"Joking" that crosses the line

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.SLS, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 5, 2012

I have one class that has a handful of boys who joke around with each other inappropriate ways. It's been a problem for awhile, and every time I hear it, I come down hard on them. I've had individual conferences, called parents, issued detentions, etc. I CANNOT get it in their heads that the way they speak to each other is not
    appropriate for the classroom (ie. momma jokes, fat jokes, etc).

I understand this is how they interact with each other outside my room. Whatever. That's their business. I've repeatedly expressed that it's not ok IN MY ROOM.

My next step is writing referrals, but I hate to write a referral for something like "Kid A told Kid B his face was dumb."

Suggestions?

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2012

Why would you hate doing this? Seems fine to me.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 5, 2012

"Student repeatedly spoke out in class to insult his classmates." Yeah, that works.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 5, 2012

At least you don't have referrals like this:

[​IMG]

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 5, 2012

What's the administration's take on this issue? IMHO, if you keep an issue like this contained within your class, the administration are happy for it being YOUR problem. Documenting and writing up the boys makes it OUR (as in your and their) problem.

I had a situation with an E.D. child who was verbally and at times physically abusive to other kids. After repeated conferences with parents, taking recess, detention, etc I finally got fed up and started writing referarals. EVERY. DAY. Sometimes the boy had 2 - 3 in one day.

It forced the administration's hand.

PS: If parents complain to you about hurt feelings or not "doing enough" you'll be covered when you show your records that you've written up 12+ referrals and the administration did nothing.

7. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Dec 5, 2012

I agree. The next step is going to be cursing or something equally bad. Nip this in the bud before you're the one in trouble.

8. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 5, 2012

Ok, will do.

I'm just not big on referrals; I'd rather deal with it myself, which is usually effective.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 5, 2012

3 things

1. I completely agree with the posts that say write referrals for those who keep making fun of people.
    2. I would agree that it is difficult to get through to the students on this issue.
    3. It is worth the time to really make sure you make the attempt to get through to the students.

I would say about what I would say, but put it in your own words and style.

I want you to imagine that one day you come in and you see that the classrooms have had everything inside it completely burned and ruined by a student. Every book, every desk, every computer, and everything you can think of. Now, I want you to imagine the principal walks in and witnesses the person who is doing this. Do you think that this student will get in a lot of trouble.

Their response : Yes or Yes..duh!

Your question: Why is that?

They will respond about how valuable all the stuff is.

Your next question: What if it wasn't school stuff? What if something over 1000 times more valuable was damaged. I am telling you right now that there is something 1000 times more valuable in this school. That is each student and each adult that works here. Therefore, I will not allow any person to have their feelings damaged (then go into what you won't accept). Each person is far too valuable to have that happen in this classroom.

I know that this really works with 5th graders if there is a lot of follow through. They know that to me kindness and respect is the highest priority, and I will not allow anything less from myself or anyone else.

They might think you are crazy, but you are 100% right on target.

10. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 5, 2012

I like that illustration.

They DO think I'm crazy for getting upset about it, but I will take everyone's suggestions and get admin involved. My VP has a pretty good "coming to Jesus" talk :)

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Dec 5, 2012

It doens't sound like it's about making fun of others even... It sounds like they are just joking with each other in a way she doesn't like, which is totally understandable. It's more of an insubordination issue (of the teacher), to continue to do it when the teacher says she doesn't want it in the classroom. I think that saying that (the referral) is because they are making fun of others lessens the effect. They need to know that the issue is about respecting the teacher.