Joking during movies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Apr 10, 2015.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2015

More directed to science teachers, but may apply to others.

When I show videos in class with weird looking animals sometimes my kids will say things like "how'd you get in that movie, so and so?" or "hey so and so" sort of saying that the animal is the student. I usually just let them know to be quiet because I know they're just joking around, I did the exact same thing when I was their age.

But today I thought maybe I should say something more? Give consequences? It's always within friend groups. (I teach 8th grade)

Thoughts?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2015

It sounds distracting from what I'm sure your goal is in showing the film. I'd plan some accountable activity for them to do during the film: an idea web, two column notes, guided note taking, etc.
    Even though it's joking within 'friend groups', such teasing can still hurt.

Re-establish your expectations before the next video.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 10, 2015

We have a rule in our class that doesn't allow making fun of students. All students are to be respected, because each person is important.

Personally, I would not allow a student to openly make fun of a student in front of the class with comments such as that. It can be very hurtful and embarrassing to that student. Yes a consequence is appropriate if you have a rule about respect in your classroom. A private conversation with that student would also be helpful.

It is also disrupting in watching a video to allow students to call out. I do give a small consequence to students who talk out during a video (although I usually give a reminder first).

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2015

When I show a video the kids are always doing some sort of work- notes, questions, etc.

I'll make sure to be more on top of this next time.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 11, 2015

I would give them a class warning. If it happens again (to anyone in the class) the perpetrator would have to leave the classroom with other work to complete.

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 11, 2015

If I have a rowdy class and I want to show a movie, I come in with the DVD and with a big stack of worksheets. I tell them that I would really like them to be quiet and attentive for the movie, but if they can't, I'll have to turn it off and given them the worksheets instead.

I haven't had to follow through yet.

8. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Not that I was a bad student, but this definitely made me be quiet and watch the movie. :D

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

I actually come with a big pile of worksheets about the movie, and freely distribute them. I try to have at least four sets, each different, and they are staggered in distribution among the students. The students are told there will be a collaborative/group project/paper/presentation on the film, and that each group will consist of three or four students, each with a different worksheet to bring to the organization meeting of their group, and that the information contained on the worksheets is their "research". Answer with one word, and you won't have much to work with, which is not good for your grade. The worksheets with full answers and insights will do better when it comes to grades. They will grouse the first time or two, but a couple of things are going on. First, I put the groups together, which means that if you are hurtful to someone, you could end up working with them, and they might not forgive and forget. Second, this helps to foster respect between the students - some have come from different sending districts, etc., so this is a sensitizing exercise, plus it gives students who may normally be quiet or a goof off a chance to shine. If i hear any remarks I consider disrespectful to others, the person calling out just lost a point for whatever team they end up on.

I love films, but you have to find a way to make them more active and less of a spectator activity.