Johnny Appleseeds Birthday

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kamisc, Sep 24, 2011.

1. kamisc

kamisc Rookie

Sep 24, 2011

Monday will be Johnny Appleseeds birthday and I am trying to think of a fun activity for my first graders to complete. I was thinking of making a graph of our favorite apples (green, red, yellow), but I would love a writing activity. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

Kids can write an apple recipe ( apple pie, apple sauce, caramel apple...)

Write what you learned about Johnny Appleseed.

Where would you plant an apple tree?

What kind of seeds would you like to plant?

4. kamisc

kamisc Rookie

Sep 24, 2011

Johnny Appleseed

Thank you! I was thinking about having them make applesauce but I think it may be too much for them, especially since I have a wide array of allergies in my class. I am trying to have them graph their favorite kind of apple and then have some kind of writing activity.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

I used to always make applesauce in my class but our current nutrition policy doesn't allow it.:(

Some of the other prompts might work for you though...or were they going to write about the graphing activity?

6. kamisc

kamisc Rookie

Sep 24, 2011

Well i was going to have us graph our favorite apple and then maybe they can have a writing activity where they say the kinds of seeds they would plant?

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 25, 2011

I have a lot of great apple activities. I usually have them go to the store and count how many kinds of apples there are. Then they buy 5 apples, eat one each day, and count the seeds. Then we graph favorite apples. We compare how many seeds each type of apple has.

You could bring in several different kinds of apples and pass them out. Slice them with an apple slicer. Cut the cores open and let the kids count the seeds. Have them predict: will the same kinds of apples will have the same amount of seeds? Will different kinds of apples have the same amount of seeds?

I make a lab worksheet for them to record the different names of the apples, how many seeds in each type, and their favorite apples. They get to eat the apple they work with. I help collect the data and write it on the board.

I might just do this with my kids tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder of the special day.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 25, 2011

Can you write from the perspective of an apple? What one feels like, what they see, hear, etc.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2011

I miss Johnny Appleseed. Our "new" curriculum omitted it. ::::tear::::

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 25, 2011

We made applesauce, most recipes are pretty low on the allergy scale and you can sweeten it with honey instead of sugar. We make it with apples, sugar, a little bit of water, and cinnamon. It is very easy and the kids really enjoy seeing it change from chunks to applesauce. We also graph our favorite color after eating one piece of each color.

11. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 2, 2011

How about having them write about an adventure of Johnny Appleseed? It could even be there "encounter" with him. I like my prompts to be very open-ended and allow the kids to go just about anywhere. It fosters creativity, and usually provides me with lots of grins and laughs.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2011

What about a Thank You letter to Johnny for planting the apple seeds?

If Johnny was still alive what would you say to him?

What about them writing their favorite dessert or way to eat apples?

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2011

The holiday was in September. Maybe the OP can file today's suggestions away for next year.:whistle:

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2011

I was thinking the same thing....