Jobseekers-Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jw13, Mar 13, 2008.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2008

That's great news, Shelly. Blow them away on the demo lesson!

2. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 12, 2008

That IS awesome! It sounds very promising. What lesson do you think you will do?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2008

Good luck on the demo lesson! Is the demo lesson going to be with the class you just were student teacher in?

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 12, 2008

The strange thing is, I'm practicing my 2/3 demo lesson (which is for a charter school in another district) in my Dream School's 2/3. It's just to work the bugs out. I'm thinking of inviting the P to come if she can.

She wants me to do the demo in the K/1 where I had my last day student teaching yesterday - even though the job is for 2/3.

I don't know what lesson for the K/1 (ideas??) but here's my 2/3 lesson plan. What do you think?

5. smalltowngal

Apr 14, 2008

Okay, so the 8th grade English position I was hoping to interview for this week has been taken down from the listings....AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!! I talked to the principal and he said that they would be interviewing sometime this week (but it seems like it was last week) and that he had my info!! I'm hoping it was a district transfer. This STINKS!

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 14, 2008

STG,

That totally stinks! :hugs: I bet it was a district transfer. Is there anyone you know there where you could check it out??

Lemon

7. smalltowngal

Apr 14, 2008

No, lemon, I don't know anyone at that school to ask.

8. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 14, 2008

So I had an interview at a high school today and was offered the job on the spot! :woot: I said I would need to sleep on it and would call him back by the end of the week, but I am almost 100% sure I'm going to accept it. I'm much more excited by this prospect than the 6th grade one, even though it is about 45 minutes away. They seemed very open to the idea of me teaching oceanography, which is great, and they even have some SMARTboards available for teachers who go through the training (um, ok!).

Yay! :2up:

~Briana~

9. smalltowngal

Apr 14, 2008

Congrats, Briana! I know that you are more excited about high school!! What does multiple offers feel like? I'm going to live vicariously through you until I get at least an interview.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 14, 2008

WOOWWOOOOO. I can't believe how great you are doing. You get an offer everywhere you go. Must be nice. Do you have any other interviews between now and the end of the week?

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 14, 2008

Hurray, Brianna!!! You are a rock star :) Let us know if you take the job.

12. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 14, 2008

:2up:Congrats Brianna:2up:

13. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 14, 2008

Congrats!!!! That is awesome! SMARTBoards are fun too :)

14. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 14, 2008

Aww, thanks everyone. :) STG, yes it does feel good to have multiple offers but I bet the same thing will happen to you once those principals stop dragging their feet!

Lemon, no I don't have any more interviews scheduled this week. However, there isn't another district that I'm holding out for or anything. The things I heard about this school today sounded good so I think I'll feel pretty good accepting the position. I kept going back and forth on that 6th grade offer, but so far this feels like a better fit.

ST82, I had a SMARTboard when I student taught and I LOVED it! So do the kids, so it was a lot easier to get them to come up and answer things on the board.

~Briana~

15. smalltowngal

Apr 15, 2008

Briana, I hope that you're right. Principals over here need to hurry up!!! If the HS job seems to be a better fit, then that's probably the best bet for you!

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 15, 2008

I need to vent... it's not BAD, just wacky so I want to vent.

So, on Friday last, the principal from DD DS called to offer me a demo lesson opportunity. She wanted me to do it in my student teaching room (K/1). The position is 2/3. So when I called the office to schedule it, I mentioned I'd be practicing a 2/3 demo lesson in Mrs. G's room, and did the secretary think P would be interested in seeing it. Mistake! Secretary said, "Oh, I think so!" and we started trying to schedule it. The only time that worked for P was the time when another ST was subbing, and he interviewed and did a demo for this job. Sensitive situation. Now I don't have a time to practice my demo (practice for ANOTHER SCHOOL INTERVIEW) and I have two teachers at my DD DS on hold as they don't know when or IF I'm coming to do my demo lesson. :(

Not bad news, like I said, just wacky and I don't like it. I really want this job. Don't want to be a nutter calling and emailing and being wacky.

17. smalltowngal

Apr 15, 2008

So the only time the P could see your demo lesson is the same day (and in the same class) that a ST sub is in the class?

18. smalltowngal

Apr 15, 2008

Well there are some English and Social Studies positions that just posted for two middle schools in a nearby district that I've already applied to. I'm going to email the principals now.

19. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 15, 2008

Good luck, STG!

~Briana~

20. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 15, 2008

Good to hear there are more openings. Hope they respond to your emails.:2up:

21. smalltowngal

Apr 15, 2008

I hope so too! Here's crossing my fingers!! Funny thing is that I worked at this district too.

22. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 15, 2008

Are you goint to drop off the resume and coverletter too, stg?

23. smalltowngal

Apr 15, 2008

I don't know, lemon. It's a 20 minute drive one way and right now no $$ for driving anywhere extra.

24. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 15, 2008

I hear ya. It's crazy isn't it? Have you already sent on there?

25. smalltowngal

Apr 15, 2008

I emailed the two middle school principals. One emailed me back saying that he didn't have any english or social studies positions so that means it's the other middle school hiring those positions.

I've applied to 5 districts and will go to a district job fair next Saturday.

26. smalltowngal

Apr 16, 2008

Okay, so the middle school principal that I actually talked that said interviews would be in a coule of weeks wasn't lying (apparently) because the English position I wanted disappeared and now a math position at the same school has been taken down. Can I just scream out loud?

[​IMG]

27. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 16, 2008

Yes you can...and the neighbors better be able to hear you.:mad:

28. smalltowngal

Apr 16, 2008

Well, the neighbors aren't home, but I had me a good yell!!! This principal is retiring at the end of this year. I just hate that he had to get my hopes in saying that he had my information. Just tell me that you looked at it, but I didnt have the experience in MS you were looking for. How hard is that?!?

29. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 16, 2008

Oh, I'm sorry, STG! I agree that it would be nice if all administrators would just come out and say exactly what they're thinking. Actually kind of sounds like a former relationship of mine... :down:

Better luck with the other positions you've applied for!

~Briana~

30. smalltowngal

Apr 16, 2008

Thanks, Briana! I've had the same problem with this principal this entire year when positions have come up. Guess it means that I'm not supposed to be there.

31. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 16, 2008

Yes, that's what I wish I could say when an interviewer asks me what I expect of the principal or administration. "I expect an honest and respectful relationship. I want to hear the real truth, not some sort of weasle worded confusion of speech that is supposed to manipulate me somehow. 'K?"

32. smalltowngal

Apr 16, 2008

Ah, to be able to tell the truth...:whistle:

33. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 16, 2008

It is not hard and I don't know why they just can't say that. It is either over the phone or in email, and they don't have the guts to say it. It seems like it would be easy to do, "yes we received your info, and although it is impressive we have other candidates who are better qualified for this position. If something comes up we will have your resume on file." Boom done.

34. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 16, 2008

Briana- Congrats on accepting that job! You must be super excited. Will you be able to teach the oceanography course this coming year?

35. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 16, 2008

I had my interview on Friday. The principal said I would hear from him one way or another the first of the week. It's Wednesday evening and I haven't heard anything... I'm starting to wonder...

36. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 16, 2008

Girl! You need to follow up tomorrow for sure!!!

37. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 16, 2008

Should I e-mail his secretary? Call his secretary? E-mail him? Call him?

38. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 16, 2008

Lemon, I probably won't teach oceanography this coming year because I think they really need someone to cover the biology and physical science. I am going to meet with the assistant principal soon to talk about what classes he needs to cover and what I am best suited to teach. They haven't hired a principal for next year yet so I actually interviewed with the director of special ed for the district. I'll know more once I talk to this assistant principal.

~Briana~

39. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 17, 2008

Call, leave him a message if you have to on his voice mail. Ask him if he has come to a decision, that you want the job (if you do), and you were hoping to hear something since you have another interview planned or whatever. Make sure you specifically ask him to call you. He told you he would and he hasn't so he has to respect your request.

Lemon-
    Don't be cranky like me though!

40. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 17, 2008

I am so mad:mad: Not one phone call or response to my emails. I see more postings going up in my DD. But, they aren't for grades within my range of experience. Hopefully, more will come and someone will call me...PLEASE!!! I feel so helpless. I have done everything I can think of, and what advice has been given here on atoz.