Journals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AngelM, Jul 2, 2007.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

I am curious what types of journals you all have the students keep. I will be teaching 2nd grade this fall (first time) and am trying to get my ducks in a row. I subbed for a few months at the end of this past school year and saw journals used in many different ways.

I know that, for sure, I want the students to keep a writing journal. I would love to have them write in it daily (maybe as part of morning work??). I've also seen teachers use vocabulary journals where, each week, the teacher chooses one vocabulary word from the basal selection. Together the class looks up the meaning and discusses the word. The teacher has the students record the word and its meaning in their vocab journals. Each student then writes a sentence using the word and draws a picture. I like this idea, too. I've also seen teachers have students keep a dictionary-type journal where they record all high freq words by letter.

Anyway, I know I can't do all of this and wondered what works best for others. Thanks for any input!! :)

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2007

I don't do journals- I just don't like them but I understand that you want to try this next year. I know alot of people on this forum has good ideas for journal writing. But can you tell us more about the dictionary-type journal for high frequency words?? That might be something worth learning more about & trying. Thanks.:)

4. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

i love journals. i use it as a journal/notebook. some days i have given topics and prompts. other days students are given time to free write. i don't grade journals but instead use it as a practice field. this is the space where students try out new ideas, writing styles, or lessons from mini lessons presented in class. i feel that i get to know each student as an individual through their journal writing and sharing. i learn about who they are inside...beyond the math facts and sight words...who they want to be, what they believe in, and what is deep down in their core.

there are a few books out there that helped me to understand notebooks a little better. let's see...Notebook Know-How: Strategies For The Writer's Notebook by Aimee Buckner and Ralph Fletcher, Breathing In, Breathing Out: Keeping a Writer's Notebook by Ralph Fletcher, and the other title escapes me right now.

i explain that writing is like training any other muscle. the more you train or practice, the better you get. your endurance grows and so does your creativity. at first, all of my students moan and groan. they seem to enjoy writing in their journal by the end of the year. it is a space that is free from judgment.

let's see, when i taught second grade, i began the year by expecting them to write at least half a page. i know i shouldn't give a specified amount to write in a journal but they seem to NEED a concrete amount of space to fill. i also worked with them on how to create journal entries and how to think of topics. especially in the beginning of the year we brainstormed over a certain topic and i wrote difficult vocabulary words that connected to the topic. although i needed their spelling to be accurate enough for me to understand the passage, i did not mark their journals for spelling or grammar errors. i wanted their thoughts to flow. i only commented on the content.

each quarter i added another half page so second quarter was one whole page, third quarter was 1 1/2 pages, and fourth quarter was 2 full pages. believe it or not they were able to do it!