Journals in Preschool

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by melnm, Aug 22, 2012.

1. melnm

melnm Companion

Aug 22, 2012

I have read about several preschool classrooms that use them. I'm thinking about it, but not exactly sure how I would incorporate it or it is really even appropriate at this age. Does anyone here use them? If so, how do you do them? Do you have them do a page about a certain topic? Just let it be more of a free choice activity? And, are you able to keep them from going through several pages all at once. I would think that might be difficult. I have a 6 year old who still does that!

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 22, 2012

I loved journal time! We used it to record things they thought were important. Like, that special block design, the day they saw a fire truck, the day the tooth fell out ....so on. We used them to document science we used them to free draw. They were how we learned to work letters into our drawings!

We used comp books but not really the lines....just treated it like fresh clean pages. They would all lay down, heads together and work for literally hours some days!

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2012

I love journals for many reasons. One is that they are an easy way to assess how their drawing and attempts at writing are changing through the year, and is an easy thing to add to their portfolios.

I change it up. Sometimes they can write about anything they want, sometimes it is in response to a book we read or an activity we did, often as a science observation notebook, etc. I don't use they everyday, but some people leave them out all the time.

I think you will be glad you did them.

5. Lroweb

Lroweb Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

Im going to try this do you allow them to use as many pages as they want or limit them and how

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2012

I try to limit them to 1 page a day for the sake of waste. Early in the year, some with just scribble page after page unless I do. Now if they have more to say in their story, that is a different matter.

7. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Aug 24, 2012

I do the same as scmom, using preschool lined paper with a picture box. Earlier in the year, I will record their thoughts for them after they draw a picture. Later, as we learn most of our letters, I will write out what they say in a yellow highlighter and have them trace over with a preschool-grip pencil. Then I pay close attention to how they're writing (top to bottom, left to right, etc.).

:) Sarah

8. melnm

melnm Companion

Aug 25, 2012

Thanks for all the great ideas! I think I'm going to try them.

9. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Aug 27, 2012

When I taught 4-year-olds we had composition book journals. They were just a free-choice thing, and some kids almost never touched them. Lots of kids loved them and used them frequently, and not one child in 3 years ever managed to fill the entire thing with scribbles. We would do smaller, stapled paper journals when we learned about a certain topic- we had Space Journals, and Insect Journals, etc.

10. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Sep 1, 2012

I am trying to implement them myself this year. OUr first try was after rest time ~ disaster! LOL

This upcoming week, we will try before outside time