Journals/bellringers

Discussion in 'High School' started by inlovewithwords, Jul 18, 2007.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 18, 2007

How do you collect and grade journals? I plan to have my students do them everyday. Should I tell them to get a composition notebook and then collect them everyweek?

3. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I'm so glad you posted this because I was just about to post a similar topic! (Hope we ELA teachers aren't hogging the board! I just returned here after some absence and I'm continually inspired by all the good ideas here!)
    I want to have some type of bellringer activities, but I'm kind of wondering how to make it consistent because last year I wasn't. :eek: I want to do sometimes a journal, sometimes a review sentence practicing the grammar or writing or whatever we worked on the previous day, and for Fridays something that might be kind of fun/different: a unique or uncommon "word of the day" or an "idiom of the day" to define and talk about how it's used, what do you think? (Last year I once used "euphemism" in a comment and was surprised when one girl in my honors class asked me what it meant! So I thought this might be a fun way to introduce some unique words or phrases we use.)
    Sorry to hijack your thread! Do you have a book you'll use for prompts, or make your own? I'm kind of worried I'll run out of ideas around November. ;) For grading, I think I'll pick them up once a month or so (that's 16 entries for our schedule), and kind of grade on a completion of x number of entries and then closely read a few for more points.

4. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Along with this thread... I did journals last year and collected every two weeks. (I just put quick tiny post-its sometimes with remarks, and than their grade). I did not always read every page, but just to let them know I may read anything. I played various symphony music during journals, for three minutes they wrote on topic at hand. If we were on Greek Myth, I put something like "What if you woke up and had snakes on your head like Medusa? How would you handle going to school the next day?"

But my question is the material. By the third/fourth quarter, my kids no longer had notebooks to hand in. Whether they could afford new notebooks or not, a lot of kids' grades were slipping because journals were 20% and some weren't handing them in at all. Is it a good idea to buy notebooks for them? and sell them for a quarter? We aren't suppose to sell kids things directly, but I did anyway (a few other teachers did this). THough, it did end up taking a toll on my pockets...we all know notebooks sure aren't $.25 cents. How would you go about securing journal material?

5. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Jul 18, 2007

This is to answer the cost of notebooks. I have been buying them like crazy at Walmart because they are 10 cents a piece. That way I have plenty on hand for those who aren't able to afford them.

6. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

That is so nice of you crayonfan...I am a 1st year teacher and am going to be starting in 3rd grade. I was looking at what kind of things I can start buying for the classroom and the kids. Buying notebooks seems to be a good idea...i want them to have a routine of journal writing every morning for 15 mins. What do you all think?

G

7. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I think it's a great idea. I want writing to become a daily routine for my students. Last year some of them moaned and groaned after a while but their writing got so much better. Thanks for the tips about the notebooks.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

At our school, copies are free. I printed up Bellringer packets with space for 10 bellringers... like a half-page for each bellringer. I handed these out to students who didn't want to use or didn't have their own paper.