journal writing vs. writer's workshop

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by misst1976, Aug 11, 2008.

1. misst1976

misst1976 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Is there a difference? Do you do both or only one?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 11, 2008

I do both. For journal writing I give them a topic and they can write whatever they want to for it. With writer's workshop it's more structured. I do a mini-lesson and then they write individually or with guidance if necessary. We also talk more about structure and conventions of writing and some pieces we take to the publishing stage. I will give them ideas for bettering their writing with workshop, but with their journals, I never "correct" what they have written.

4. Rachel0624

Rachel0624 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

This year we are going to have a Drawing Journal and a Writer's Workshop Journal. The drawing journal will be for them to practice drawing pictures (we will even have some mini lessons for drawing) so that when they "write" their stories in the WW Journal they will better be able to add details to tell their story. I don't know if I directly answered your question though. ;)

5. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I agree. Journal is more of free writing, even if given a topic. Writer's Workshop includes a mini-lesson. Ask your district to get the Writing Workshop curriculum by Lucy Calkins. It is the best! It tells you lesson by lesson what to say and do. Writer's Workshop will improve journal writing.

6. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I use Writer's Workshop, and my students get to choose what they write about.

7. misst1976

misst1976 Companion

Aug 12, 2008

So, when do you have them do these? Obviously not at the same time, right? journal and writer's workshop everyday?

8. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

In Writers workshop the students can choose their own topic but it typically is different from journal writing in that WW is looking for a story with a beginning,middle, and end. A story they can tell and retell across their fingers with details, a small moment that really happened to them such as the birthday cake they ate or when they got a puppy. In journal writing, the children could literally write about the fact that they love playing with pokemon cards. Unlike the goal of ww, there is no story there, just something they enjoy. Not sure if I gave the best examples but I tried. :)

9. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I wanted to add, we dont do both. We found that the at such a young age, the different requests of them in writing, were confusing. So we just went with Lucy calkins writing workshop and skipped journal writing b/c we felt that ww incorporates an element of free writing in itself.

10. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I agree with Kteacher07. I do Writer's Workshop, but not journal writing. It would seem confusing to the chidren to have to write a story with a beginning, middle and end, while in their journal they just have to write anything or draw anything.
    The whole reason we went away from journals is that it doesn't teach the structure or process of true writing.
    If you can, get your hands on works by Lucy Calkins or Katie Wood Ray