Juggling Interviews/Offers So Early in Hiring Season

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bunnie, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 13, 2014

So yesterday I attended a Job Fair where I received a lot of positive feedback from the school representatives I spoke to. Every school is in different stages of how they interview candidates and how fast/when they are going to start. I spoke to and distributed my résumé to about 20 schools. I also went to another Job Fair 2 weeks ago and dropped off another 10 resumes. I'm trying to be selective as to which schools I apply to but at the same time I'm afraid that I shouldn't be super picky either. I sent my résumé last year to over 100 schools and did not get a job.

I'm just wondering how to juggle it all *if* most of these schools do contact me for an interview. I have about 10 schools that I would consider ideal for me. The rest are schools I like but aren't my top choices. I know it's only March but last year I waited until July to start applying because I couldn't take days off at my old school to interview and wound up with only a handful of interviews over the summer. It seems most hire well before July.

I'm long term subbing right now, but my job is flexible and will allow me to take days off or half days if needed, which is helpful! I just feel like if I interview in say at least 5 schools before the end of the school year I'll be taking a lot of time off to do that. What if more than that contact me? It's overwhelming to think of, but a good kind of overwhelming I guess.

So how does everyone plan on juggling their job search while school is still in session with about 5 months until the start of next school year? I feel like this process is easier over the summer when timing is shorter so offers come quicker. What if you accept an offer but then a better opportunity comes along?

Sorry my thoughts are all over the place. But any insights experiences are welcomed. :)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 13, 2014

Once you accept an offer, you decline the other offers.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 13, 2014

The bulk of the hiring season where I was applying takes place well before summer hits. I felt so much like you as the hiring season began. I'm teaching full time and I was so worried about having to take a day off every week or something. I was applying 400 miles away, so it's not like I could take a half day or go to an interview after school.

In my case, I had a Saturday job fair and a Thursday interview, and then I got a job offer at my first choice school. I accepted the offer and then canceled an interview I had scheduled for the next Thursday. That's NOT really very normal, I realize - but I just wanted to point out that sometimes things fall into place more easily than you are expecting. Like you, I was just so worried about the whole thing, but everything worked out! I say just keep applying and doing everything you can, and hopefully the rest will fall into place.

And I agree with teacherintexas - once you accept an offer, that's it. In my case, the first school that offered was the school I wanted the most, so I was lucky.

5. Ellybean

Ellybean Rookie

Mar 13, 2014

I also work full time and have no clue how I am going to get to interviews when they come up, but I don't have any interviews scheduled at the moment, so I am not worrying about it. You just distribute your resumes yesterday. You don't have an interview yet. You need to stop worrying about this! :) If and when an interview happens, then you can think about these logistical things.

Many schools are super happy to accommodate early and after school interviews, in order to expedite the interview process, because they realize you are working.

As far as 'what if you accept an offer but a better one comes along', you stick with the offer you originally accepted. If you decline the first one and go with the second: the school is messed up because they have completely ended their search process and let all the other candidates know they are rejected by that point; you will burn bridges in the small education field; it makes you seem like you don't keep promises. etc.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 13, 2014

I followed your story Yellowdaisies and I'm definitely happy it worked out for you! I guess another post on here got me thinking what if you were in the running at your ideal school but an offer came up for a second choice school? There's no penalty for me declining a job after I accepted one so I'm not worry about that.

I'm focusing on concentrating my job search on charter schools and private schools at the moment which makes the pool much smaller. Public Schools around here do most hiring around June-August so I have time to focus on that later.

I went through a lot trying to job hunt last year and I got screwed over by leaving one school for another which the offer fell through leaving me scrambling in October to settling for being a sub after having my own class for 6 years. I guess the experience still haunts me and feel like if I get an offer this early it may fall through come September.

Anywho, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole process and hope I can be as lucky as you! Job hunting in education sure is stressful!

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 13, 2014

Ellybean I see what you're saying about disrupting the hiring process schools have setup. But teachers here (I'm also in NY) tend to leave last minute as well so I would think schools are kind used to hiring last minute too.

I know I'm overthinking it at this point and I'm extremely hopeful for finding something. I guess I'm really excited because I had a 2 schools say to me I want to create a job just for you (my masters is in a unique field) and 2 others say you will definitely be hearing from me.

8. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Mar 13, 2014

I am with you on this one. I applied to over 30 schools and just started a sub job this week. I already had to try t reschedule one interview for next week because it is 7 hours away by car and my new sub job told me they would fire me if I did not work 3 days a week. Got hired on Monday so could not sub that day, interviewed Tues day(no subbing) so I have to be available Wednesday Thursday and Friday or else. It did not matter that I had already scheduled the interviews and had not know I was starting so soon. I have been getting calls for interviewing the same day in the next 2 weeks in places hundreds of miles away from each other and from me so I have had to decline a few interviews which makes me cringe since I do not have a permanent job yet.

If nothing else at least getting interview calls means they are interested. Better too many then not enough.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 13, 2014

Geologygirl that's horrible! I'm cringing for you having to decline interviews I'm sure you wanted to go to. I can relate with the long term subbing. While my school is flexible, the truth is I need to work everyday because I need the money so I literally can't afford to not work. I had scheduled an interview for next Thursday afternoon knowing that school was a 1/2 day. Well today they asked if I could help them during PT Conferences (and get paid extra for it) so I had to reschedule for my interview for another day which is fine, because it on a day there's no school.

I know the getting calls thing is great, but I've gotten lots of calls for interest in me last summer but competition is fierce and schools are super selective. So I don't put too much stock into anything until after the actual interview/demo lesson.

10. ayla

ayla Companion

Mar 15, 2014

Last year I took off about 1 day per week to interview. It was stressful and in the end I didn't even get hired until late June when school was out.

11. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Mar 15, 2014

if you are offered the job at one school but still waiting on hearing from another one that you would prefer to work at I think what you could do is ask the school that offered you a job how much time you have to decide, then call up the other school and maybe say to them, I really am interested in this job, but I've gotten another offer, and maybe ask where they are in the process?

ayla that's a lot! did you have to take off one day a week from subbing or a full time job?

12. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 15, 2014

Sometimes the schools who are hiring will interview you after school if you tell them you are substituting and don't want to leave that school on a lurch.

Personally if the hiring person is not willing to work with you concerning your schedule conflicts, do you really want to work for them?

Most people will recognize that you have to work and make a living somehow.

I would choose a couple days a week (if you can afford it) and focus on job hunting.

Did you drop off the applications personally to the various schools?

13. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Mar 15, 2014

I believe most schools start looking for new teachers in May or June (shortly after the teachers who are leaving put in their notice).

In high school there is a hiring window in Nov and Dec before the start of the new semester, when some teachers leave.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 15, 2014

I think schools are more accommodating with interviews if it's your second interview, or if it's a hard to fill job and they have very few applicants.
    When they have screening interviews, or first interviews for a large number of applicants, they set aside 2-3 days to interview 10-20 applicants, and there isn't much outside of that window. It's understandable.

If you're subbing, you need to realize that subbing is something that is giving you a paycheck, but doesn't guarantee a future - if it did, you would be interviewing with that school already. So don't feel guilty for taking a day off for trying to secure a job in a field where you went to college for 5+ years, been subbing for a while and now you actually have a shot.

Obviously you don't want to take off every other day, so try to schedule it after school, or if you have several interviews, try to see if you can go to 2 or 3 interviews in one day. Other than that, just do what's best for you.

15. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 16, 2014

Since these are charter schools a lot of them have similar hiring processes. This was my biggest question while at the fair because I wanted to know the next steps after talking to the school representative. Generally every school told me this.

1. Phone Interview or School Visit/Chat
    2. Hiring Committee Interview or All day (some half day) group interview with school tour and socialization activities.
    3. Return for Demo Lesson or review of a teaching video (new schools with no students)

That's potentially 3 days I'd need to take off per school. It gets overwhelming to think about if you are trying to juggle a few schools. I get that they have time to try and select the best candidate, but it's difficult to take off that much time without the possibility of losing the job you all ready have. And forget about interviewing during my lunch, it's just not possible geographically.

Obviously the demo lesson has to be done during school hours so you can't get around that. I love the phone interview process because it can be done in the evening. I just miss the old way of hiring teachers, at least around here, where they set you up with an interview and demo lesson the same day and make a decision soon after that.

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2014

If the hiring season wasn't good last year and I got offered a job, I would be scared not to take the job because another one may not offered.