journals in PK-4

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by jlj, Oct 3, 2006.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 3, 2006

Haven't been here for awhile. I've written a couple of times about this so I'm hoping that now that the new school year has started some of you will have some ideas to share. I have the Draw and write journals from Lakeshore and I'm looking for suggestions. So far I've had the children draw a picture of self and write their name as best they can, draw a picture of their house, and draw of picture of something they can do (ie. dressing self, setting table, jumping rope...). How often do you have them work in their journals? Do you do it as a large group or in small groups? Thanks for any help you can give!!!!

3. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Oct 3, 2006

I don't use journals in which they write/draw. But Throughout the year I collect documentation of their fine motor skills: pictures they draw, when they write their names and so on... I also document their physical growth with handprints, footprints, height, weight. I also include pics of them throughout the year. These files are separate from the ones with my observations, incident reports, IEPs etc...

I know that is not really the same but my point was you could include handprints, have a page for their height and weight, and maybe do some collage picture work with their pics on some of the pages.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 3, 2006

We do open ended journals. They have a blank page in their journals and they draw what they wish and tell an adult their "story" as part of the morning routine...

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2006

We do journals Mon, Wed, Fri...at this point I am picking the subject until they become more comfortable with it. This Monday we went outside and drew/wrote at the picnic table. It was a beautiful fall day. windy and golden leaves twirling all around us, so I gave them the topic, "Wind." It was just perfect!

6. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Oct 3, 2006

I do journals everyday during their first center time. After everyone gets there, we will start calling about six to the back table where we do art. We have free choice centers so it helps rotate them out of centers and gives the popular centers a chance to be rotated with new children. We use copy paper bound in three prong folders. I always date them at the top and at the beginning of the year we concentrate on learning to write their name. They are allowed to draw in their journal after they practice their name. We also introduce the letters we are learning that week and on Fridays, they can draw whatever they want to. They really like having their journals.

7. klukeh

klukeh Rookie

Oct 3, 2006

Love Journals

;)

Hi there. I want to encourage you to use the journals as much as possible. The children in my class love them. We use them during center time, or set out for free time activity. Today for instance we were doing a dinosaur unit. I put out stencils of dinosaurs and let the kids put them in thier journals. Be creative. They can practice names, or just let them create. I like to date the pages with a stamp. We keep our journals until the end of the year and then present to the parent with thier memory books.
    Happy teaching, K

8. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Oct 4, 2006

I do journals with my pre-k class twice a week, tues & thurs. On Tuesday I usually select a topic related to our theme. On Thursdays I usually do "draw something that begins with ___" whatever the letter of the week is. That way they have had most of the week to become farmilar with the letter and words.

I write the date and what I want them to draw at the top of the page. They draw their picture, write their name, write the letter of the week (Thursdays only) and dictate what they drew and I write it down.

I do this with the whole class at once. I have an aide, it doesn't seem too much because the children get finished at differnt times. I have the date & topic written at the top on all the journals before class, so we just need to write the dictation when they are done.

Hope this was helpful.

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2006

We do journals regularly. I give them a page with a partial sentence on it. For example, yesturday it was "My favorite part of the pumpkin patch is/are..." Then they draw the rest of the sentence. I then copy the words they would use onto a slip of paper and they copy the word(s) onto their paper. So, for example, yesturday one child drew scarecrows so I wrote that word on a slip and they copied the word scarecrows on their paper after they made their drawing.

10. Myname

Myname Comrade

Oct 7, 2006

We have them write the letter of the week and the next few days we will do a small word. If they can write it we write it for them and they trace on top of it.

11. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 9, 2006

I do not have a set time that I do journals. Right now we just finished illustrating the color poems. We glue the color poem at the top of the page and they illustrate it using that color. I usually do this on the last day that we have worked on this color. I have also done "I like fall because_______." I type most of my journal prompts on the computer. It is much easier to finish them than to have to sit and write the prompt on each journal. We just don't have time.

12. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Oct 10, 2006

I don't give them a topic. I use a journal to get them using the writing utensils on a regular basis. I sort of copied the method that Vanna/TX suggested but we haven't been doing it everyday. I do it about three times per week. I have mostly young 3s this year and that was just not working first thing in the morning like I wanted it to. After the winter break, I will move to doing them every day.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 10, 2006

My kids are just getting used to "writing" from left to right...lots of curvy lines. They draw a picture. Today they drew leaves falling from trees and whatever else they wanted to add. I get the page ready in the notebook, with the date and some cute stickers. They just love it.

14. jlj

jlj Devotee

Oct 10, 2006

PK-4 writing journals

Thanks everyone for the ideas! It was great hearing from you! If you think of other ideas....please pass them along. I want to get more into a routine with the writing journals. I also use the My First Picture Word Book from Lakeshore. We use it as each letter is introduced and again during review. The children really enjoy this one!

15. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Oct 13, 2006

My students do journals everyday right after lunch. It is free choice writing. I usually do a mini lesson first. At the end of journal time they share what they wrote with the people at thier table. I also chose one person from each table to share with the whole group at circle. I hightlight things like ..used the word wall cards to write a friends name, used capital and lowercase letters, picture matches the words (even if i can't read the words-the student can). They love this and they try to include those things in their writing so they can be up front.