Journals

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by PinkLily, Dec 3, 2010.

1. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Dec 3, 2010

I have not been very impressed with my students' writing in their journals this year. I'm sure that part of the problem is that I just moved to grade one, after having taught grade 3 for several years, so my expectations may be too high. I don't know...

How do you do journal writing in your class? Do you give students a topic or a sentence starter in the beginning? How much do you expect them to write? How long do you give them to write?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2010

I have an "Imagination Journal" which is done on Monday mornings (morning work activity). They can write about whatever they wish. One teacher on my team gives them a prompt so they can either come up with something to write on their own, or they can use the prompt. They can share if they want.

We have "Thinking Journals" which is like a response to reading journal. This I do pay attention to.

We have a science journal. Our science is inquiry based... the kids write notes, observations, predictions, results, etc. in a way that makes sense to themselves.

4. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2010

I do daily journals where the children can write on anything they want to. The class and I come up with idea lists to help get ideas. As the year goes on I start giving more assigned writing. They share their stories with other students. I read the stories over and give them suggestions on ideas to add to their story if they are stuck. At this time I expect children to write around three or four sentences in their stories at least. Unless they are a beginning or early emergent writer. We also do sentence journals. I usually give them around half an hour to do their writing; but I put it at a time where they can go longer if needed without taking too much away from the other stuff. So some children will be working for 45 minutes or more.