Jobseekers-Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jw13, Mar 13, 2008.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

It's a foot in the door and you might find that you really like it. YOu have a lot going on. How many interviews have you had?

2. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 8, 2008

STG, I'll definitely call for details and go to the interview. Like you said, the practice is good if nothing else. And I like poking around schools in general--it think it is interesting to see everything!

Lemon, this is only my third interview. It's just that the second one seemed to create a lot of drama for me, so I posted a lot about it! :) You're right about a foot in the door, but unfortunately it's not the district I'm trying to get into!

Well, I'll just see how it goes. Right now I'll just be plankton. :D

~Briana~

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2008

Well, I dropped off my packet to the school with the 4th grade position today. The principal was going to be out all day, but the secretary said she would give it to him first thing in the morning.

4. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 9, 2008

It's another opportunity for an interview STG. I have my fingers crossed that they call you. :)

5. smalltowngal

Apr 9, 2008

I hope so. I dropped off my packet a few weeks ago at another school where the principal wasn't there. Haven't heard anything from him, but that they should start interviewing in the next week or so.

Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you as well!

6. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Apr 9, 2008

jw13 & STG (heck, ALL of us awesome teachers...

(¯`'•.¸(¯`'•.¸ positive thoughts for landing the best job ever!! ¸.•'´¯)¸.•'´¯)

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 9, 2008

Thanks...Eddie:)

8. smalltowngal

Apr 9, 2008

Yeah, thanks Eddie! I like the "vibes".

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 9, 2008

STG- I hope you hear something tomorrow or soon. I wish I could hire you all!!

Lemon

10. smalltowngal

Apr 9, 2008

Thanks, lemon! I wish that too. I'm sure that we'll all be on here soon telling everyone that we have jobs but the waiting is killing me!

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 9, 2008

I know! Let's make our own school! The A to Z Academy.

12. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 9, 2008

I'm in....Can I have the first grade?

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 9, 2008

Well, just wanted to say that after reading this entire thread, I can comfortably say that I'm not as neurotic as I thought I was :p Just kidding, y'all! I guess we're all panicking and over-thinking this whole process.

It's crazy, isn't it?

Anyway, so glad this site exists. I'd go crazy if I had no one else to chat schoolstuff with.

Speaking of, I'm thinking of dropping off a packet to a school I'm interested in, but I don't know "how." What do I say? Do I ask for the principal directly, or is that too forward? Do I wear a suit? (I only have one - I need to "save" that for interviews :rolleyes:) Any tips would be lovely :love:

14. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

Pisces...drop off your packet like you might actually get an interview, wear the suit. You could always buy a different blouse to go with it later. I always ask for the principle, although I have yet to encounter one in the building. But, I am prepared to say "Hi, my name is jw13. I saw the posting for "my favorite grade". I came to drop my resume packet off with you. Thank you for your time." Anything beyond that would be lead by the principal. If you don't get the P, be really gracious to the sec., say your name, why you are there, and thank her for her time also. Good Luck!:2up:

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 10, 2008

Sure! I hear there is a bumper crop of first grade so I'll take the other first grade position:)

16. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

We could team teach Lemon:2up:

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 10, 2008

I'm all in!!!

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

So, Lemon, I take it you really would like to teach first grade. What about that grade do you really like?

19. smalltowngal

Apr 10, 2008

Well,I know that cMcD would want 4th grade so I'll take 5th grade!

jw, that is exactly what I said when I dropped off my packet to the school. Both principals were out for the day though. Did you call a couple of days afterwards to make sure they received it?

20. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

No, because you get the secretary. They are like bodyguards.

21. smalltowngal

Apr 10, 2008

I know one of the principals has my packet because he said he had it when he told me that they would be interviewing in a couple of weeks. Still waiting.....[​IMG]

Of course, I won't start worrying until the end of next week.

22. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

*tick, tick, tick* That is how everyday feels.

23. smalltowngal

Apr 10, 2008

Exactly!!

24. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 10, 2008

Well, I had my interview today (7:30 this morning, ugh!) for the middle school position. It is for 6th grade earth science. The principal, AP, and one of the 6th grade team leaders were interviewing me and they were all so nice! It was very comfortable and more like a casual conversation about the school than a super formal interview. I was actually pleasantly surprised because I showed up 20 minutes late! The mapquest directions were flat out wrong and I found myself driving around subdivisions until I managed to locate a gas station. The woman inside gave me directions, but I ended up at a different middle school than the one I was trying to find! I went into the office at the "wrong" school and finally got good directions to the school I was looking for.

When I finally got there (already thinking I'd blown it), I apologized to the principal and she was very understanding. Apparently another recent interviewee had the same problem. I guess now I'll wait and see what comes of it. They want to make a decision tomorrow or Monday at the latest. I sent off a thank you e-mail already because I wanted to make sure she got it before making a final decision.

I still am not 100% sure that I want to teach middle school, but I am warming up to the idea, especially after talking to some of my classmates today and hearing about why they love middle school. There is a lot of oceanography in earth science, so that would be great to be able to teach it right off the bat. However, 6th graders just seem so young!

First things first--let's just see if I get an offer.

~Briana~

25. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

Sounds promising Briana. It is good that they will notify by Mon. At least you won't be wondering.:2up:

26. smalltowngal

Apr 10, 2008

Sounds like it went very well Briana. The casual conversation feeling is always a good sign. Keeping my fingers crossed until Monday!

27. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 10, 2008

I just got another call for an interview--this time at a high school about 45 minutes away. Guess that means it is time to get the hiring done! So all of you who are waiting patiently, your interview must be just around the corner. :)

~Briana~

28. smalltowngal

Apr 10, 2008

That's great, Briana!! Thanks for the encouraging words.

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 11, 2008

Oh so many things JW. They are already broken in to school life and so are their parents. I think they are just adorable and most are old enough to get humor and they are also very funny. I love to have fun when I teach and I just think that grade is so fun, missing teeth and all. They are so excited to learn and they do learn so much from the beginning to the end of they year. I just want to be a part of that. I am also very familiar with the curriculum in first. I like second grade a lot too.

Lemon

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 11, 2008

I'm glade your interview went well and congrats on the next one/

Lemon

31. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 11, 2008

Wow! That is exactly how I feel about the grade. I haven't taught 2nd, but am interested because I hear it is very much like first, but a little step up. It hurts to see the first/second grade posting and not have a call yet, I so want to be in those classrooms. Hopefully, soon.:2up:

32. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 11, 2008

You go girl:2up: Can't wait to hear the outcomes. I'm sure you will have an offer soon.:up:

33. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 11, 2008

Thanks guys (or gals, I suppose)! I actually just got off the phone with the P from the middle school. She says the 6th grade position is mine if I want it! :woot: I'm going to go see what the high school position is like on Monday, but it's nice to have options!

The middle school position definitely has a lot going for it; the administration seems fabulous, I like the subject matter (even if it isn't biology, it's a close second), it's a pretty easy commute, and I think 6th graders are probably more excited about the types of activities I like to do than high schoolers. I can always try it for a few years and move up to high school later...

Maybe I should celebrate by heading over to that party at mmswm's house! You guys are really rockin' it out over there. :up:

~Briana~

34. smalltowngal

Apr 11, 2008

That's great, Briana! Congrats!!

jw, I see those positions just sitting there, and knowing that interviews should be starting soon, but not getting any calls is killing me. I just want to be in my own classroom next year. The sooner I know, the less I have to stress about.

35. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 11, 2008

I don't understand why they are just sitting there. The first one I applied to over two months ago is still sitting there. It's like some cruel joke...I know I have the qualifications and experience...COME ON SOMEONE CALL STG & ME...NOW SO WE CAN ENJOY OUR SUMMER.

36. smalltowngal

Apr 11, 2008

Amen, sister!! The first position I applied for (where the P said interviews would start next week) has been up since 2/15!!

37. smalltowngal

Apr 11, 2008

Well, I emailed HR to make sure my app was completed and on file. She said that it was and that principals would call for interviews probably early May since TAKS tests will be completely over by the beginning of May.

38. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 11, 2008

I think this is silly. I can see if they don't want to interview on TAKS day but TAKS month? If I was a principal I would want to start before then. They still might, just because HR is saying that doesn't mean that is the rule.

39. smalltowngal

Apr 11, 2008

I hope your right Lemon! I've had one P that said he was starting interviews next week.

40. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 11, 2008

My "fortunately unfortunately" story took another turn today. I had my last day student teaching. I went home. The phone rang, and the principal said, "I decided just this minute. I'm going to give you a chance at a job here. Can you do a demo lesson next week?" Jaw dropping silence from me..... then YES! Anytime, anywhere, just say the word! So, here I go, plankton-ly floating along. :)

Thankfully, my daughters are on spring break next week so I am DONE and can sleep in for a whole week :)