Jobseekers-Good/Bad

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jw13, Mar 13, 2008.

1. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 31, 2008

I'm starting to freak out already about the job search. I cannot live where I'm living for one more year. I was talking to my dad on the phone last night and he said, "Well you can't resign until you have a job lined up." My parents will kill me if I resign and don't get a job for next year. The thing is I can't teach/live here anymore. The thought of not being a teacher next year freaks me out. I'm looking in the Indianapolis area and they don't like to tell you that you're hired until August. We're planning on moving to Indy this summer too. What side of town are we supposed to move to if I don't know where I'm teaching? I have a job fair in 3 weeks. 15 Indianapolis districts will be there. I'm going to be a massive stress ball this summer I can say that for sure.

2. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2008

I think they just keep making more hoops to jump Bree... (you sound kinda down, soo I hope you don't mind me calling you Bree :))

and...jmo..when somebody wants you bad enough, they know how to re-write a job description. that AP could have brought you in, and let you work on that certification during the summer and next school year. a slight technicality...I say...

as long as you show your are 'in progress' there is really nothing anyone can say.

which is a heck of lot different from folks who lie, get the job, and then get found out...and that is just bad news all the way around...but those are the folks who make it hard for everyone else!!

p.s. there is always hope...

don't be surprised if one day, somebody calls you and says that their original candidate didn't work out, and would you consider taking the job, ('cause now they know you are qualified)!!!

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2008

try getting a local paper, or check on line for news and info from each area. You really don't know where you want to live, and that is not fair. So find out as much as you can, so you got something to go by. Let your Dad know that you love him, but you can't go on being be miserable ...AND

you can't run the risk of getting fired and getting a terrible mark on your records and mess up any hope of a good reference! He should understand ...

if that doesn't work...start leaving early, coming in late, and take off a few sick days in the middle of the week. that will make these last few months go by a little easier...

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 31, 2008

Well... my DD (from whom I received a "rejection letter") actually sent me a "wait" letter. I found out from the principal today that I got the "wait" letter which says, "Unfortunately, we cannot offer you a position at this time." Not the "no" letter that says, "We have no positions that match your skills." So I'm still in the running.

That's why I'm plankton. Otherwise, I'd have whiplash from the highs and lows :D

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 31, 2008

Briana, I'm sorry! I just read your post about the other person being hired. Bugger!!!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2008

Briana, I'm sorry about that. Colleges really need to help people out more with what is needed to get a job after graduation.

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

Brianna...so sorry to hear about that position. Universities and colleges really need to be on top of the information for graduates. I hope that something great comes along...even better than that last position.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2008

Briana, I'm sorry to hear that. Now, you do have an offer from another school, right?

cMcD, they wait until August? That seems strange! Maybe they'll let you know in June before you move.

Well, the 4th grade position that was posted is no longer there. I'm thinking that someone in the school was already hired for it, it was filled by a transfer, or the teacher decided not to leave. But that doesn't change the fact that that is one position less I have to look forward to interviewing for.

How is everyone else doing today?

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

Yes! They toy with people's lives! My friend didn't find out that she got her job until August.

How can I delicately mention in interviews that I'm moving and the sooner I get a position the sooner I'll be able to find a place to live? Haha! I'm hoping they will say, "She's amazing! We have to snatch her up before another corporation does!" :)

Sorry about the 4th grade position. I'm sure there will be plenty more. Especially the good news about the upcoming interviews that you mentioned.

I put together part of my job fair packets today (3 letters of rec and teaching certificate). I think I'm going to buy new cover reports. I feel like these will come apart easily. I don't want to look cheap. Should I include more than my resume, cover letter, 3 letters of rec, and teaching cert? Someone recommended a lesson plan and classroom management plan, but I think the packets will be too bulky. I mean if they take the time to visit my wonderful website they'll find out a lot about me. :)

10. smalltowngal

Apr 1, 2008

I'm not sure the best way to put that you need an answer fast. Maybe something like, "My husband and I are planning on moving to the city in June/July. (something about moving to a certain part of the city to be closer to the school here) Can you tell me when you might have a candidate in mind?" I don't know! As far as the packets go, since you do have that wonderful website, then I would just stick with what you have in there now.

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

How about I go up to the principal after the interview and start shaking him or her saying, "Just tell me!!!" :lol:

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

I am behind on this but I am wondering if you ever found out about the one job that was supposed to be making a decision on a Monday or Tuesday...(Not the one that you earned back the interview)

Lemon

13. smalltowngal

Apr 1, 2008

You never know, cMcD, the principal could like that bold, forthcoming approach. :D

14. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 1, 2008

I have interviewed for two positions so far--the first was at a school I wasn't all that excited about and I was offered the job a couple days later. I eventually called to turn it down and don't really regret that decision even in light of not getting the job from my second interview (the one that I had to earn back).

So I spent the afternoon looking into more districts and branching out a bit farther. Now it's looking like either I'll have a commute or I'll be relocating.

~Briana~

15. smalltowngal

Apr 1, 2008

So you turned down the job where you would be teaching 5th grade? What was the deal breaker for you? That stinks about your top choice school. I wish the AP could do something to get around that certification that you will have before next year.......

16. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

I am needing a glimmer of hope. Another positions was removed. Still, 3 others remain. No new postings and the districts are back from Spring Break. Two districts haven't posted any elem. ed. positions. Between the two schools, that is 20-25 elem. buildings. I can't believe they have no openings yet. Blah...Blah...Blah...Can't they just throw me a bone?

Yes...cMcD....you should shake him and tell him "I JUST GOTTA KNOW!"

17. smalltowngal

Apr 1, 2008

jw, I don't know if its different in IL than here, but my sister said that contracts went out last week so I'm sure there will be more postings. Its still early enough to not panic. :)

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

Well, here in IL, you submit you intent form by I think March 1, and teachers are notified March 15th or 30th if they are pink slipped, I'm not sure. So, I don't really know when all the action is going to happen. The districts and schools are so vague about it. But, I have to remember I have done all I can to this point. I applied online, electronically submitted my inten, and hand-delivered my resume packets...plus I updated my portfolio and created a website. It is out of my hands now.

19. smalltowngal

Apr 1, 2008

I'm sure some things will come up. This is a busy time for principals with trying to get things done before the end of the year, thinking about staffing for next year.....Keep positive thoughts!

20. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 1, 2008

If this was a response to me, the first job was a high school biology position. It was a nice enough school, but the principal said that they don't teach evolution because they are in the Bible belt. Ummm, it's in the state standards?!?!?! My students will have questions on the EOCT about it!

It was also a bit farther than I wanted to commute (though now I guess I don't have much of a choice), and the principal reminded me of a used car salesman the way he was trying to "sell" his school.

~Briana~

21. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

Side story:

I had a principal lie to me last year in an interview. His secretary called me 18 hours before the interview and asked me to put together a formal lesson plan on standard XYZ (6th grade science) and be prepared to present. I freaked out, was at Kinko's making color overheads at 10 PM. I get to the school and the secretary says, "Are you one that has to do a lesson plan?" Where there others that didn't?!?! I get in to the interview and say something along the lines of "Yeah, I was in a rush because I wasn't given much time to prepare for this." The principal says to me, "I tried contacting you but you were still in Ireland." I thought about it and I didn't apply for this position until I was back in the US. I just said, "Oh, how strange." I wanted to say, "I've been back in the US for almost a month you liar!" Needless to say I wasn't heart broken when I didn't get the position.

22. smalltowngal

Apr 1, 2008

Oh, okay. So the 5th grade position was the job in your top district? So confusing to me, sorry. That perfect job is out there for you. And just think, if you've already been offered a job this early, more offers will follow.

23. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Apr 1, 2008

Opinions Please

If you were asked to interview at a school where it is said that the principal is, shall we say, nuts, what would you do? This will be my first interview, so I am going. I worry that she will offer me the job and put me on the spot right then and there. I need a job, but do I settle for something like this based on what others say?

24. smalltowngal

Apr 1, 2008

I would go just for the experience. If she offers you a job right on the spot, just say that you need some time to think it over and discuss it with family and will give her an answer by ___________.

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

Okay I think my post disappeared.

I am sorry this happened! I think this seems backwards. I understand that they want broad certification but here in Texas, you aren't a "highly qualified" teacher in secondary unless you have the nitch certification. At least that is how I read it.

Anyway, I am sorry and I understand what you mean about going that route so you would have the guidance. Not that it will make you feel any better but I bet you DO have better guidance than if you would have gone the ACP route.

Sorry I am late :hugs:

Lemon

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

I missed something -- why can't you live and work there? Have you just had it or is there another reason.

Believe me, I total understand the stress!!!

Lemon

27. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

Lemon

28. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

Hang on Plankton--- just this hiring round you got BOTH?!!! Or did you realize with the help of the P that it was really a "wait" letter?

QUESTION FOR ALL: Do most school who interview you send you a rejection letter? Do most districts who don't interview you but you fill out an app send a rejection letter?

Lemonhead

29. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

I agree too bulky and not necessary for the job fair.

lemon

30. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

Someone got the 5th grade job---who was it?

31. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

I guess it depends on what the meaning of "nuts" is? Seriously. Do they mean she is nuts and will offer you a job and then forget? Or do they mean she is nuts like a total weirdo with crazy rules and such where teachers are trying to get out of there?

Either way, I would go to the interview and I would see for yourself just how nutso she is. I mean if she is horrible how long can she really stay principal? (oh nevermind on that last point)

Lemon

32. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

I'm relocating to Indianapolis from another part of the state (3 hours). Indianapolis is a large city. My top choices of districts are on the north side and southwest side. I don't know where to start looking for a place to live because if I get a place on the southwest side and get a job on the north side I'll have to commute 30-45 minutes everyday or vice versa.

33. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

Okay- so you are choosing to leave your job then right? I get it. I have that same travel thing here. Plus with the price of gas, I can drive 100 miles a day-Yikes!

I think when your interview gets to the point where they ask you if you have any questions, you come up with a good one or two and then include a question that pertains to the relocating. "My husband and I are definitely relocating to the Indy area and are looking at homes in the different districts (areas) where I am interviewing. I am wondering if you have an idea of when you will actually choose your candidate?" I think they can figure it out that you want to know so you can live close by where you work.

34. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

STG- Yes I did have an interview at the place where I saw the crappy cover letter and where 2 other people were interviewing. It bummed me out to see the two others interviewing and to see the really bad cover letter. Yes I did assume they were interviewing the person. I am still waiting to here from them. There is nothing I can do at this point.

JW- With that many schools in the districts where you applied, there are jobs open, they just aren't posted yet. I bet they have to take care of looking at people who want to transfer and all that kind of thing. Have you called or emailed the P's where you have personally applied? My main district still has yet to post a school specific position. I hear they won't until the 15th of April.

Lemon

35. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

Yes, I'm currently teaching in the town I grew up in. It's very boring. My bf is from the southern part of the state and we're living in the northern part so Indy is the half-way point.

Thanks for the suggestion! That's a good way to word it.

36. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

How do I word a question about administrative support to use in interviews? It is greatly lacking in my current position.

37. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

CMCD

I once found this on the internet and I saved it. (I don't really know why) Anyway, can you sort of point out which thing you think is most lacking about where you are now? Then I can help you better

Everyone expects a principal to provide "administrative support" for teachers, but the precise meaning of that term is usually quite elusive. Too often, it is used to criticize the principal for failing to respond immediately and unconditionally to a staff member's request. In order to bring a sense of clarity to the term, researchers at the University of South Florida asked new teachers to clarify the term "administrative support" and give specific advice to principals about what it means. The top ranked "administrative support" behaviors identified by the 270 teachers involved in this study were:

Show up. Visit classrooms to see what kinds of special things might be going on. Beyond formal observations, stop by teachers’ classes to witness special projects, student activities, or student-produced exhibits or displays. Work to understand what teachers are doing and the issues they face. In essence, use your presence to show that you are interested in the academic program and teachers’ work.

Back me up.
    In matters of discipline, help teachers devise reasonable solutions to discipline problems, then assist them in applying the strategies in their classes. Be helpful in dealing with parents and district office administrators.

Lend a hand. Help teachers find resources, solve problems, and take advantage of growth opportunities. Support their continued professional growth and provide help and information related to their specific problems and needs.

Show appreciation. It’s not necessary to create elaborate reward systems, but simple, informal recognition of good work or exceptional effort is a major indicator of support. Notes, accolades at faculty meetings, celebrations, and private compliments go a long way toward making teachers feel valued and respected.

Let me in on things.
    Teachers feel most effective when they feel included in what’s going on in the school. They don’t necessarily want extensive roles in formal school governance, but they do want to know what’s happening and how it will affect them and their students. They also want a voice in those things that affect them most directly.

Respect my time. Time is the most precious commodity in a school. Teachers cherish leaders who respect their time by keeping meetings brief and focused, not placing unnecessary non-instructional demands on teachers, and protecting their time from the demands of district administrators.

Maintain an orderly environment. School activities that are chaotic, unpredictable, and unplanned are very disturbing to teachers. Be sure that school routines are clearly established, that special events are planned well in advance, and that the overall environment of the school is calm and business-like.

These certainly sound simple enough, but, as every principal knows, finding the time, energy and resources needed to give this support can be a real challenge. To help meet the expectations of the school staff, the following websites offer resources designed to address time management, discipline, classroom management, instruction, and parent relations challenges and issues.

38. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

My current administration struggles in the departments of:

Back me up
    Lend a hand
    Let me in on things

39. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 1, 2008

Let me in on things is a communication question and should be sort of staight forward. You could ask about staff meetings weekly briefings to keep teachers abreast of changes and happenings in the school.

The other 2 I would say: "I'm often told I am very low maintenance when it comes to my job but I am curious as to what sort of procedure is in place for teachers here who may need some guidance or back up related to how they handle a particular situation." Then follow up with, "I assume it would be a similar process when a teacher is seeking help with resources for professional development or is that something they figure out on their own?"

40. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 1, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions!

My current principal is very non-confrontational. We have some serious disciplinary situations going on right now and all she seems to do is say, "Now stop doing that." The kids walk all over the recess duty aides, lunch aides, and teachers because they know she won't do anything to them. If she does it's no recess and eating lunch in the library. Whoopty-doo.