Jolly Phonics

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Liljag, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Sep 15, 2009

So, does anyone use it and does it work well with your kids (and is it fun)? :)

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 15, 2009

My goodness, you are talking to one of the biggest Jolly Phonic fans ever!!

My class is virtually all ESL, ranging from fluent English speakers, fluent English and LOTE speakers to those who do not have English. Since I teach 5 year olds we start the year on fine motor skills and phonemic awarenss. At about week 5 I introduce the first Jolly Phonic letter sound.

Jolly Phonics introduces the letter sounds in a fun, easy to introduce and memorable way (there are actions, songs and a DVD). The first 6 sounds learnt are s, a, t, i, p and n. From these 6 sounds there are a lot CVC words which can be made and children are soon decoding not only CVC words but high frequency words such as 'a', 'at', 'is', 'it', 'an' and "I". Digraphs are also introduced as well as tricky words. When you know the actions, you start to play games, so I do the actions, the children say the sound and put the word together. We practise writing on whiteboards, do the worksheet and homework appears approximately 6 weeks after we start (this means that /s/ is a revision letter for them).

Each sound is introduced with a story and I have gathered numerous props to help (including my clown wig, now isnt' that a memorable lesson - the teacher with a clown wig and red nose!!). A rubber snake introduces the /s/ sound and the action is of a snake slithering along. I have plastic ants I bought in the supermarket for the /a/ sound and so my resources have grown.

The sounds are not taught in alphabetical order (words do not come in alphabetical order) and children need to recognise letters instantly. I have an alphabet freeze on the wall in alphabetical order which is up all year round. The Jolly Phonic's freeze goes up as we learn each letter sound.

I would suggest buying the book which has the worksheets in. I photocopied it, cut and pasted into the font we have to use.

75% of my class got 100% on knowing their phonic letters. Of the four children who did not score 100%, one was absent, two scored 92% and a fourth scored 60% but he has been absent and finds focussing very difficult.

I know there have been other threads on atoz on Jolly Phonics and I am more than willing to share more of my experiences and what I do. I think I love Jolly Phonics because the children have fun and they don't realise they are learning - go for it!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 15, 2009

I don't have the whole program, but I do use the section that I have every year.

5. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Sep 15, 2009

I have started reading the webisite and it seems so interesting. The school I am interested in uses it and it seems kinda neat. The only thing I have off hand is "Backpack" (and Bornholm) but I wonder if the systems are that similar? Can you hop around in the system or is there a set course? Sorry, just never worked with it before so I am really curious.

6. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 15, 2009

Liljag - I hop around the system a little bit. I bring /ee/ and /th/ forward (once we've done the short /e/ and the single sounds for /t/ and /h/. I do this so that the children can read the sightwords 'see' and all the 'th' sightwords, expecially 'the' and 'that'. Their confidence is boosted that they CAN do this thing called reading!

At the front of the teacher's book, there is a table which tells you the order in which to teach the letters and other activities week by week. All in all, according to the book you can teach a child all the phonemes in 11 weeks. My children are ESL and there is no pressure so I teach one or two sounds per week (probably why they all 'get it', and two sounds per week are with letters such as z and x that the majority of children already know), but two or three per week would be feasible with children who have English as a first language.

7. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Sep 17, 2009

My children have been working with Jolly Phonics in preschool and in kindergarten and I could not be happier with the program. I actually went out and bought the dvd and workbooks to work with them at home in the summers/off time!

In four months of work with this program in preschool, my (now K age) daughter was able to read! My kids have enjoyed the signs, sounds, actions and stories that go along with this series. I definitely recommend it. Our local district uses this in Kindergarten as part of their curriculum, so my daughter is being reinforced in this material now and I could not be happier!

Definitely recommend checking it out!