joining CSU Hayward

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by rama, Dec 22, 2006.

1. rama

rama New Member

Dec 22, 2006

Hi,
    I am a graduate from India. I am trying to take teaching credentials in CSU Hayward. The process seems very lengthy and confusing to me. The course work begins in June. Do I need to pass CBEST and CSET before June? They said that I have time to complete CSET (till Aug). And one more thing, can I take CBEST in parts? Because, I need some help with my writing. Have any one done their credentials in CSU Hayward? Please help me.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 22, 2006

You as CBEST taker may choose to take only one or two sections of CBEST, rather than all three - and you will still have all four hours of testing time. You will pay $42 each time you take CBEST and you will receive the entire test each time, but a section that you leave blank simply isn't scored. Your highest score is your score of record for a given section: that is, if you scored 39 in Reading Comprehension in August, then retook Reading Comprehension in October to try to raise your score and only got 37, your score of record would still be 39.

In other threads on this forum I've mentioned the book Write Better Essays in 20 Minutes a Day and some other good books from LearningExpress.

As to CSET and when to have passed it, credential programs vary in what they require. If the CSU Hayward program says you don't have to have passed CSET until August, then you should be able to rely on that; if you've read this on the program Web site, though, it would be wise to talk to some live person in the credential program.

4. rama

rama New Member

Dec 22, 2006

Thanks for your suggestion.