Journeys Reading Series

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by littlemiskinder, Sep 21, 2013.

1. littlemiskinder

littlemiskinder Rookie

Sep 21, 2013

Hey all,
    My school started using the Journeys Reading Series this year and after a two week Welcome to Kindergarten introduction I sat down to start my plans for next week. Each lesson is about 15 pages long!! I feel like I will have absolutely no time to get to half of what the series expects me to cover. Has anyone else used this series? Did you face the same problems? How did you cover all of the material?:dizzy:

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

I have it...although I don't use much of it. Textbooks aren't meant to be covered from start to finish. Your main goal should be to teach the standards. The basal provides lots of stories to do this, but I know lots of teachers add other stories and activities as well such as real literature. It is nice that the basals or textbooks are large. This gives you more choices.

4. kab164

kab164 Companion

Sep 21, 2013

Do not fret! It's our 4th year with Journeys and our rdg scores have definitely improved. The rep. Who did our training said you need to remember it is OR OR OR, not and, and, and with this series. You need to pick and choose what to teach because it's such a thorough series. You could easily teach reading for most of the day but that is not necessary. Our teachers were overwhelmed the first year but it does get better!

5. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Sep 22, 2013

Pick and Choose

It is very overwhelming at first, but you just pick and choose what you know is the most important/aligned with your students' needs.