD~ I just signed up for the CTAP and am doing it online/independent study through CSUB. It doesnt start until Sept., so we'll see how that goes. I learned that the portfolio requirement is changing for those starting cred. program in Fall 07. I'm not sure how but will let you know. Good luck next Saturday to everyone!~

30. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 13, 2007

Good luck with the CTAP! Not my favorite class, I have to say. Very time consuming I think I mentioned that already.) But teachers have to be computer literate.
    Well, next week is the cset. I have not had too much time to study. Yikes!

31. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

I know you will pass. Don't worry!

32. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm having the hardest time with geometry and chem. My challenge is remembering formulas. That applies to figuring out %'s, too. Hopefully, there will be a lot of algebra and non-chem questions!!

33. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

I dont remember chem. questions or any formulas besides area of a triangle, etc. If you can do the math part of the cbest, you can do this.

34. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 14, 2007

Thank you so much for this website recommendation. My addled brain needed this. I'm also in Riverside. I didn't meet you at your yard sale yesterday, did I?

Good luck one and all!

35. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 14, 2007

I'd love to hear the mind-tricks people use to get through these things...I did my first marathon last year and my second earlier this year. Those were incredibly difficult to get through. I keep telling myself, I made it through 26.2 miles...how hard can a standardized test be?

What do others tell themselves?

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2007

As long as it's not "I'm a bad test taker" or something of the like, I'm good with it.

37. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

"I don't have to ace the thing."

And, I keep telling myself what I DO know.

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2007

YESSSS!

Oops. Sorry. I'm not supposed to shout, am I?

39. mommy3boys

mommy3boys Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I'm also taking the CSET on July 21, subtest 1. I just took the CBEST on June 16 and passed, totally shocked that I passed the essay part since I wrote as fast as my fingers could go. I just purchased the Boosalis Study, I had been using the Cliffnotes and the REA study guide. The first was not very good and the second made me feel like an idiot. Anyway the Beating the CSET by Boosalis is great. I was really struggling with the langauge arts part and it really explained everything.

Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck and like my friend whom passed every subset on the first take told be "you only have to pass it not ace it"

Ana

40. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

Good luck to you! I'm sure studying and keeping up with 3 boys keeps you busy.

41. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Hi gang!

Four days until test day. How is everyone?

I've arranged to spend the next few days in the library to escape distractions.

Neglectful parent club members: Tonight is Taco Night Tuesday at Del Taco in So Cal- three tacos for $1. Cheap lousy food kids will love is only a drive-thru away.

Good luck everyone!

Kippers